X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
    I can see why you guys want to put this topic to rest. The more we talk about it, the more guys chime in, the more gaps in rules knowledge are uncovered. That must be embarrassing for all the 'professional' disc golfers out there who still don't know the rulebook. I'm not trying to pick on you specifically, Flash, you just buzzed in at the wrong time.

I asked a few pros the other day if they ever actually have cracked a rulebook and read it. Not a single affirmative response. They called me a "Rules Nazi". I called them "Apathetic Illiterates". We were both wrong, of course.
    Obviously you are confused of the rules for a proposed rules Nazi, if it is a called foot fault he putts again without a stroke, if it had been his second infraction he putts again with a stroke penalty but can retrieve his putter in either case. I would be happy to go heads up with you any day on PDGA Rule Nazi Jeopardy!!!

Perhaps I should have finished my thought but I figured that most of the veteran posters on this forum seem to do it all the time. In either case the player will always re putt the throw on a called foot fault it is just a matter of first infraction or follow on infraction. But nice try any ways ChUcK
    PDGA #25296
    Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
      either replay your shot or take the stroke.
      Scoreboard:

ChUcK: 1

Tournament Director of the Beaver State Fling: 0

I'll take The Penis Mightier for $400, Alex.
      The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I'm having poster's remorse --what a freaggin' waste of time-- gonna go work on my falling putts now... no ten meter line for my basket at work, so it's not 'really' a falling putt right--

PUTTS

I think that there will never be,
        a falling putt I'd like to see.

A leaning putter's hand that's pressed,
        against the sweet earth where mini rests.

A disc that finds the chains all day,
        should makes it's course by the rules of play.

A disc that may in summer wear,
        a metal nest or chains like hair.

Upon a course with snow and rain,
        we seek the sound of disc in chain.

Putts are made by fools like me,
        but only God knows if it's a three.

AUTHOR: Louis Untermeyer, ed., 1885–1977.
        TITLE: Modern American poetry: an introduction, edited by Louis Untermeyer.
        PUBLISHED: New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1919.
        PHYSICAL DETAILS: xviii, 170 p.; 20 cm.
        ISBN: 1-58734-062-3.
        CITATION: Untermeyer, Louis. Modern American Poetry. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1919; Bartleby.com, 1999. www.bartleby.com/104/. [Date of Printout].
        ON-LINE ED.: Published January 1999 by Bartleby.com; © Copyright Bartleby.com, Inc. (Terms of Use).
        Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; June 30th, 2009, 12:23 AM. Reason: omitted paragraphs not worth reading
        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Scoreboard:

ChUcK: 1

Tournament Director of the Beaver State Fling: 0

I'll take The Penis Mightier for $400, Alex.
          Its not Alex its Chuck Kennedy! Haven't you played this before, geez get with the program!

Let me explain it one more time, I am sorry my post mislead you surely someone of you brain power and infinite wisdom can fill in the blanks you seem to have no problem with it most other times. The infraction is re-throw or re-throw with strokes, usually the major hurdle in the calling is the first step, in this case it would either be replay or accept the stroke penalty, that is after the infraction was called and seconded or called by an official! Then if it was a second infraction you would re-throw and accept the fate of that throw.

Glad to see you have great forum quoting capability!
          PDGA #25296
          Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
            Glad to see you have great forum quoting capability!
            I can quote all day long. It's original material that challenges me.

I know, I know, fill in the blanks... I wouldn't count on some newb being able to do that, though. On second thought, if a newb is looking for rulings on the forums instead of in a rulebook then they're screwing themselves.

I can't believe how many people pay money to compete for cash/prizes without a relatively comprehensive knowledge of the rules. That's like sitting down at a poker table not knowing what hand beats what. I could probably tack on 5 penalty strokes to most of my card's scores illegitimately and they would never know.
            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

I can quote all day long. It's original material that challenges me.

I know, I know, fill in the blanks... I wouldn't count on some newb being able to do that, though. On second thought, if a newb is looking for rulings on the forums instead of in a rulebook then they're screwing themselves.

I can't believe how many people pay money to compete for cash/prizes without a relatively comprehensive knowledge of the rules. That's like sitting down at a poker table not knowing what hand beats what. I could probably tack on 5 penalty strokes to most of my card's scores illegitimately and they would never know.
              Lets test the knowledge with a real life event, shall we.
              Let's say a player marks his/her lie then tosses the originally thrown disc behind them as they mark (assume they did not toss it more than the maximum distance allowed). they go back to their bag, get a disc to throw and proceed to throw the new disc from their old disc laying on the ground, NOT from their marker. What should the ruling be? Why?
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by Toby Puttzinski View Post
                A player can gain a significant advantage by having a 'slightly falling' putting style disguised by a smooth mini swiping technique. I didn't watch the video, but, after reading the posts I have concluded that it was a falling putt, according to how I interpret the rule-- Flash put it simply when he referred to the 'Puttee' not being able to 'return back to his original stance' once his momentum was going forward, and he reached down for the mini--

What about defining balance as being able to demonstrate 'balance' on 2 feet(or 2 pts of contact behind the marker) for at least 1 count?.. then there would be no question as to whether or not said player 'demonstrated' that they wouldn't have fallen forward while trying to balance on one leg and/or swiping up their marker.

I'm having poster's remorse --what a freaggin' waste of time-- gonna go work on my falling putts now... no ten meter line for my basket at work, so it's not 'really' a falling putt right--

PUTTS

I think that there will never be,
                a falling putt I'd like to see.

A leaning putter's hand that's pressed,
                against the sweet earth where mini rests.

A disc that finds the chains all day,
                should makes it's course by the rules of play.

A disc that may in summer wear,
                a metal nest or chains like hair.

Upon a course with snow and rain,
                we seek the sound of disc in chain.

Putts are made by fools like me,
                but only God knows if it's a three.

AUTHOR: Louis Untermeyer, ed., 1885Ė1977.
                TITLE: Modern American poetry: an introduction, edited by Louis Untermeyer.
                PUBLISHED: New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1919.
                PHYSICAL DETAILS: xviii, 170 p.; 20 cm.
                ISBN: 1-58734-062-3.
                CITATION: Untermeyer, Louis. Modern American Poetry. New York: Harcourt, Brace and Howe, 1919; Bartleby.com, 1999. www.bartleby.com/104/. [Date of Printout].
                ON-LINE ED.: Published January 1999 by Bartleby.com; © Copyright Bartleby.com, Inc. (Terms of Use).
                New Favorite post ever!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
                Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                  Let's say a player marks his/her lie then tosses the originally thrown disc behind them as they mark (assume they did not toss it more than the maximum distance allowed). they go back to their bag, get a disc to throw and proceed to throw the new disc from their old disc laying on the ground, NOT from their marker. What should the ruling be? Why?
                  I didn't get to hear the official ruling on this but I would have called it a practice throw as it did not occur from the actual lie.
                  Current World Rank: 2857th
                  Lowest Rated Round: 777
                  Worst Tournament Finish: 2nd From DFL MA2 GNO 2008
                  Worst Drive: 10 Feet behind teepad
                  Shortest Putt Missed During a Tournament: < 1 foot (Not Kidding)
                  Best Fall: Hole 11 Trojan Park, before cement teepads
                  Dirtiest Ace: Hole 12 Horning's Canyon Course through the "V" tree.
                  Pairs of Shoes Ruined: 6

Comment

The player or someone in the group could call a foot fault within 3 seconds per 803.04A(1) & F. If the call is seconded, then it could result in a rethrow from the proper lie with just a warning if it's the first foot fault called on the player. If not called within 3 seconds, it would be a practice throw.

Interestingly, if the misplayed lie is discovered by the player, and hadn't been seen/remembered by any other player after the player has holed out, there is no specific provision in the rules to call a practice throw, correct the situation by rethrowing or providing a penalty. The score on the hole from the practice throw lie counts with no penalty. It's a stretch but a marshal/TD might try to apply a 2-throw penalty using an intepretation of the 801.04 Playing the Stipulated Course rule. But making a misplay from the wrong lie, that was not another player's lie, isn't directly spelled out. The TD would have to use 803.01F on fairness to imply that 801.04 is intended to cover all misplays discovered after a hole is not completed correctly with a 2-throw penalty being the blanket penalty for all of these situations.

Comment

Stance violation. If nobody calls it, then play on. Foolishness is certainly not an attempt to circumvent the rules, and the lie doesn't belong to another player.

Has this happened to a card of yours before, smobro?

Comment

Stance violation. If nobody calls it, then play on. Foolishness is certainly not an attempt to circumvent the rules, and the lie doesn't belong to another player.

He tries it all the time. You have to watch him like a hawk. Crafty bastard.

Comment

(assume they did not toss it more than the maximum distance allowed).
                          Since we are talking about rules... if the player tossed his disc back towards his bag and then shot from the wrong lie, that would be two one-stroke penalties for two practice shots.

Please remember... the PDGA removed the distance from the rule about throwing things as a practice shot. It could go two inches - as a toss - and it would violate the letter of the rule.
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

This happened in the Final 9 at the Bad Monkey Open.

As an aside, I saw at least two of the final 9 guys tossing their disc back to their bags. Had I been a participant, I would have called a penalty for practice shots. I was a little stunned that no one said anything, really.
                            ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                            ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I saw a video clip one time of Nikko (at the memorial, perhaps) and he threw a disc a couple of feet in the air and caught it again. What's the ruling on that?

Sam, where is this written down? A Q&A? I haven't heard about this change.

Comment

I saw a video clip one time of Nikko (at the memorial, perhaps) and he threw a disc a couple of feet in the air and caught it again. What's the ruling on that?

Sam, where is this written down? A Q&A? I haven't heard about this change.
                                Not Sam, but

B. Practice Throws. A player who throws a practice throw or an extra throw with any disc any time after the
                                start of his or her round and prior to his or her finishing the last hole of the round (except
                                for throws that must be re-thrown in accordance with the rules, provisional throws made
                                pursuant to 803.01 C and 803.01 D (3), or throws during a suspension or postponement of play) shall receive
                                one penalty throw. The practice throw or extra throw must be observed by any two players or an
                                official.

I seem to remember that there was a 2foot rule (or at least that's what someone tried to pull on me).
                                There is no mention of it in the summary of rules changes. Looks like they took out the distance requirement when we weren't looking.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X