X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2009 Disc Golf World Championships

I am going to Worlds for the first time in my career of playing disc golf. I have heard about the worlds event since the first year I started playing but could never seem to make it happen. There was always work, school or family that prevented me from going. I almost did not make it this year either but with constant reminders from Mr. Hagerty and the graces of my boss at work I was able to get the mandatory week of vacation switched from the week after the fourth to the last week in July for Worlds.

This year the worlds is in Kansas City and people that attended the 2003 Amateur World Championships still comment about worlds in Kansas City. I knew that if I was going to make it to a worlds event this is the one to make. The courses are what people are excited about and from the preview of the courses that I have seen I can see why, compared to the worlds courses used in the past few years, especially for the Amateurs, theses course will test not only accuracy but distance and course management.

The reason why I am writing is to know why more people are not going from Oregon. I would have expected more Pro players to make the journey given the location and courses being used for the competition.

I see that we have Six Pros from Oregon going: Dave Feldberg, Avery Jenkins, Ben Van Dusen, Kirk McAllister, Melody King and Jeff Hagerty.

On the Am side we have 5 going: Peter Belizi, Jason McGrew, Kevin Watson, Terry Schuler, and myself.

See you guys in KC!!!!
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Originally posted by Flash View Post
    I am going to Worlds for the first time in my career of playing disc golf. I have heard about the worlds event since the first year I started playing but could never seem to make it happen. There was always work, school or family that prevented me from going. I almost did not make it this year either but with constant reminders from Mr. Hagerty and the graces of my boss at work I was able to get the mandatory week of vacation switched from the week after the fourth to the last week in July for Worlds.

This year the worlds is in Kansas City and people that attended the 2003 Amateur World Championships still comment about worlds in Kansas City. I knew that if I was going to make it to a worlds event this is the one to make. The courses are what people are excited about and from the preview of the courses that I have seen I can see why, compared to the worlds courses used in the past few years, especially for the Amateurs, theses course will test not only accuracy but distance and course management.

The reason why I am writing is to know why more people are not going from Oregon. I would have expected more Pro players to make the journey given the location and courses being used for the competition.

I see that we have Six Pros from Oregon going: Dave Feldberg, Avery Jenkins, Ben Van Dusen, Kirk McAllister, Melody King and Jeff Hagerty.

On the Am side we have 5 going: Peter Belizi, Jason McGrew, Kevin Watson, Terry Schuler, and myself.

See you guys in KC!!!!
    Its gonna be awesome!!!
    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

I was planning on going via a sponsorship which fell through so I'll have to wait for next year...Darn! This was my first Worlds invite too!
      Victorious warriors win first then go to war, while defeated warriors go to war first and then seek to win

Comment

I just signed up today... I'll see you guys there

Comment

still not believing that i'm going, so maybe the last two weeks won't be such a wait, wish i could take more time off work so i could drive, planes make me very sick, just driving in the car can make me sick, so hopefully i wont need to recoupe time before golfing, the last time i flew to vegas i spent the first three days in my room because i had no equilibrium, great to see another person representing the northwest

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post

See you guys in KC!!!!
            Time & Money! The two just don't always allign. I'd love to attend Worlds but probably not as a player. I'd love to represent the NW Disc Golfers as an Ambassadour maybe. Shake hands, kiss babies, hand out stickers, sign autographs, AND see some amazing golf.

Bob

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
              still not believing that i'm going, so maybe the last two weeks won't be such a wait, wish i could take more time off work so i could drive, planes make me very sick, just driving in the car can make me sick, so hopefully i wont need to recoupe time before golfing, the last time i flew to vegas i spent the first three days in my room because i had no equilibrium, great to see another person representing the northwest
              Is it due to your vestibular system in your ear?

Comment

It's going to be super sweet. We might not be many but we'll be manly and womanly (in Melody's case).

Comment

Originally posted by bvdisc View Post
                  It's going to be super sweet. We might not be many but we'll be manly and womanly (in Melody's case).
                  It might take both to tame the 11,000 foot monster called Blue Valley!
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

Here are some seriously cool and decent maps of the courses used at worlds this year.

http://kcfdc.org/forum/index.php?top...;boardseen#new

Second post from the top, just click the links for the courses you are playing. These are the same one up on the PDGA now but these are a little easier to get to and move around in.

Mike
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

da worlds

well I am driving after all, yeah, hope to get there in time for the field events on sunday, worked a couple days off work with pay, yeah, as it stands it looks like I'm the only one from Oregon in my division, hope to represent you guys well, getting ready to go exept the dentist that is taking all my money, does anybody know where to see or have heard what there might be as swag we might recieve or have recieved in past years, hopefully I'll be watching someone from Oregon playing in the finals, just to place would be very rewarding to me, hope to see some of you there

Comment

Holy cow! Blue Valley looks insane! My arm got tired just looking at the map.

Comment

I've already checked out Swope (in person!) -- it's a wowwie.. Almost as if you're riding a swing back and forth between the tee and basket.. Whoo!
                          Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
                          DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

by this time next week I will be making a game plan of a course that I have played while holding my mini challenge trophy( somebody has to win) with the proper refreshments included, are we there yet

Comment

How did you forget about Nate playing in worlds?
                              www.soulpancake.com
                              www.bahai.org
                              http://s979.photobucket.com/albums/ae274/aarikc17/

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X