X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• ratings cheat

So I have been given some crap for my rating. I haven't been able to play many tourneys so I don't have many rated rounds. I lost 7 rounds this update and added only 3 for a total of 10 rounds. My rating is 1003 which I think is about right, anything from 995 to 1000 plus or minus. I am curious what others think is a base number of rounds to consider a rating legit, or does it matter?
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

With 40 views and no comments I will assume it doesn't matter or nobody really cares. Either way.
    Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
      So I have been given some crap for my rating. I haven't been able to play many tourneys so I don't have many rated rounds. I lost 7 rounds this update and added only 3 for a total of 10 rounds. My rating is 1003 which I think is about right, anything from 995 to 1000 plus or minus. I am curious what others think is a base number of rounds to consider a rating legit, or does it matter?
      I'm of the opinion that a rating isn't entirely accurate until a player has at least 10-15 rounds in the bank. This will weed out the folks who ripped it up in their first tourney, but might not be able to maintain that level of performance.

You're a slightly different case though. Much like Brody Miller & Tim Skellenger, you're obviously a good player who just doesn't play too many sanctioned tourneys. Your rating is probably pretty accurate (+5/-5 points either way) .

You could solve this problem fairly easily. Play more sanctioned events and take your place among Washington's best.
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Overrated.... overrated.... overrated!!
        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

While I usually pass over the PDGA threads completely, your title made me take a peek. Not a huge scandal for someone not rated. Made me look, anyway.
          The Corporate Empire is NOT a Constitutional Republic...
          ...but it plays one on TV.

Comment

The number of rated rounds needed to get an accurate rating is directly affected by the consistency of the golfer. If there's a huge gap between your low rounds and your high rounds, then 10-15 rounds (4-5 tourneys worth) is probably enough.

I was just reading an old article (1990) by Chuck Kennedy, he stated 3 rounds are sufficient to determin handicap for new players who are improving quickly. I think that it would hold true of rating as well.
            A bad day on the golf course is better than a good day at work!

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
              Overrated.... overrated.... overrated!!
              $20 a stroke?
              Click here

Challenge disc golf

Comment

Originally posted by olydiscgolf View Post
                The number of rated rounds needed to get an accurate rating is directly affected by the consistency of the golfer. If there's a huge gap between your low rounds and your high rounds, then 10-15 rounds (4-5 tourneys worth) is probably enough.

I was just reading an old article (1990) by Chuck Kennedy, he stated 3 rounds are sufficient to determin handicap for new players who are improving quickly. I think that it would hold true of rating as well.
                I disagree (on the ratings part anyway) based on what I have actually seen over the years. What I have seen is many people joining the PDGA to play at their "home course" tourney and as a general rule they tend to play well at their home course. This gives them well rated rounds which get double weighted by the PDGA, but as time progresses their rating naturally drops down to the level of their consistent play.
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

FYI - recent rounds do not get double weighted until the player has at least 8. If a player only plays their home course, which many do, and they shoot better on their home course as expected, their rating is still valid since it reflects how well they do on the only course(s) they play in competition each year. They are only potentially over-rated when they travel. Of course this helps everyone else in the tournament since that player indirectly provides rating points to the field if they shoot worse than their "homey" rating.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                    FYI - recent rounds do not get double weighted until the player has at least 8. If a player only plays their home course, which many do, and they shoot better on their home course as expected, their rating is still valid since it reflects how well they do on the only course(s) they play in competition each year. They are only potentially over-rated when they travel. Of course this helps everyone else in the tournament since that player indirectly provides rating points to the field if they shoot worse than their "homey" rating.
                    It is nice to know early rounds are not double-weighted.

Comment

Originally posted by REDFIVE View Post
                      $20 a stroke?
                      Don't do it Toby, the only I can pay him back is if I win the world series of poker, lol.
                      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post

Heh hehe...Homey Rating...hehe.

I just found out a new way to make fun of ppl

Comment

2007?

Looks like REDFIVE didn't have any PDGA tournaments in 2007 on record. Was that about the time you moved from Advanced to Open? What was your rating in 2004 vs. today, i.e. how much did it go up?

Comment

Only true ratings cheat is when someone DNF's a round that they are doing bad in. I think the PDGA needs a new rule... If you're injured the TD can DNF you... If you just quit you get par plus four on the rest of the holes and a rating for your round... Sure it will probably get dropped, but if you have enough it won't and it will show up on your record.

Just an idea... Someo e tell me why I'm wrong

Comment

Originally posted by DexterHawk View Post
                              Only true ratings cheat is when someone DNF's a round that they are doing bad in. I think the PDGA needs a new rule... If you're injured the TD can DNF you... If you just quit you get par plus four on the rest of the holes and a rating for your round... Sure it will probably get dropped, but if you have enough it won't and it will show up on your record.

Just an idea... Someo e tell me why I'm wrong
                              I don't think we should put TDs in the position of having to determine whether or not an injury is legit.

IMO it is a victim-less crime. The only people these baggers are screwing over are themselves.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X