Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I like something with "gong" in it. The Canyon course baskets can be Horning Gong I, and the Highlands can be the Gong II or something?

Comment

Originally posted by Bob Horning View Post
      INNOVA has such names as Mach 1, etc... What's some ideas out there for names? (be nice)
      How about: The Canyonero

Oh, wait. Simpsons already took it.

It's funnier in German.
      "Operator! Give me the number for 911! " - Homer S.

Comment

Which brings up another subject, we need to call them something. INNOVA has such names as Mach 1, etc... What's some ideas out there for names? (be nice)
        Chain Bang Incident
        Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Raising money for a combined worlds is not a huge difficulty... every disc golf brand basically breaks down the door trying to throw product and cash your way. Oregon Sports Authority has a large amount of money as well (should they elect to grant us some funds).

Sadly, the baskets at Hornings would be very poorly received simply because they are different (however, getting 18 or 36 other borrowed baskets in there for two weeks would be easy).

We need to ask ourselves if we want to run a so-so worlds or the best worlds ever. Courses like Hornings (haven't seen the gold yet), Pier, Dabney, etc. may be OK but do not have the difficulty level (skill, not luck) that make a premiere worlds course. Milo E/W @ BSF preparation levels are the only premiere pro-worlds caliber courses that I've seen so far in Oregon (whistler's bend in the longs may be the other). It is important to have good scoring separation on every hole and a wide mix of shot variety (short, long, left, right, straight, etc.). In order to ensure a good scoring separation you need to run multiple tournaments with a large group of pro players and make adjustments to holes that are too easy, too consistent (everyone hit pars) or too hard / luck prone. It takes multiple tournaments to dial a course in. You also need space for spectators to park and watch the players.

Also keep in mind that the courses need to be fairly close to each other and that a large, centrally located host hotel / venue is needed. Hornings certainly has the space but what about the hotel facilities (not everyone will want to camp)?

Comment

I've played in 2 Am Worlds:
            1. Flagstaff, AZ. The courses were decent but not outstanding. One of the courses was up on the Mtn and required about a 40min drive, so a bit of a drive might be OK.

2. Milwaukee, WI. The courses here were not great, and many were pretty disappointed with them because they could be played with a mid-range disc on most holes. I know our courses here (Milo, Pier and even perhaps Dabney/Timber) would hold up compared to them.

Just some comments...
            Breeze Huckin Master

Comment

Baskets used in any sactioned tournament above C has to be certified by the PDGA. When I comes tikme to make bakets for the new course they will have the same design as the Highland, short throw course, with the extra chains (better catching). I will be making an extra basket and sending it to PDGA to be certified (they keep it), since they are built to PDGA specs. Which brings up another subject, we need to call them something. INNOVA has such names as Mach 1, etc... What's some ideas out there for names? (be nice)
              The chains are not really the issue. the wheel is likely the sticky wicket. The inside of the wheel is so slick that a well delivered nose down putt can very easily scoop out. I don't notice chain outs as much on the Highland course due to the multiple chains. but scoop outs do happen with seemingly more regularity than the popular basket brands on some of our other great courses. However, if the PDGA will give approval, then I am looking forward to putting the baskets at HH in Worlds!
              Training to be a bagger

Comment

Originally posted by smobro View Post
                The chains are not really the issue. the wheel is likely the sticky wicket. The inside of the wheel is so slick that a well delivered nose down putt can very easily scoop out. I don't notice chain outs as much on the Highland course due to the multiple chains. but scoop outs do happen with seemingly more regularity than the popular basket brands on some of our other great courses. However, if the PDGA will give approval, then I am looking forward to putting the baskets at HH in Worlds!
                Respectfully, I'd like to encourage Bob to use standard baskets for the "gold" course. Especially if Worlds is a consideration. I totally understand budgetary restrictions, but if you're using all that land and trying to create a "Worlds" class course that will be there for years getting thousands of rounds of play, that people will love, and that could become the focus for big, awesome tournaments with camping, fishing, (music?) and potentially a Worlds bid, do you really want homemade baskets, even if they get PDGA approval?

Fundraiser, anyone?

Comment

For now, I have budgeted for the home made baskets and I have looked at the new certification requirements, and they are not that hard to meet. I will have to go to a smaller top ring (I can get those), but that is basically it. With the smaller ring I can also hang the chains even lower in the basket, thus keeping the discs from spitting out at all (smobro's comment). After I make the baskets for the new course I will go back and re-do the canyon course (the short course will remain as is, no changes) In the future when more funds are coming in we will look at different baskets for the new course, but for right now we're going with the modified home made that will be certified.

Comment

I love them Bob, and when the pdga cert. comes in it will be a mute point.
                    J
                    educate your thinking

Comment

I think "normal" baskets at HH would be a shame. It'd be like replacing the peacocks with chickens.
                      Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I love them Bob, and when the pdga cert. comes in it will be a mute point.
                        I wish that you'll be correct but I've seen too many pros at tournaments and know exactly what their response will be. The Oregon Series event down in Grants Pass a few years ago featured very similar baskets and there were a LOT of complaints (not necessarily justified). For B tiers and below the current baskets are perfectly fine. If you want to run A tier events and above then you'll need to install recognized equipment (that everyone across the U.S. has played on before), not because of PDGA legality issues, but because of player's expectations.

Comment

Originally posted by Greg_R View Post
                          I wish that you'll be correct but I've seen too many pros at tournaments and know exactly what their response will be. The Oregon Series event down in Grants Pass a few years ago featured very similar baskets and there were a LOT of complaints (not necessarily justified). For B tiers and below the current baskets are perfectly fine. If you want to run A tier events and above then you'll need to install recognized equipment (that everyone across the U.S. has played on before), not because of PDGA legality issues, but because of player's expectations.
                          Agreed. One potential solution might just be to ensure the anchors are compatible with standard basket collars. That way we could drop in baskets if we need to.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

After the Gold course is put and the baskets are certified, Bob could start selling baskets for other courses. That way more people would have more experience with them. Park Officials in Oregon would like the made in Oregon idea.

I kinda like the name "Oregon Gold" Disc Golf Basket.

Comment

If you want to run A tier events and above then you'll need to install recognized equipment (that everyone across the U.S. has played on before), not because of PDGA legality issues, but because of player's expectations.
                              All equipment is new at some point. For all we know these could turn out to be the next standard that everything else is compared to. I don't think anyone should pass judgment until the new baskets are complete and have been experienced first hand. If they are built to PDGA specs then the anchors will be compatible with everything else anyway so they could be switched out if needed.

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
                                Agreed. One potential solution might just be to ensure the anchors are compatible with standard basket collars. That way we could drop in baskets if we need to.
                                good idea.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X