Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

It wouldn't be worth it for Ams, as DMajor is correct.

Not to mention that the level of play is less serious for Ams. Almost every Am group that I play with in tournaments cares more about having fun than nitpicking details. There is usually at least one person in the group that knows the rules, and so the common things like foot faults and
    O.B. get handled without the need for a rules test.

On occasion a rule is questioned and the book comes out, and that solves the problem.

Worst case scenario is that an entire Am group doesn't know the rules, and someone gains or loses a piece of plastic. With hundreds or thousands of dollars on the line it becomes necessary to absolutely know the rules well.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

im curious if they will ever truly define a falling putt outside the circle... Im thinking we will have to wait until we can get slow-mo replay for verification

Comment

Originally posted by DoubleDees View Post
        im curious if they will ever truly define a falling putt outside the circle... Im thinking we will have to wait until we can get slow-mo replay for verification
        The problem isn't the definition. The problem is not having the instant replay with slow-mo (like you said). It's so hard to tell when people jump putt so the uncertainty goes to the player. That's a tough one.

Comment

I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that there's no such thing as an Am NT.
          Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            which brings me to my point is why only pros at NT take the test, why not just all because right now there is no test for the AM side...
            There is no AM side to the Memorial NT. The Amateur event is a separate Supertour "A-Tier" event. All NT events are PRO only. If an am signs up for the Memorial NT, they will have to be certified.

Also, I agree with Cabal, the PRO division competitors DO have a serious lack of understanding of the rules.

I was at an event this year hanging out with a card and there was a rules issue that came up, a veteran player told the rest of the group something that was definitely incorrect. Meanwhile, two of the other players on the card, both very highly rated pros, admitted that they'd never actually read the rulebook.

It's pretty common, and I completely support what the PDGA is implementing this year. It won't magically make everyone playing NTs know the rules, but it's a start, and it will hopefully help people take pride in knowing the rules of our sport.

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
              I'm surprised nobody has pointed out that there's no such thing as an Am NT.
              Haha, I was typing my reply while you posted this!

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                Also, I agree with Cabal, the PRO division competitors DO have a serious lack of understanding of the rules.

I was at an event this year hanging out with a card and there was a rules issue that came up, a veteran player told the rest of the group something that was definitely incorrect. Meanwhile, two of the other players on the card, both very highly rated pros, admitted that they'd never actually read the rulebook.

It's pretty common, and I completely support what the PDGA is implementing this year. It won't magically make everyone playing NTs know the rules, but it's a start, and it will hopefully help people take pride in knowing the rules of our sport.
                Sad, But true........

I have been asking for some sort of "Test" to be a registered Pro for years.
                This is a step in the right direction.

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                  There is no AM side to the Memorial NT. The Amateur event is a separate Supertour "A-Tier" event. All NT events are PRO only. If an am signs up for the Memorial NT, they will have to be certified.

DUHHH, I know that, but without wasting my time typing out "the supertour A-tier Am event that is run at the same time as the Pro NT event with the exact same name" yada yada, yall smart, didnt realize i had to dumb-down my post to below High School graduate level for everyone to understand what I meant. We know all Am sides of NT Events are seperate "A-tier events", what am I supposed to call it, "hey everyone, I'm signed up for the Supertour A-Tier Amatuer Memorial"? That is just stupid, "I'm signed up for the memorial" sounds simple and common sense. So you telling me I didn't go to the memorial in 2009? They have the same name, no point in dragging it out into stupid seperation names and event titles... and no one said anything about "Amatuer NT", Tim and Gwilim

Comment

The test is up on the PDGA site, and I passed, wahoo!

Comment

Everyone should take the test. So far I don't see many perfect scores.

I took the test twice (I'm crazy, and yes the test is different the second time). I got 14 out of 15 both times. The first time I messed up and somehow clicked through a question without answering it. The second time I learned something new.

Comment

I can't help but laugh; that the rules have become so convoluted as to require the pros to test, how soon before video reviews inside the circle, or Doss and the like showing up at NTs with their lawyers? And funny that in 1976 many of us saw the pdga steering the game this way. Now I'm not saying this is a good or bad thing, just another layer of bureaucracy to the competitive side of the game, for what's that's worth. And based on history I figure the pdga will allow a monetary indulgence; that way they'll have a few more bucks to turn out a great DG magazine.
                        educate your thinking

Comment

Nah, I think the PDGA is pushing for empowerment and confidence in the rules. Players are either unknowingly or knowingly breaking obvious rules and other players are wussing out on calling them on the rule violations, but when the round is over, the bishing breaks out like wild-fire. Too many wussies not calling violations is probably what created this "FREE-UNLIMITED" Rules test to push the Pros to call their own violations etc. Video replays will never happen because there are 3 other guys in the group that are supposed to be watching and making the calls.
                          Now for the Magazine - if the PDGA continues to push out an improving magazine with member contributions to article ideas and photos, I don't mind paying an extra $5-$10 to decrease ad space and increase content yearly. If it were $5, that's a $1 a mag concept, 10k members, that's $10k per issue for added content space and decrease AD space....

Comment

Oh I agree the group should make the call during the round, but the bitching you mention after the round would ensue during the round, say on time violations, foot faults etc. And I'm still not sold on more rules and tests being the cure.
                            educate your thinking

Comment

Yeah, so having only played Amateur, I am reluctant to call a rule violation on somebody who is playing intermediate unless the violation is so severe (like throwing your putt from in front of your marker) that not calling it would be a disservice to those playing in your group.

As for people playing pro and admitting they have never read or cared about the rule book, I've got somethings to say about it.

1.) Your a pro. If you admit to never knowing the rules you should immediately have to step down from your pro status till you can show you know the rules.
                              2.) The sport of disc golf will never get anywhere if we have people like that claiming to be professional and yet don't care enough about the sport to learn how to 'officially play'. (Never will I play a casual round and say things like you exceeded your shot time or you past the front lie of your marker, etc...)
                              3.) Stop bitching if you do get caught bending the rules. It's your fault, and no reason to ruin everyone else's round because you feel cheated.
                              4.) Call violations but be polite about. Great example, Chump Challenge this year @ Highbridge. There was a falling putt debate about a brilliant birdie from just barely outside the circle. All the players were courteous and the violation was actually not issued, just a warning. On the opposite, I pretty much saw two friends destroy a friendship because neither one would be polite about it.
                              5.) Last but not least, you dont have to be a rule nazi either. There is nothing more annoying then playing a round and having somebody carrying the PDGA rule book around looking for any single violation so you get docked a stroke. These are usually the people that throw their bags when they miss a putt, etc. This game started as fun with rules to keep the parameters fair for everyone. Don't bust out the tape measure to find out if my disc is just barely over two meters (it wasn't).

With that mouthful, I compliment the PDGA in taking steps to eliminate silly arguments which hold up a round, make people bitter against their group and pretty much eliminate any fun that one could be having.

Also, eliminate the two meter rule from the book and please, please, PLEASE come up with a better definition for a falling putt. It's goddamn annoying.
                              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                              Cleveland Brown

Comment

I say keep the 2 meter rule.

Well, kind of, change it to the 3 meter rule.

Plain and simple. If the disc is out of reach, then it is an unplayable lie.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X