Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

being a pdga official you must maintain ballance after it comes to rest ,, so yes you could fall forward well after the disc comes to rest and still be a foul,
    also if it hits the basket and rolls towards o.b. over a hill and you run after it to save it's still a foul,the disc has not come to rest, I saw this last year at whistlers on 13 ,someone was atop the basket putting downhill ,missed the putt and started walking down the hill after it,that should have been a violation , don't know if called,but no you can't chase after your rolling putt

Comment

the rule there would have been to place it where it was touched or the player may take a rethrow, two stroke penalty to caddies player

Comment

sorry he said spotter not caddie no penalty

Comment

Originally posted by SMOKIN JOE View Post
          being a pdga official you must maintain ballance after it comes to rest ,, so yes you could fall forward well after the disc comes to rest and still be a foul,
          also if it hits the basket and rolls towards o.b. over a hill and you run after it to save it's still a foul,the disc has not come to rest, I saw this last year at whistlers on 13 ,someone was atop the basket putting downhill ,missed the putt and started walking down the hill after it,that should have been a violation , don't know if called,but no you can't chase after your rolling putt
          That's not what Chuck just said.
          Once you have demonstrated balance, you can proceed toward your disc regardless whether it has come to rest.

Comment

Sounds like you can chase after your disc, but not touch it until it comes to rest.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              Sounds like you can chase after your disc, but not touch it until it comes to rest.
              ... or until it has gone completely OB.
              "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

for one you are using a definition not a rule
                definitions are words used in the rules ,,,not rules,,,
                it clearly states the disc must come to rest,then show balance,then proceed, nothing else,, no o.b. no nothing

Comment

Am I the only one who is unnerved by this statement? Claiming status as a PDGA official and then misinterpreting/misreading the rules (especially on one of the most common infractions a player can commit) makes me wonder about the difficulty of becoming an official official. Joe, the rules say not a thing about the status of the disc, only the status of a player's balance prior to moving beyond their lie.

I called my first ever rules violation last weekend at the LCO- dude was putting uphill and made his 8-footer, but he did the Three Stooges windmilling arms and fell forward. Two of us immediately called the falling putt, only to have to spend 5 minutes debating with the rest of the card about this whole "disc coming to rest" BS.

The three yahoos only conceded the argument when they saw me pulling my rulebook out of my bag. Their attitude was like "don't brandish that thing at me!" as if it was a crucifix and they were vampires. It was if the rulebook is some poisonous artifact you should never touch.

He missed his re-putt. Very painful to watch, but rules are rules. (Please excuse the personal anecdote, but I felt it was applicable in this case.)
                  The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

for one you are using a definition not a rule
                    definitions are words used in the rules ,,,not rules,,,
                    it clearly states the disc must come to rest,then show balance,then proceed, nothing else,, no o.b. no nothing
                    Where in the rules does it say the disc must come to rest? This is the gap in my opinion on the rule as I have not found anything that states that the disc must come to rest. I think this is implied by most players, but it is not stated in the rules or definitions.

Todd

Comment

It seems to me that the rule is very clear: You must show balance before stepping past your lie when inside the 10m circle. That is it!

There are two other rules that are often misunderstood by many golfers:

1) When you loose a disc you must play your next shot from your previous lie. This includes situations where you have thrown OB and the group agrees where you crossed the OB line.

2) Once your disc has come to rest your lie has been established. It doesn't matter if your disc is moved by wind, a spectator, another players disc, a dog, etc... If a disc is moved after it has come to rest then it is replaced at the approximate spot it came to rest.

We should have a rules clinic in the near future!

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                        2) Once your disc has come to rest your lie has been established. It doesn't matter if your disc is moved by wind, a spectator, another players disc, a dog, etc... If a disc is moved after it has come to rest then it is replaced at the approximate spot it came to rest.

What about when the wind causes your disc to fall from a tree? I was under the impression that where it ends up is your lie, not the original spot from which it fell. I haven't read the Rules Q&A in some time, did this change?

I've had to help cardmates approximate their original lie after another upshot knocked theirs a few feet closer to the basket. They always seem so upset that they don't get to take the new lie...

EDIT: yeah, I just read the Q&A again, plus the applicable rule. Your lie will be wherever the disc ends up when it falls out of a tree because of wind power.
                        Last edited by ChUcK; June 5th, 2009, 11:24 AM. Reason: looked it up
                        The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by Pizzel View Post
                          It seems to me that the rule is very clear: You must show balance before stepping past your lie when inside the 10m circle. That is it!

There are two other rules that are often misunderstood by many golfers:

1) When you lose a disc you must play your next shot from your previous lie. This includes situations where you have thrown OB and the group agrees where you crossed the OB line.

I would agree these are misunderstood considering both of these statements are not completely correct.

1) If you go OB and the group agrees you did go OB, then it's not treated as a lost disc even if you cannot see it in the OB area. You play it using the OB rule options for marking your next lie.

2) If your disc is 'temporarily at rest" above the playing surface (except on the basket) and moves before the player gets there to mark it, the lie is wherever it ends up after it lands on the playing surface. If a spectator intentionally interferes with the shot, you get your lie where the interference happened, not where it lands. You can even choose to rethrow. As an aside, your disc never really has to come to rest if your group agrees to call your throw at rest. A common example is on a windy day when your disc lands in the chains and the whole assembly is swaying. Your group can indicate your disc is relatively at rest in the chains which allows you to remove it to complete the hole.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                            I would agree these are misunderstood considering both of these statements are not completely correct.

1) If you go OB and the group agrees you did go OB, then it's not treated as a lost disc even if you cannot see it in the OB area. You play it using the OB rule options for marking your next lie.

2) If your disc is 'temporarily at rest" above the playing surface (except on the basket) and moves before the player gets there to mark it, the lie is wherever it ends up after it lands on the playing surface. If a spectator intentionally interferes with the shot, you get your lie where the interference happened, not where it lands. You can even choose to rethrow. As an aside, your disc never really has to come to rest if your group agrees to call your throw at rest. A common example is on a windy day when your disc lands in the chains and the whole assembly is swaying. Your group can indicate your disc is relatively at rest in the chains which allows you to remove it to complete the hole.
                            This second example occurred at one of the Hyzer Desert Open events. John Ollis who threw a disc into a tree and he stepped up and placed his mini directly under the stuck disc. Seconds after placing his mini the wind kicked up and his disc fell right next to him. Because he had already marked his lie, he had to take the penalty and play on.
                            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

one should have rule book when stating rule book

after getting home and reading my rulebook I stand corrected ,,,I did not see what I believed to be correct,,,my bad,,, the spotter ruling would be play it where it was picked up by the spotter, the o.b. rule is simple, if you can't find it it's lost o.b. or not,even if it's o.b. you still must find it,the two meter rule is when he arrives at the point at which the disc is ,so if it falls while bending over to mark his lie it would still be o.b. eventhough he had not marked it yet
                              sorry for not having book in hand earlier

Comment

While I was marshaling the BSF a player had a falling putt while on his knees (hand touched the ground in front of the lie). He kept trying to say that a hand is not a supporting point (even after showing him the definition of 'supporting point' in the book). BTW, the rules are available (free) online at pdga.com.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X