Ten Meter Marking Rule Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • Ten Meter Marking Rule

    This came up in the tournament last weekend and there seemed to be some confusion.

    The question is if your disc is on top of the ten meter line. Meaning the front of the disc is inside ten meters and the back of the disc is outside ten meters are you allowed to jump putt as long as you don't mark your disc?

    The only thing I found in the rules adressing this is

    "Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt."

    The rule doesn't specifically say anything about not marking the disc in which case there would be no marker disc.

    Opinions?
    Read this ^

  • #2
    Sounds like if you choose to mark your lie with a mini, you don't get to jump putt.

    Simple answer, don't mark with a mini.
    Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

    DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

    Comment


    • #3
      If you choose not to mark with a mini (can't do this if you want to throw the same disc again!), the disc becomes the marker.
      Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
      Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
      Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
      Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
      Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

      Comment


      • #4
        so if the disc is the marker, and it's more than 10 meters, jump away

        Comment


        • #5
          You can jump putt if you don't mark with a mini and leave your disc as a marker. However, note that the painted line is not official and the distance should be measured with a tape if there's any question about the distance. I've seen Feldberg occasionally checking distances with a tape even when 10m circles are painted.

          Comment


          • #6
            At what point does measuring become time wasting
            rewindb.com

            Comment


            • #7
              How can it be wasting time if the pdga allows for it? If it is allowed as per the rule book it's not about time wasting, it's about playing within the rules set down by the governing body.
              educate your thinking

              Comment


              • #8
                Originally posted by JMan View Post
                How can it be wasting time if the pdga allows for it? If it is allowed as per the rule book it's not about time wasting, it's about playing within the rules set down by the governing body.
                I concur. If it's a questionable distance, I don't jump putt anyway...except when the group agrees that the lie is outside the line.
                Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

                Comment


                • #9
                  As a TD, I am concerned about how long it takes to play each round. My point is if it's close WHY push it?

                  Side note At the too casual round of doubles yesterday falling putts and stance violations were the most abused rules of the round. I educated/evaluated/ re-educated/ Warned and made this guy re putt three times in 19 holes. He almost seemed pissed at me for enforcing two of the most basic rules of this game.

                  So my question is What are the most important rules we need to adhere too even during casual play.

                  I think of five
                  Don't advance ahead of play
                  Falling putt
                  Stance(in the neighborhood of the mini (fairway) and putting footwork)
                  Don't break shit
                  Pack it in Pack it out
                  rewindb.com

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                    I think of five
                    Don't advance ahead of play
                    Falling putt
                    Stance(in the neighborhood of the mini (fairway) and putting footwork)
                    Don't break shit

                    Pack it in Pack it out
                    I concur. I wish people would just pay attention and learn/abide the rules.
                    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      I was just thinking the same thing (though I could use some work on it myself).
                      The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
                      ...but it plays one on TV.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                        You can jump putt if you don't mark with a mini and leave your disc as a marker. However, note that the painted line is not official and the distance should be measured with a tape if there's any question about the distance. I've seen Feldberg occasionally checking distances with a tape even when 10m circles are painted.
                        The reason that I thought you could not jump (putt jump) in the circumstance mentioned above is that the same question came up in Feldberg's latest viral putting video

                        http://www.svdgc.org/forums/index.ph...=232&#entry232

                        He answers that regardless if you mark or not you can not jump (putt jump). I'm not trying to bash Feldberg. He seems like a good guy to me. But if you are touring the country giving clinics, are a member of the PDGA board, and one of the most recognizable people in Disc Golf you should make sure you are giving people the correct information about the rules of the game because they will usually assume you are correct.

                        The guy is an incredible player and teacher of the game and I would gladly pay money to take one of his classes. I hope he continues to travel and give technique clinics.
                        Last edited by DMajor; April 13th, 2010, 05:59 PM.
                        Read this ^

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Sorry. I meant putt jump or the Feldberg step thru. Either way, you can follow thru from behind the 10m arc as long as your supporting foot is still on the ground before releasing your shot.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Originally posted by DMajor View Post
                            This came up in the tournament last weekend and there seemed to be some confusion.

                            The question is if your disc is on top of the ten meter line. Meaning the front of the disc is inside ten meters and the back of the disc is outside ten meters are you allowed to jump putt as long as you don't mark your disc?

                            The only thing I found in the rules adressing this is

                            "Putt: Any throw from 10 meters or less as measured from the rear of the marker disc to the base of the hole is considered a putt."

                            The rule doesn't specifically say anything about not marking the disc in which case there would be no marker disc.

                            Opinions?
                            Dave Feldberg said that 10 meters was actually 33 feet. He also said that there "isn't any such thing as a 'jump putt' it's actually a 'putt jump... : 0
                            Rely on Me

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              Dave is on the board of the PDGa
                              Rely on Me

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X