Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Golf has always been set up to govern yourself and the ones you are playing with. It's supposed to be a honest game. Obviuosly it's not going like that. All violations should be called at all times on all players regardless of skill level. Especially am's. They need to know what the rules are. This is the Professional D.G.A. not the Ameteur D.G.A.. When you sign up for a tourney you should know all the rules and follow them. Everybody should be required to carry a rulebook or there should be an official on every card in these big events. It's not just for fun at the top anymore. It's a bussiness and a livelyhood for some. The Professional D.G.A. is just trying to be more focused on that everybody is playing by the same rules. Every point and cash paying event big or small should be Professional. I know the few times I've played ameteur lately that some of the people have no clue of the rules. Or they just don't want to follow them. I'm all for this kind of thing. Everybody should be aware of what the rules are. If everybody carried a rule book and was familier with it we wouldn't have as many problems. As for the 2 meter rule. I've never thought it was correct anyway. If you are supposed to play it where it comes to rest. Anything above ground should be a penalty not just two meters. So I'm glad it's gone. Three meters would be hard to judge, Two meters was easy because that is about 6 feet. About ten feet would be hard to judge. Need more oncourse officials and evryone should have a rulebook.

Comment

I plan on playing 2 or 3 NT's this year so I have already taken the test. I have to admit it was harder than I thought it would be. This isnt because the questions are that hard, they have good points in them but the wording in a lot of the questions was bad to terrible. Confusing and in some cases unrealistic. At least with the 15 questions I had. Just log onto the PDGA website, create an account if you dont have one and take the test to see. It takes about 10 minutes if you really think about the questions and you must get 12/15 right to pass. That is what I got correct.

Scott Withers
      Pdga 38464

Comment

In Harvey Pennick's "Little Red Book" or perhaps it's "And if You Play Golf You're my Friend" he writes something like, "I always remind my pupils that the rules of golf do not exist to help you, but to protect you" and I think that this applies to disc golf also.

I find it unfortunate that there are people who do not care about the rules and do not care to learn them, especially folks at the Pro level. Rules exist to keep it fair for everyone... if we are competing with each other then we darn well better be playing the exact same game... with the exception of our own personal skills and abilities.

And to address folks who don't want to speak up to the more "casual" intermediate or amateur players... hey, don't assume we want to be ams forever... some of us have grandiose ideas of going pro sometime, too, and we would greatly benefit and appreciate any and all help we could get. Why not use your teachable moments? There is always a way to say things in a polite and respectful manner so as to avoid making someone feel stupid... but won't they feel even stupider if they find out after the fact they've been playing less than kosher golf? If you don't speak up you are doing yourself, the other golfer, and the sport a disservice, I really do believe.

Me personally... I'm going to start studying the rule book... and look forward to expanding my knowledge of the sport I love... All around this seems like a fantastic idea... and relatively painless if it's only a 15 question test.
        "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
        Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

Originally posted by scottycb1 View Post
          I plan on playing 2 or 3 NT's this year so I have already taken the test. I have to admit it was harder than I thought it would be. This isnt because the questions are that hard, they have good points in them but the wording in a lot of the questions was bad to terrible. Confusing and in some cases unrealistic. At least with the 15 questions I had. Just log onto the PDGA website, create an account if you dont have one and take the test to see. It takes about 10 minutes if you really think about the questions and you must get 12/15 right to pass. That is what I got correct.

Scott Withers
          Pdga 38464
          ... or maybe it's not so painless...

Comment

Prolly a nOOB question but....
            How does it work if there is no 2 meter rule?
            Does that mean the sky is the limit and you just play from below it w/ no penalty no matter how high it is? If so does it matter whether or not the disc is actually retrieved?
            Or does it mean the opposite: if it's off the ground it's a penalty? What about logs or sticks, ferns or even leaves and grass? Where do you draw the line?

Comment

Originally posted by T-Bird View Post
              Prolly a nOOB question but....
              How does it work if there is no 2 meter rule?
              Does that mean the sky is the limit and you just play from below it w/ no penalty no matter how high it is? If so does it matter whether or not the disc is actually retrieved?
              Or does it mean the opposite: if it's off the ground it's a penalty? What about logs or sticks, ferns and even grass? Where do you draw the line?
              Play directly beneath your disc, no penalty.

But did I miss something? The two meter rule didn't acutally go away, did it?

Comment

Optional choice for the TD to specify a single tree, all trees on specific holes or all trees on a course as having the 2m penalty. The default now is no 2m penalty without TD or course pro indicating it. Just like water is not automatically OB unless TD or course pro specifies.

Comment

If I'am an am can I still take the test and get certified?
                  PDGA#42080

Comment

Originally posted by HoopSauce View Post
                    If I'am an am can I still take the test and get certified?
                    I shouldn't be answering this question 'cause I no pretty much nothing, but I'm pretty sure AMs need to take the test if they plan on playing certain events, for example, The Beaver State Fling... don't know what you mean about being certified, tho...

peace threw disc golf,
                    emmarose

Comment

While I agree about the neccessity of rules, I do prefer a more casual approach - it's why I enjoy playing disc golf. For instance, I subscribe to the "play it where it lie" concept - I don't care where it lie, you find it, play it, all good.

In my myopic disc golf minds eye, one of the beauties of disc golf is that we don't have to subscribe to a governing body, we play in the woods, we should be able to drink, have fun, and not stress if your foot landed 6" from your marker on a 200' fairway drive. That's disc golf to me, course I used to use tombstones as hole markers so I'm not tied to these basket things either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-PDGA, exactly the opposite, it's more a personal belief and style of play. You Be the Judge! Now go throw!

Comment

Originally posted by frizbeerose View Post
                        I shouldn't be answering this question 'cause I no pretty much nothing, but I'm pretty sure AMs need to take the test if they plan on playing certain events, for example, The Beaver State Fling... don't know what you mean about being certified, tho...

peace threw disc golf,
                        emmarose

Almost correct, but not quite.

You only need to take the test if you plan to play in a National Tour (NT) event. The Beaver State Fling is actually two events: An NT for Pros and an A-Tier for Ams. So unless an AM plans to move up and play Pro for the fling they do not need to take the exam.

However - There is no reason that everybody shouldn't take the exam. Rules proficiency in all divisions would not be a bad thing.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                          Almost correct, but not quite.

You only need to take the test if you plan to play in a National Tour (NT) event. The Beaver State Fling is actually two events: An NT for Pros and an A-Tier for Ams. So unless an AM plans to move up and play Pro for the fling they do not need to take the exam.

However - There is no reason that everybody shouldn't take the exam. Rules proficiency in all divisions would not be a bad thing.
                          Amen, brotha!

Comment

Originally posted by DanD View Post
                            While I agree about the neccessity of rules, I do prefer a more casual approach - it's why I enjoy playing disc golf. For instance, I subscribe to the "play it where it lie" concept - I don't care where it lie, you find it, play it, all good.

In my myopic disc golf minds eye, one of the beauties of disc golf is that we don't have to subscribe to a governing body, we play in the woods, we should be able to drink, have fun, and not stress if your foot landed 6" from your marker on a 200' fairway drive. That's disc golf to me, course I used to use tombstones as hole markers so I'm not tied to these basket things either.

Don't get me wrong, I'm not anti-PDGA, exactly the opposite, it's more a personal belief and style of play. You Be the Judge! Now go throw!
                            I entirely agree with this sentiment Dan (I mean, who's daddy came up with You Bee The Judge, anyway, right?), BUT, and yes it is a big but, when it comes to competing it also has to be fair... when I'm just playing a cas round with my homey's I choose to be my own judge and keep it fun... like, not playing from the middle of a crazy gnarly blackberry bunker since it's bad enough that I'm going to have to go in there and get my damn disc anyway, and no, I'm not taking a stroke... the prickles are punishment enough, I'll just take my asterisk* thank you very much... but as soon as it becomes a competition... even a non sanctioned event (Dan, you know what I'm talking about ) then it becomes a whole different story. Don't you dare try to post a score that says you're a better or more skilled golfer than me if you are not following the same rules as me... that's an insult to everyone involved and terribly disrespectful... (in case you can't tell, I've had to deal with cheaters and folks playing a much different kind of golf than me in my day... so, yeah, I'm a little bit sensitive... )

peace threw disc golf,
                            emmarose

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X