X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• My apologies . . .

My name is Derek A. Brown. Some of you may recognize my name for several different reasons, or just one. I am the Vice-President of Disc Golf Oregon (Discgolforegon.com), in charge of media and public relations. I was on site at the Beaver State Fling, Lava Launch, and Eugene Celebration this summer filming and interviewing, not playing. I have released dozens of edited and produced videos online besides these events on discgolforegon.com and discgolfersrus, as well. Unfortunately, some may know my name from an incident that occurred at the 2009 Great Northwest Open.

There were mistakes made on my scorecard in my favor while I was taking scores. I had no ill-intention in these mistakes; I was there just to have fun, getting in at the last minute even. I would never intentionally circumvent the rules. I love our sport very much, but I love what it can be even more.

The situation is completely my fault, and I'd like to apologize for the mistakes that I made that have caused the discussions, to begin with. I am apologizing to all who attended the GNO 09. I am apologizing to all Oregon and NW disc golfers for the embarrassment. I am apologizing to all my disc golf buddies for the embarrassment, as well (I know where you guys stand, thank you). And I am apologizing to the PDGA for my lack of expedience in addressing the situation.

Following is a copy of my final letter to the PDGA addressing this very issue. If you would like a copy of my original (much,much longer) letter, please PM or email me. Please accept my apologies and my concerns.

To whom it may concern,

It has been brought to my attention that my original letter outlining the events surrounding my disqualification at the 2009 GNO may have contained far too many details, preventing the intended message from being communicated. Please, consider this a more "to-the-point" addition to the aforementioned.

I must make it clear that this entire incident is my fault; no one else is to blame, period. I am the person whom recorded the scores wrong, no one else. Unfortunately, there is a difference in some recollections of events that happened at Tournament Central that day; however, these differences aside, it is I and only I that made the mistakes leading to my disqualification.

Then again, it was I who originally asked to have my card reviewed, as well.

The main point here is that I made a mistake, a very regretful mistake. I did not make this mistake on purpose or with ill-intention. At the time, I was not familiar with PDGA tournament protocol, at all. It shows. It's amazing how stupid an intelligent person can be at times; it truly is. I do not regret asking to review my card at Whistlers Bend, that day, eventually bringing my mistakes to light. I do regret trying to reinvent the wheel with my original letter, taking the entire summer to do so. I had assumed that much more information was needed than actually was. My biggest fault in the time delay was simply not taking the situation seriously, feeling that I had made an innocent mistake due to my lack of attention to my surroundings.

Nonetheless, I am ready to accept the punishment deemed appropriate for my actions. I would request that any intended form of punishment be enacted immediately upon final decision of such, if possible. My intention within this request is due to my desire to continue playing the game I love, but specifically playing PDGA sanctioned events. Beyond my desire to play and my well-known desire to film large events, I have a different love and respect for the game, and the the game's growth. As I have been, I intend and have intended on being involved at a level beyond showing up and playing, up to and including course design and video production. This mistake of mine has put a definite hindrance on these desires.

In closing, please understand that I blame no one but myself. I would like to make it perfectly clear that the mistakes in question were an accident, and nothing but. Please accept my apologies for my complete lack of respect shown by my sluggish attention to the subject at hand. It was VERY unprofessional of me to not take the accusations seriously. Most of all, please accept my apologies for the mistakes that were made on my behalf at the 2009 Great Northwest Open. I look forward to having an opportunity to prove myself in the coming years with my words and most importantly my actions in play and in promoting the sport we love.

Derek A. Brown
    PDGA # 42048
    discgolforegon3@gmail.com
    (541) 643-0774
    Thank you, for taking the time to ponder this discussion. And a special thank you to all my friends who have been so encouraging, the people who know me best. Please, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thanks again.

-Derek
    Last edited by DiscGolfOregon3; December 28th, 2009, 05:00 AM.

It's nice to know that there is still honest people around. Mistakes happen and no one is perfect. Even tho I don't know you, I respect the fact that you are blaming only yourself and taking any or all punishment that comes out of this situation. Good luck with your quest and thanks for Man n Up to your mistake.
    Louie

Comment

Derek, I know what happened both between being there and talking to other people. I felt horrible for you when things when down. Though I am glad to see one bad experience hasn't turned you passion from this sport, and you are taking the right direction to resolve things. Keep up the good work man!

Comment

Thank you

Thank you for the support, guys. I just want to be past the entire event, although, I know it will always linger in some minds. The first step to being past it is accepting responsibility.

-Derek

Comment

Not knowing what happened and taking time to read the thread, I'm now curious as what exactly happened & what mistakes were made-- it doesn't sound like you should have to apologize considering it was a mistake and you caught it yourself-- perhaps you are owed an apology by those that questioned your integrity.
          Why were you dq'ed and not stroked? It sounds like you've had to explain yourself much more than necessary already-- sorry that you had to go through that.
          Toby
          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

The Mistakes . . .

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
            Not knowing what happened and taking time to read the thread, I'm now curious as what exactly happened & what mistakes were made-- it doesn't sound like you should have to apologize considering it was a mistake and you caught it yourself-- perhaps you are owed an apology by those that questioned your integrity.
            Why were you dq'ed and not stroked? It sounds like you've had to explain yourself much more than necessary already-- sorry that you had to go through that.
            Toby
            Toby, I appreciate the concern, but I did not catch the mistake myself; I simply and innocently provided the means necessary to bring my mistakes to light.

I just happened to ask that my card be inspected because my fellow group members had changed my card's stroke total after the round without me present (before turning in the cards, costing me a 2-stroke penalty for mis-addition). They believed that they had found a miscalculation within my arithmetic, saving a penalty for a mis-added card on my behalf. They were wrong; my math was correct, just not my recorded strokes. This brings up one of many concerns: Why would I have asked to have my card inspected by my fellow group members and the TD (Tom Embrey), if I had any ill-intended wrong doing to hide??

It is hard to present the situation in a "short" format. I am feeling more like I should just post my original letter, as well (if it will fit within a single post).

Toby, email me at discgolforegon3 @ gmail.com, and I will reply with the original letter. The same offer is available to any and all. Just email and I will reply . . . curiosity solved.

Thanks again for your concern and reply,

-Derek
            Last edited by DiscGolfOregon3; December 28th, 2009, 05:17 AM. Reason: to clarify point

Comment

Originally posted by DiscGolfOregon3 View Post
              Toby, email me at discgolforegon3 @ gmail.com, and I will reply with the original letter. The same offer is available to any and all. Just email and I will reply . . . curiosity solved.
              Why don't you just post it on the forum? You obviously want to, or you wouldn't have started this useless thread in the first place.
              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                Why don't you just post it on the forum? You obviously want to, or you wouldn't have started this useless thread in the first place.
                Definitely swerving into "non-apology apology" territory.

Comment

Apologies, apologies

Chuck, my original letter is not "forum material". It is over five pages, printed. And, it certainly is not an apology letter. The purpose of this forum thread is to apologize for my mistakes, being that it was my mistakes that led to the entire mishap. I am also sorry that you feel that this thread is useless. I found it very important to man up and apologize for the accidents that occurred on my behalf.

Matt B. said,

Not precisely sure what is meant here . . . but I apologize for the misunderstanding.

-Derek

P.S. Once again, feel free to email me for the original letter

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                    but I apologize for the misunderstanding.
                    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I'm just wondering if you (Derek) realize that plenty of people who were at the tourney and know what really happened, also read and have accounts on this website?
                      My drunken words are my sober thoughts!

Comment

I would like to use this space to apologize, as well.

That is all.
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

All Good in God's Hood!!!!

My name is Derek A. Brown. Some of you may recognize my name for several different reasons, or just one. I am the Vice-President of Disc Golf Oregon (Discgolforegon.com), in charge of media and public relations. I was on site at the Beaver State Fling, Lava Launch, and Eugene Celebration this summer filming and interviewing, not playing. I have released dozens of edited and produced videos online besides these events on discgolforegon.com and discgolfersrus, as well. Unfortunately, some may know my name from an incident that occurred at the 2009 Great Northwest Open.

There were mistakes made on my scorecard in my favor while I was taking scores. I had no ill-intention in these mistakes; I was there just to have fun, getting in at the last minute even. I would never intentionally circumvent the rules. I love our sport very much, but I love what it can be even more.

The situation is completely my fault, and I'd like to apologize for the mistakes that I made that have caused the discussions, to begin with. I am apologizing to all who attended the GNO 09. I am apologizing to all Oregon and NW disc golfers for the embarrassment. I am apologizing to all my disc golf buddies for the embarrassment, as well (I know where you guys stand, thank you). And I am apologizing to the PDGA for my lack of expedience in addressing the situation.

Following is a copy of my final letter to the PDGA addressing this very issue. If you would like a copy of my original (much,much longer) letter, please PM or email me. Please accept my apologies and my concerns.

Thank you, for taking the time to ponder this discussion. And a special thank you to all my friends who have been so encouraging, the people who know me best. Please, please feel free to contact me with any questions or concerns. Thanks again.

-Derek
                          Derek, I too have had my mistakes in Disc Golf and love your letter to the disc golfers. Humility is more than recognizing your mistake but also the apology is truly genuine. You can loop it with 3D anytime. In the wind for now. Dale Dunavin: slapface:

Comment

For what it's worth, I was co-TD of the event and while I wasn't there when this all went down (I was on the course) I fully stand by Tom Embree's decision. I'm sorry that I never got to directly hear your side of the story but from everything I've heard from several other first hand reports things were handled appropriately. Having said that, I don't think we really want to dig this issue up a whole bunch more because it only gets ugly. I appreciate you trying to make amends within the disc golf community.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X