X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• bunker rule

Could I please have this rule explained to me? Thanks.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

i believe if it is designated a bunker shot. you retee with no OB penalty until reaching the appropiated landing area. So instead of shooting 3 off the pad your shooting 2 after throwing into a "bunker" ob area

Comment

If you're talking about the way the infamous Hole 17 is played at USDGC, bunker is actually spelled "buncr"... which I assume is partly to distinguish it from ball golf bunkers (no penalty for hitting into the sand in ball golf).

The way DoubleDees describes it is how the Buncrs work at USDGC, but that's only one option. According to Chuck Kennedy (via dgcoursereview), who is credited with inventing the bunker concept:

"A buncr is a marked area where a player may not take a stance. The designer may define the player's lie to be marked either on the line of play away from the basket, a drop zone or a rethrow from the previous lie. No additional penalty throw is applied, unlike OB. The only 'penalty' is some distance lost."
      If you're mostly interested in how the rethrow Buncrs worked at the '09 USDGC, check out the caddy book, page 12, rule 2.
      anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

I had heard that if you land in a bunker area you throw from there with a stroke added. Didn't think it was correct I a I asked. Thanks.
        Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

I'd like to experience this rule in action. It seems that it would make for more interesting golf to watch, because without the penalty stroke it becomes more appealing to take a run at a dangerous green instead of laying up. Perhaps some of the local weeklies should start experimenting with this on our local courses. For instance, the monster Laurel on Seatac #2 might serve well as a buncr, but there would need to be some way to mark the boundaries, plus it might require a spotter during PDGA events
          The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
            I'd like to experience this rule in action. It seems that it would make for more interesting golf to watch, because without the penalty stroke it becomes more appealing to take a run at a dangerous green instead of laying up. Perhaps some of the local weeklies should start experimenting with this on our local courses. For instance, the monster Laurel on Seatac #2 might serve well as a buncr, but there would need to be some way to mark the boundaries, plus it might require a spotter during PDGA events
            I'm looking at implementing a bunc'r area on one of the holes at Pretzelbowl this year, but I'm wondering if it might be too confusing, on a temp course at least.
            'Weekend 4 Women':
            Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
            Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

I'm thinking about having a buncr or two at the Wild Wolf Fundraiser Tournament in March.
              Support Disc Golf Tournament Solutions on Facebook

DG Tournament Solutions Webpage

Comment

There might be one or two at sumner meadows this year.
                Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
                  I'm looking at implementing a bunc'r area on one of the holes at Pretzelbowl this year, but I'm wondering if it might be too confusing, on a temp course at least.
                  As long as its clearly stated on maps and clearly marked it shouldn't be a problem. String lines and ground paint go along way.
                  A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Ground paint is easier on Tournament Committee's since there is no "clean-up" needed.
                    What is the objective of the Buncr/bunker in Disc Golf? Relief from an area that has hard "throw from/stance" areas without major penalties but still tough enough for golfer to reach green? or?
                    I understand the rule and the definition, but what was the objective/goal behind the idea?

Example; Milo West hole 10 - the first tree area in the middle can be a bish, buncr it, increase speed of play, players get to really throw somehting else around the tree than try to toss weaklings through? Or is that a bad example?

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                      Ground paint is easier on Tournament Committee's since there is no "clean-up" needed.
                      What is the objective of the Buncr/bunker in Disc Golf?... I understand the rule and the definition, but what was the objective/goal behind the idea?
                      I have had the opportunity to play many buncr shots both from Chuck K and others. The only purpose I have only seen the buncr to be used is to make a hole more difficult without adding penalty strokes.

I believe this was the first year that they have used the buncr theory at USDGC #17 as before it was always rethrow and stroke if you missed the island green. Chuck used the buncr theory at Worlds in Wisconsin and the placement of buncrs were in front of baskets where if you landed in one of them you would have to move back to the point your disc crossed the line entering the buncr to throw. Making instead a putt of forty or fifty feet instead of the fifteen footer that you had from where your disc had landed.

Buncrs were also heavily featured at the Player's Cup in Florida on Hole One and Hole Sixteen to try and make fairways that were actually ball golf fairways into more technical distance shots. With these buncrs you would proceed to a drop zone and throw from there with no penalty stroke but it always cost you distance. These didn't work perfectly as it is difficult to know how far/accurate the top dogs can throw until they are actually there and doing it. At that point it was realized that the only people being hampered by some of the buncrs were the lower group of throwers and it just heightened the division between the power merchants and the less able.

Do I think these are good things? Yeah, I think they may just have a place for us in the sport. I think, however, that I might make one change on them. I would make sure they were fairway bunkers on par 4 or 5 holes where the second shot is still a shot that you would want to have a clean run-up for the power needed (like taking a 700 to 800 foot for example). Place a buncr midway down the fairway that takes up the left hand side of the fairway (safe landing area for RH hyzer off the tee) from about the 350 foot mark to the 400/425 foot mark. Then, if a player should land in it they would not go anywhere else to throw, but would have to make their next throw from their lie in a standing position with no run up. It would be more akin to placing huge amounts of loose sand around the course (which would be the coolest thing ever!) to make stance difficulties play into your game. Then the thrower on the drive is either forced to clear the hazard, land on the right side of the fairway which is either a more difficult shot or close to OB lets's say or land short and make the approach longer.

The best thing of ideas like this is that it makes courses that play long more interesting on every shot. When playing huge courses that are layed out so that you just throw as far as possible with wreckless abandon off the tee and then the second shot is all that matters it gets old after a while. They may as well have just moved the tee up 350 feet and made it a quality par 3 hole. The use of buncrs make it possible to make more shots critical shots in a round of golf.

That's what I think and I hope I get to see/design holes like this in the future as I know it would make the game more difiicult/exciting!

Later.
                      Scott Papa
                      Team Discraft
                      Instructional Editor DiscGolfer Magazine

Comment

The members of the Disc Golf Course Designers group (now 125) considered the "stand and deliver" buncrs as one option but felt uncomfortable with that approach as not being in the spirit of golf. While "stand and deliver" would be an interesting part of the game, the way that we would prefer it be achieved is by landing in areas or hazards where stand and deliver is the player's best choice for making an accurate throw but not a required stance, the common example being a throw from woodsy schule.

The buncrs at the Player's Cup were not done as the fairway buncr concept was originally designed. I haven't had the chance to do them as intended or seen it done yet. I would see fairway buncrs being used on Par 4s and 5s as Papa mentioned, especially on relatively open holes. The buncr would be in the 300-375 range of the fairway on the left or right. If the player lands in the buncr, they go to a drop zone (no penalty) that is maybe 20-30 feet behind a nearby tree. The idea is that the player would have a little longer next throw and have to bend it left or right which might not be required on several of the open holes on the course.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
                          Ball golf course operators just love paint on their grass, too!
                          Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                          Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                          Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                          Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                          Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I think the 'buncr' idea is asinine. I am not a proponent of contriving imaginary boundaries in order to add difficulty to a hole.
                            What ever happened to "Play it as it lies"?
                            "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

Comment

Play it as it lies is just too easy. The more challenging the better. The more variation you can have on a course the better. Throw accurately and the buncr isn't an issue.
                              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X