X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• World Championships?

About three weeks ago a few people approched Oregon Sports about hosting the World Championships here in Oregon in 2011. Supposably they were some of the organizers from the Beaver State Fling. I tried to follow up this week with Brian Graham from PDGA to find out what was going on and he said that no one submitted a bid for it, but that the Pro end of it was still up for bid. Does anyone know who the folks were and if there is still interest?
    Thanks,
    Bob

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
    About three weeks ago a few people approched Oregon Sports about hosting the World Championships here in Oregon in 2011. Supposably they were some of the organizers from the Beaver State Fling. I tried to follow up this week with Brian Graham from PDGA to find out what was going on and he said that no one submitted a bid for it, but that the Pro end of it was still up for bid. Does anyone know who the folks were and if there is still interest?
    Thanks,
    Bob
    Bob,
    I believe you need to speak with Mike Phillips.
    -gw

Comment

Haha, I can guarantee there's still interest...worlds in OR seems to be a topic that resurrects itself every so often. I didn't realize 2011 was up for grabs. I'd say the feasibility is looking better than ever though...Milo East & West, Trojan, Pier, Horning's "Gold" are all (or will be) solid courses that would work. Possibly Timber, Dabney, and Horning's Canyon course could be utilized too?
      Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

You only need about four courses with each division playing three different and appropriate courses twice during prelims.

Comment

I talked to Cris about this a couple of months back and he was heading up the bid process. I'm not sure where that is at now that the Bellingers have stepped down from running the Oregon Series.

Their plan was to only use Milo McIver. Cris said that he had used BSF as an example and had convinced people that the two courses would be enough if we used tee times. That's about all I know.

-Ben

Comment

I think there was talking about setting up 1-2 temp additional courses at Milo

Comment

I left a message with Mike to see if he's the one I should talk to. The reason I ask is because with the upgrades on the current course, the new course we're making, Milo, and with the new Stub Stewart (it should be a good tournament course too, we can make sure of that) that Oregon should be a prime candidate for the World Championships and I'm just trying to follow though on ideas already started somewhere.
              Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                I think there was talking about setting up 1-2 temp additional courses at Milo
                I figured that would be the case but when I spoke to Cris he specifically said they were not going to add additional courses to the BSF setup.

Comment

Yes I spoke with Oregon Sports Authority about submitting a bid to have worlds in Portland Oregon. Jeff Mittl and I had a meeting with the CEO of Oregon Sports Authority and things went really well. We however were not looking at the 2011 Worlds but the 2012 worlds, we would like to have a combined worlds event here in Portland. If I am involved and I am going to go through the work of putting on this caliber of event then I would want it to be grandiose, and that means a combined worlds event!

We are not planning anything official and have just been using the Beaver State Fling as an opportunity to sell the idea to some heavy hitters in Oregon to see if there is any interest. Jeff and I will continue looking into the worlds opportunities after the Beaver State Fling. The list of items that need to be in place and supported to even bid is significant and not just a checklist of items that would be nice to have. I recommend you all read it Worlds Bid Process

I asked Cris from a PDGA standpoint, if 2012 was available and he said it was not, it has already been given out. So we are not sure what we would want to do. We will have to see later. From a promoter stand point Cris is not interested in worlds at this time. Perhaps he will have a change of heart but for now he is not interested.
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                    Yes I spoke with Oregon Sports Authority about submitting a bid to have worlds in Portland Oregon. Jeff Mittl and I had a meeting with the CEO of Oregon Sports Authority and things went really well. We however were not looking at the 2011 Worlds but the 2012 worlds, we would like to have a combined worlds event here in Portland. If I am involved and I am going to go through the work of putting on this caliber of event then I would want it to be grandiose, and that means a combined worlds event!

We are not planning anything official and have just been using the Beaver State Fling as an opportunity to sell the idea to some heavy hitters in Oregon to see if there is any interest. Jeff and I will continue looking into the worlds opportunities after the Beaver State Fling. The list of items that need to be in place and supported to even bid is significant and not just a checklist of items that would be nice to have. I recommend you all read it Worlds Bid Process

I asked Cris from a PDGA standpoint, if 2012 was available and he said it was not, it has already been given out. So we are not sure what we would want to do. We will have to see later. From a promoter stand point Cris is not interested in worlds at this time. Perhaps he will have a change of heart but for now he is not interested.

If I am correct...2010 is Pro/Am in Chicago (tentative)
                    2011 Am Worlds is already given out, NO ONE has bid for Pro Worlds yet (might go over seas )
                    2012 Pro/Am Worlds was just given to Charlotte, NC

As Mike stated, the process and guidelines are QUITE extensive......It would be SWEET though.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post

If I am correct...2010 is Pro/Am in Chicago (tentative)
                      2011 Am Worlds is already given out, NO ONE has bid for Pro Worlds yet (might go over seas )
                      2012 Pro/Am Worlds was just given to Charlotte, NC

As Mike stated, the process and guidelines are QUITE extensive......It would be SWEET though.

2011 Pro Worlds!!!! Lets doooo it!
                      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Be patient.... How about a 2013 combined worlds?
                        Hell, by that time I might be good enough to compete in the damn thing.

Comment

Let's do combined in 2013. Screw it. Let's just golf now!
                          ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                          ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

That's going on the assumption that we'll all still be around in 2013.
                            Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Oh yeah... the Mayans... Forgot about that. Stupid December 21st, 2012... screwing up the world for all of us.
                              ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                              ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X