Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Whats the result on this?

Scenario:

Player A and player B throw the same disc on the same hole both clearly marked. They have similar shots. Player B marks his lie and throws his approach, putts out and moves on to the next hole. Player A sees what he believes is his disc 20 foot or so into water and is unable to retrieve the disc. Marks his lie as ob and plays the hole out.

Player A gets a 4p
    Player B gets a 3

Several holes later Player B realizes he has player A's disc.

Several holes later...its too late to make any calls or enforce any penalties.

However, if it were discovered right away then the ruling is: play out the hole from the wrong lie and add two strokes...

803.10 Throwing From Another Player's Lie

A. A player who has thrown from another player's lie shall receive two penalty throws, without
    a warning. The offending player shall complete the hole as if the other player's lie were his
    or her own. No throws shall be replayed.

B. The player whose lie was played by the offending player shall be given an approximate lie as
    close to the original lie as possible, as determined by the offending player, a majority of his
    or her group, or an official. See section 803.11 C if the disc has been declared lost.
    Team DISCRAFT
    NW Sign Up
    Gorilla Boy
    Paragon Disc Golf
    Odwalla

Comment

It's never too late for penalties until the TD has given out awards and declares the event is over. Two rules can be used to handle this situation and both result in each player getting two throws added to the scores they recorded (4p & 3). Rule 801.04D on misplays discovered after additional holes have been completed adds 2 throws per player. Or, 803.13A(2) on inadvertently not holing out adds 2 throws to each player. The fact that Player B played from another player's lie and caused Player A to also play from another player's lie gets washed out since player A didn't discover the problem while the hole was being played to get the proper lie and no penalty.

Comment

So does player A still receive the penalty stroke for being ob?

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDees View Post
          So does player A still receive the penalty stroke for being ob?
          i think player a should have the penalty stroke removed because it was player b that was ob

Comment

Nope. Each player gets the score they recorded + 2. Both players screwed up even though player B started the cascade of errors. The only way player A wouldn't get any penalty is if he (or Player B) discovered the problem before he marked and threw. Once he threw, he had played from another player's lie and would complete the hole with a 2-shot penalty and not get the OB penalty. Once the hole was apparently completed before the error was discovered, the presumed score stands and the 2-shot misplay/incomplete penalty is added. I think the revised rules for 2011 are going to require that discs be marked on both sides to reduce the need for flipping discs for identification and help prevent situations like this.

Comment

Is there a penalty if player A kicks player B in the groin for being such a douche? Or would he get a warning first?

Comment

Originally posted by LakeStevensBA View Post
                Is there a penalty if player A kicks player B in the groin for being such a douche? Or would he get a warning first?
                personily i would call it an ace and give player A the $1 and sign his disc

Comment

That wouldn't be a foot fault?
                  The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                  ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                    I think the revised rules for 2011 are going to require that discs be marked on both sides to reduce the need for flipping discs for identification and help prevent situations like this.
                    Ugly!

Comment

"I think the revised rules for 2011 are going to require that discs be marked on both sides to reduce the need for flipping discs for identification and help prevent situations like this."

Chuck, can the rule be a bit more complex, allowing discs that are unique (i.e., dyed discs) to not have to be marked on both sides? I understand the need for production discs, but a dyed disc is, in and of itself, a unique identifier. Just a thought for all those guys out there who don't want to tag up their pretties.

Comment

Originally posted by essjay View Post
                        "I think the revised rules for 2011 are going to require that discs be marked on both sides to reduce the need for flipping discs for identification and help prevent situations like this."

Chuck, can the rule be a bit more complex, allowing discs that are unique (i.e., dyed discs) to not have to be marked on both sides? I understand the need for production discs, but a dyed disc is, in and of itself, a unique identifier. Just a thought for all those guys out there who don't want to tag up their pretties.
                        can the 2011 revised rules have something that disallows for jack asses to play the sport...
                        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by essjay View Post

I'm guessing that it will. The current rules don't require a name and phone number, although that's what most of us use to uniquely mark our discs. They simply require a "unique identifier". I'd assume that a dyed disc qualifies.

Comment

I think the rule would likely be similar to the current one which would say something like, "uniquely marked on both sides." That would allow for dyed sides to not have a mark on them if the dye and disc color combo was unique. But how would you know that more weren't made unless you dyed it yourself?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                              I think the rule would likely be similar to the current one which would say something like, "uniquely marked on both sides." That would allow for dyed sides to not have a mark on them if the dye and disc color combo was unique. But how would you know that more weren't made unless you dyed it yourself?
                              In all honestly, I think that proposed rule is absurd. It sounds like a knee-jerk solution to a non-problem. Seriously, if someone makes a mistake and throws from the wrong lie because they didn't bother to make certain it was their disc, then they take the penalty. That should be the end of it.
                              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X