X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• PRO's playing AM?

So according to this grid: http://www.pdga.com/files/documents/...ionsGrid_0.pdf
    Would you conclude that ALL PRO's rated below 970 are aloud to compete in AM?
    I know you're never forced to move up to PRO but how does stepping down work? That kind of confuses me and I figured someone knows the details.
    thanks in advance.
    Proud member #20 of STUMPTOWN Disc Golf and the PDGA #30488
    Damn The Weak Side!!!!!!

Yeah, that makes sense, let's say a region somewhere in the united states, there is only 1 or 2 good disc golfers with a rating in the 960's and they play Pro and cash because the ADV ams field is too weak, but when they go to a larger tournament with tougher competition, they will want to play adv ams and try to win an adv championship to get that milestone...

Comment

I know you're never forced to move up to PRO but how does stepping down work?
      It's really moving sidewise. No difference between a 960 "pro" and a 960 "am" other than what prizes they've been playing for.

Comment

Patrick,

The answer is "yes", 969 and lower rated men can play MA1 or MPO (or any other division that they qualify for via rating), even if they are registered as "Pro" through the PDGA. The one notable exception is that they are not allowed to play AM in Majors (ie Worlds, USADGC, etc).

This also applies to female "pros" rated less than 850.

It is detailed in the competition manual under "2.4 - Pros Playing Am".

Comment

Originally posted by gwillim View Post
          Patrick,

The answer is "yes", 969 and lower rated men can play MA1 or MPO (or any other division that they qualify for via rating), even if they are registered as "Pro" through the PDGA. The one notable exception is that they are not allowed to play AM in Majors (ie Worlds, USADGC, etc).

This also applies to female "pros" rated less than 850.

It is detailed in the competition manual under "2.4 - Pros Playing Am".
          To add to this answer...

Pros playing Am DO NOT receive pts when they play "sideways".........

Comment

Actually they do earn points but they are tracked separately as Am points and Pro points
            http://www.pdga.com/player-stats?PDGANum=4949&year=2009
            My Am points don't add to Pro points for Worlds invites for example and I wouldn't be on any list ranking amateur points rankings in the state or nationally.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
            Collapse
            No announcement yet.
            Working...
            X