X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 804.05 Disqualification and Suspension

Concerning part of the above PDGA rule being hashed out in another thread about use of drugs and alcohol in tournement play lets have a thread of its own.

From the PDGA Official Rules of Disc Golf handbook:

804.05 Disqualification and Suspension
    A. A player shall be disqulified by the director for meeting any of the neccessary conditions of disqualification as set forth in the rules, or for an of the following:

(4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

There's the rule as it stands! No where does it say "at the discretion of the TD/Official". The rule must be followed or the player IS disqualified. However for me this rule does lend a lot to interpretation. It doesn't say "up to the two minute warning" nor does it say "after you putt out on your last hole". Also it uses the term, "illegal consumption of", which could mean medical pot is OK. Or that if it is legal to consume alcohol in the park or on the course that it is NOT in violation of the rule.

For purposes of the growth of the sport I believe this rule needs to clarified, in writing, in all printed and online materials by the PDGA. My belief is that the rule should read:

(4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the consumption of drugs or alcohol on premises of any PDGA sanctioned disc golf event.

Lets see where this discusion can take us.

Bob

I thought that I read somewhere, maybe the competition manual, that no drugs or alcohol were to be consumed during a tournament round. From the 2 minute warning until cards are turned in. I can't remember the rule, but remember looking into it because the language could be read as you suggested Bob.

At one time I was going to try and be a test case...Then realized it was a dumb idea.
    Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Ok, found it.

"Section 3: Player Code of Conduct

3.3. Professional Misconduct

A. The PDGA adopts a strict policy of appropriate behavior
      and comments to the media. Any conduct deemed to be
      unprofessional is subject to disqualification by the
      Tournament Director, and may also be subject to
      suspension from PDGA events.

B. Players are expected to behave in a professional and
      sportsmanlike manner while participating in a PDGA
      sanctioned event. Actions that are in violation of this
      conduct include but are not limited to:

• Throwing items in anger (other than discs in play)

• Overt rudeness

• Destruction or abuse of property, including plant life

• Cheating or willful attempt to circumvent the rules of
      play

• Fighting or threatening other players, tournament staff,
      or spectators

Consumption of alcohol or use of any illegal substance
      from the 2-minute warning until the player’s scorecard is
      submitted

• Abuse of alcohol after play and on course property is
      considered professional misconduct

• Underage drinking"

I pulled that from the pdga website.
      Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
        I thought that I read somewhere, maybe the competition manual, that no drugs or alcohol were to be consumed during a tournament round. From the 2 minute warning until cards are turned in. I can't remember the rule, but remember looking into it because the language could be read as you suggested Bob.

At one time I was going to try and be a test case...Then realized it was a dumb idea.

Here you go,
        Competition Manual Section 3.1 Player Code of Conduct
        PDGA #25296
        Stumptown #34

Comment

In the past, when guys asked me if it was ok if they smoked during a round, I just said nothing, but this year I have made a promise to myself to say it loud and proud, no you may not flippin break the rules during tournament play and don't make me do something I don't wanna do...

Comment

Good job Snap!

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
            In the past, when guys asked me if it was ok if they smoked during a round, I just said nothing, but this year I have made a promise to myself to say it loud and proud, no you may not flippin break the rules during tournament play and don't make me do something I don't wanna do...
            Even though I wrote the Team Disc Golf rules to use all of the PDGA rules EXCEPT 804.05 A(4), I will call it if I see it during my round as well. So don't do it!
            Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
            Remain ye men of faculty complete,
            Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
            Attending to our noble bond and contract?
            Or does here stand the last remaining man
            To give a fig for rules and order yet,
            No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
            Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
            I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Originally posted by snap7times View Post
              I'm the same way. Last year at Hyzer Pines a dude on my card asked me if I minded if he sparked up. I said I didn't mind, but would be obligated to turn him in. He was very pissed. I asked him if I could take two drives per hole and choose whichever one I liked. Of course he said no. I said that if I can't break a rule of my choice, neither can you. I'm honestly shocked that the incident didn't end with him punching me.

Comment

Originally posted by Sausage Fingers View Post
                Even though I wrote the Team Disc Golf rules to use all of the PDGA rules EXCEPT 804.05 A(4), I will call it if I see it during my round as well. So don't do it!
                Why would you (or a club or series) except this rule? You do not have the authority to overrule city / county / state / federal law. This is absurd and it is this kind of attitude which will continue to grow the perception that disc golf is for drunks and junkies.

You say that you were personally involved in excepting this rule in blatant disregard of the law and then that you would call people on it? I do not even know if there is a type of hypocrisy to describe that. You sir are ridiculous.

Comment

There is actually very little room for interpretation of the rule here. The intent is clear. The rule is straightforward and is worded with precision. It spells out what is necessary and sufficient to demarcate the right from the wrong.

A. A player shall be disqualified by the director for meeting any of the necessary conditions of disqualification as set forth in the rules, or for an of the following:

(4) Activities which are in violation of the law or park regulation or disc golf course rule, including the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

A player shall be disqualified... does not say may be or could be but shall be as in make it so. Activities in violation of rules, whether that be the law of the land, the rules and regulations of the parks department, or the rules of the disc golf course shall result in disqualification.

What can cause a disqualification from a PDGA tournament?
                  Activities which are in violation of the law.
                  Activities which are in violation of park regulation.
                  Activities which are in violation of disc golf course rules.
                  And also, the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

Even the thickest of molasses headed intellects have a knowledge about many laws and a general idea about many others. No one needs legal training to know that it is a violation of the law to assault someone, to steal their car, to rape their woman, etc… I happen to believe that most everyone in the United States knows that it is a violation of the law to consume illegal drugs and that most everyone knows what are considered to be illegal drugs. Consumption of marijuana, crack, meth, heroin, cocaine, opium and other controlled substances is in violation of the law (state and federal and sometimes county or city as well). There are specific formal and documented exemptions of the law. A person is not exempted from the law because they disagree with it. I hope no one has smoked themselves silly enough to forget that it is not legal for you to do so. This rule is clear. An activity which is in violation of the law, as in the law of the land inclusive and comprehensive, will result in disqualification. That is the rule. And guess what, this rule even specifically calls out illegal consumption. So if you do not know what is a violation of the law they have spelled out one specific example in the rules quite clearly.

Activities which are in violation of park regulation. Individual parks (city / county / state / national) have rules and regulations. Many times they are posted clearly on the premises. They are always available from the parks department. There are some activities which are not a violation of the law which may be a violation of park regulation. Guess what? Almost every park rules and regulations list explicitly and clearly spells out that it is not legal to consume controlled substances. Illegal consumption is a violation of the law and it is a violation of park regulations. Two for two here.

Activities which are in violation of disc golf course rule. Some disc golf courses have additional rules and regulations. An example might be a no smoking policy. Perhaps not an activity in violation of the law, or of park rules and regulations, but may be against the course rules. Violate the local course rules and you are disqualified.

Finally, the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol. Illegal consumption = disqualification. If you are a fucking idiot and you did not know that the consumption of illegal substances was against city / county / state / federal law and you did not know that it is a violation of the rules and regulations of the parks department, then it is abundantly and super clear here. Illegal consumption. Disqualification.

What constitutes illegal consumption? If you personally have a formal exception from a law then you are not guilty of illegal consumption. You are however, in violation of other PDGA rules if your legal consumption of drugs or alcohol occurs during the round. So even if you have permission from God, consumption of drugs or alcohol during a round of PDGA play = disqualification.

Do not be an idiot. You cannot justify the rule away. You should not disregard it. It is clear follow it.

By the way, the context for this has been a PDGA rule which is applicable to PDGA tournament play. PDGA rules are not applicable for other events and occasions. However, the law is always applicable, even when you do not know it.

Comment

Originally posted by AchimbaProphet View Post
                    There is actually very little room for interpretation of the rule here. The intent is clear. The rule is straightforward and is worded with precision. It spells out what is necessary and sufficient to demarcate the right from the wrong.

A. A player shall be disqualified by the director for meeting any of the necessary conditions of disqualification as set forth in the rules, or for an of the following:

A player shall be disqualified... does not say may be or could be but shall be as in make it so. Activities in violation of rules, whether that be the law of the land, the rules and regulations of the parks department, or the rules of the disc golf course shall result in disqualification.

What can cause a disqualification from a PDGA tournament?
                    Activities which are in violation of the law.
                    Activities which are in violation of park regulation.
                    Activities which are in violation of disc golf course rules.
                    And also, the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol.

Even the thickest of molasses headed intellects have a knowledge about many laws and a general idea about many others. No one needs legal training to know that it is a violation of the law to assault someone, to steal their car, to rape their woman, etc… I happen to believe that most everyone in the United States knows that it is a violation of the law to consume illegal drugs and that most everyone knows what are considered to be illegal drugs. Consumption of marijuana, crack, meth, heroin, cocaine, opium and other controlled substances is in violation of the law (state and federal and sometimes county or city as well). There are specific formal and documented exemptions of the law. A person is not exempted from the law because they disagree with it. I hope no one has smoked themselves silly enough to forget that it is not legal for you to do so. This rule is clear. An activity which is in violation of the law, as in the law of the land inclusive and comprehensive, will result in disqualification. That is the rule. And guess what, this rule even specifically calls out illegal consumption. So if you do not know what is a violation of the law they have spelled out one specific example in the rules quite clearly.

Activities which are in violation of park regulation. Individual parks (city / county / state / national) have rules and regulations. Many times they are posted clearly on the premises. They are always available from the parks department. There are some activities which are not a violation of the law which may be a violation of park regulation. Guess what? Almost every park rules and regulations list explicitly and clearly spells out that it is not legal to consume controlled substances. Illegal consumption is a violation of the law and it is a violation of park regulations. Two for two here.

Activities which are in violation of disc golf course rule. Some disc golf courses have additional rules and regulations. An example might be a no smoking policy. Perhaps not an activity in violation of the law, or of park rules and regulations, but may be against the course rules. Violate the local course rules and you are disqualified.

Finally, the illegal consumption of drugs or alcohol. Illegal consumption = disqualification. If you are a fucking idiot and you did not know that the consumption of illegal substances was against city / county / state / federal law and you did not know that it is a violation of the rules and regulations of the parks department, then it is abundantly and super clear here. Illegal consumption. Disqualification.

What constitutes illegal consumption? If you personally have a formal exception from a law then you are not guilty of illegal consumption. You are however, in violation of other PDGA rules if your legal consumption of drugs or alcohol occurs during the round. So even if you have permission from God, consumption of drugs or alcohol during a round of PDGA play = disqualification.

Do not be an idiot. You cannot justify the rule away. You should not disregard it. It is clear follow it.

By the way, the context for this has been a PDGA rule which is applicable to PDGA tournament play. PDGA rules are not applicable for other events and occasions. However, the law is always applicable, even when you do not know it.

I started reading this but was so high I couldn't finish it. Maybe later. JK

I do think the spirit of the rule is designed to help PDGA events mainstream as stick golf did. I personally would like to see a dress code for Pros. Imagine the cool threads they could come up with. I say bring on the big, bling belt buckles and the plaid pants! However, I think the gallery should be allowed to get as ripped as they want.
                    Training to be a bagger

Comment

Damn!

Why would you (or a club or series) except this rule? You do not have the authority to overrule city / county / state / federal law. This is absurd and it is this kind of attitude which will continue to grow the perception that disc golf is for drunks and junkies.

You say that you were personally involved in excepting this rule in blatant disregard of the law and then that you would call people on it? I do not even know if there is a type of hypocrisy to describe that. You sir are ridiculous.
                      Team Disc Golf is a free, casual non-PDGA winter event that I run because I want to. I can have any rules that I please. If someone objects, they don't have to play. Using the PDGA rules, as they pertain to disc golf, makes it easy for everyone to understand. I'm sure that you use them when you play a casual round of disc golf. But even those violations aren't called that often because it is casual play in the winter.

Now playing in a PDGA tournament is an entirely different event. Follow the rules. They will be called.

I don't see that as hypocrisy.
                      Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                      Or does here stand the last remaining man
                      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                      I’ll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I don't see it as hypocrisy either. I think the difference is PDGA vs. non-PDGA, really. In a a PDGA event, it has to be followed. I have told people to not smoke during a tournament round or I would say something to the TD. I have also encouraged others to say something when they have seen violations of the rules. We all enter these tournaments with an understanding of the rules - or we should, anyway. Follow them or face the consequences.

Agreeing with this rule really has nothing to do with following it and/or enforcing it, in my opinion.

Honestly, if you didn't let me drink during Team Disc Golf - even if it is at a downtown park with big trees and rhymes with beer - I probably wouldn't come. Crappy weather and no drinking? No thanks. I'll watch college football.
                        “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
                        ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

]You say that you were personally involved in excepting this rule in blatant disregard of the law and then that you would call people on it?
                          Uh... EXCEPT...

SausageFingers runs NON-PDGA, NON-PDGA, NON-PDGA, NON-PDGA, NON-PDGA events.

D'oh!

Jordan (SF) ran the Trojan leg of the RCO last year and would not have made an exception for this rule, I have no doubt.

Apologies coming in 3, 2,...?
                          “I believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know — Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, that’s in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, I’ll know I’m a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? I’m not sure, but it’s possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.”
                          ~Annika Sörenstam

Comment

Personally I dont care what people do during casual rounds, or even in Non PDGA events. I myself have drank many beers during Tue 2's and at many other non alcoholic parks. I dont condone it at all, but people are going to do it, regardless. As far as PDGA events go, rules are rules, regardless of its in an alcohol allowed park or not. you drink when you are not supposed to, you run the chance of getting busted!!!!! As far as the greenage goes, the same rules apply when it comes to PDGA events. When it comes to the green and casual or non PDGA events, you are taking that chance if thats what you want to do. If a cop came up to my group in a casual round cause they saw people smoking weed or drinking, they could search my bag. I dont ever carry weed, or smoke it, so they wouldnt find that in my bag. If I was drinking in a park that didnt allow it, and I got5 caught, I would deal with that on my own.

By the way since my DUI last summer, I am going through my alcohol treatment soon, and am going to quit, or really lower my drinking amounts
                            All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Comment

Your clear endorsement of illegal activites is not welcome.

Ultimately, it is irrelevant if illegal consumption of drugs is or is not OK for disc golf play. It is not OK by the law if you are playing disc golf, tennis, or wall ball. That is part of the hipocrisy. It is never legal for you to allow illegal consumption, because you do not have the power to invalidate the law, yet you suggest that it is acceptable for your non-PDGA event.

You: Well this is a non-PDGA event so burn a fatty during casual play we do not care.
                              Me: It is always illegal to consume controlled substances, even during your casual play.

The difference between a PDGA and a non-PDGA tournament is explicit disqualification from the event. The similarity between the two is that in both cases it is a violation of the law to consume illegal substances. Do you get it? Is it clear? You can not say that it is acceptable to do drugs at your event because it is against the law to do so. Is it sinking in? Do you see through the haze? Should I elaborate about how you explicitly condoning violating the law does not help the perception of disc golf? Will it help the promotion of the sport for people to read that you think that it is totally fine to do drugs on your courses? Furthermore, that you can go to the course and virtually every time find someone engaging in the consumption of illegal substances. You guys are tipping of the authorities to yourselves. Classic.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X