X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by all2common View Post
    all the weed smoking that goes on during every round I've ever played in a Washington tournament.
    i totally agree with this! i personally dont agree with smoking pot, but i know it happens on the course. i have come to accept that in casual rounds, but i cant stand it during a tournament. i played all the washington state series on the west side of the mountains last year. in every tournament there were people "smoking". i was new to the tournnament scene so i didnt feel i could say anything, but this has to stop!

especially the pro division.
    Team HOSER:dancing:
    Team OLY:cheerleader:
    Team Meteor

"Oh man, my burps are giving me whiplash"

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
      i totally agree with this! i personally dont agree with smoking pot, but i know it happens on the course. i have come to accept that in casual rounds, but i cant stand it during a tournament. i played all the washington state series on the west side of the mountains last year. in every tournament there were people "smoking". i was new to the tournnament scene so i didnt feel i could say anything, but this has to stop!

especially the pro division.

At the risk of sounding naive, does this really go on during rounds in the pro divisions of PDGA tournaments?

Comment

It even happens during some of the local home tournaments that are not PDGA events.. It's frustrating for me because I don't smoke (neither stuff) and it's annoying because it is not professional if you want the whole family to come and watch the disc golf events; to be positive as well!
        I don't want the Non-disc golfers to get an idea that "oh, they smoke pot during disc golf, so all disc golf players smoke pot..." That's full of crap - if you're going to do stuff - do it at home - not on the course, nor on the parking lot, nor on the road.. leave it at home!
        Practice - Practice - Practice -- Doing what I can to keep it on the fairway _ at least I try to!
        DDGA #202; WDDGA #37; ODDGA #47 ; PDGA #38171

Comment

At the NT level, definitely not because too many eyes, A and B levels have been better about it in the last year or two... But I know Oregon is quite better at enforcing this than Washington and California since I have played plenty of tournaments in the COW states... I have made it a point to emphasize on this in all tournaments I have TD'd and have seen a few guys make faces and throw a tantrum but they followed the rules because they know the DDGA president has put his foot down on this ruling and I am an officer as well. Personally I dont care if the players do it two minutes before the round starts and 30 seconds after the last putt on our card.. but not during the round and certainly not in plain sight. From my own expirence at Washington tournaments, the players and staff have not given a flying "pig" about this rule in both Deaf and hearing tournaments.
          As for the Pros, most of them stick to smoking legal cigarettes during rounds.
          The reason i bring up "plain sight" is a few occasions, I have seen hearing players, mostly at Oregon and Cali tournaments, whip out these hugeeeeeeee buds that are like a foot long and pass it around for show in the parking lot of public parks like Adair, Wilamette, and Bryant... I was like WTFD, it only takes one park ranger or law enforcement officer to see this and we are done for!
          Also, lets not forget that the venue for the Player's Cup has rejected us and we are out of a excellent venue at the Red Hawk course in Florida because of all the lewd behavior and pot smoking that was not done privately or wisely...

Comment

Originally posted by all2common View Post
            all the weed smoking that goes on during every round I've ever played in a Washington tournament.

And there is no smoke in Oregon with it's medical laws and such. That would be a good test someone with a MMC gets tossed from a tourney in a state that supports said cards. Ther goes the "against the law" agrument at least till it gets to court.

Anyway this thread is about Officals and how they best can effect change in DG. I say pick your battles Falling putts, In the neighborhood of there mini and such but don't ask me to enforce the law. If you feel that strongly about it. There are peolpe who are paid to do just that enforce the law.
            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
              At the risk of sounding naive, does this really go on during rounds in the pro divisions of PDGA tournaments?
              Yes.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                And there is no smoke in Oregon with it's medical laws and such. That would be a good test someone with a MMC gets tossed from a tourney in a state that supports said cards. Ther goes the "against the law" agrument at least till it gets to court.

Anyway this thread is about Officals and how they best can effect change in DG. I say pick your battles Falling putts, In the neighborhood of there mini and such but don't ask me to enforce the law. If you feel that strongly about it. There are peolpe who are paid to do just that enforce the law.
                Hate to break it to ya, but it's not just a law - it's a PDGA rule. And as a rule, it does fall under the jurisdiction of the rules officials.

And I would argue that smoking pot has a more detrimental effect on the game than a falling putt.

Comment

as a TD arent you supposed to be enforcing PDGA rules? isnt it a rule that there is no drugs or alchohol usage allowed during a PDGA tournament play? if that is the case i would EXPECT you to enforce these RULES. not talking about the law, just rules of the game.
                  Team Meteor

Comment

The problem is not that the rules do not cover the situation, the problem is getting people to enforce rules they may not agree with.

I don't know Jub personally but I am guessing by his remark that he might partake or have in the past used illegal drugs. To him it may not feel like something that should be illegal or against the rules. Some people feel that foot faulting is not a big deal and it should not be enforced unless the individual made the shot then you crucify him or her. Plain and simple a rule is a rule and if you are going to play by the rules, you need to enforce them in all conditions, even if you believe in it or not.

If someone foot faults call them on it even if they miss the putt and make the second one, regardless of whether or not it hurts you or helps you. The rules are not there for you to decide when and where to apply them, they are there to keep us all on the same page. If someone was violating the rules technically once it came to their attention they would assign the penalty themselves, isn't that the whole idea behind a self governed sport

If you feel strongly about a rule and want to see it changed then take action use your educated mind and write a letter to the PDGA Board and Rules committee requesting a change. This is how the 2 meter rule came to pass!!!!!!
                    PDGA #25296
                    Stumptown #34

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                      If you feel strongly about a rule and want to see it changed then take action use your educated mind and write a letter to the PDGA Board and Rules committee requesting a change. This is how the 2 meter rule came to pass!!!!!!
                      Somebody ought to start a movement to get the falling putt rule changed so that if you fault on your putt but miss the putt, you aren't allowed to re-putt. But if you make it, you must re-putt.

Comment

Originally posted by Flash View Post
                        The problem is not that the rules do not cover the situation, the problem is getting people to enforce rules they may not agree with.

I don't know Jub personally but I am guessing by his remark that he might partake or have in the past used illegal drugs. To him it may not feel like something that should be illegal or against the rules. Some people feel that foot faulting is not a big deal and it should not be enforced unless the individual made the shot then you crucify him or her. Plain and simple a rule is a rule and if you are going to play by the rules, you need to enforce them in all conditions, even if you believe in it or not.

If someone foot faults call them on it even if they miss the putt and make the second one, regardless of whether or not it hurts you or helps you. The rules are not there for you to decide when and where to apply them, they are there to keep us all on the same page. If someone was violating the rules technically once it came to their attention they would assign the penalty themselves, isn't that the whole idea behind a self governed sport

Flash you made some good points about the rules all of the time. When you call a rules violation it's for everyone who is playing not to be just a

But if you look at the rules as a whole the no drugs/alcohol rule is the only one that does not have anything to do with the game itself. It does have an effect but no direct correlation. It's not an advantage and at it's worst a personal physical stamina issue. I like the two meter rule reference it's the perfect example of "a pick and choose" rule. sometimes Yes sometimes No. Even round to round. My point is the pdga is asking us to be policeman in a very close knit community. Why be so harsh. Use the time wasting rules and let the offender decide if it's worth it or not. You know not being ready to play when it's your turn, not responding to a request for your score. Use the rules already on the books.
                        rewindb.com

Comment

the PDGA has to include the drugs and alchohol rule, because they are pushing for this sport to be in the mainstream and a legitiment profesional sport. NO other profesional sport allows drinking and drug use during the sport, and with most sports drug use at all is a big no no.

if we want to put disc golf on TV and help it be a more mainstream sport, then we need to do our part to help encourage a clean image of the sport.
                          i am pretty much just talking about tournaments here, because that is what is going to catch the eyes of the "outsiders" that we want to be included.

if a person takes part in drinking and "smoking" at home, thats their decision, but if they are going to direct a tournament then they need to leave it at home and be a Tournament Director and enforce ALL of the PDGA rules, whether they agree with them or not.

as far as it not effecting the game at all, i disagree. if you have a group of people that have some "smokers" and some non smokers, it will effect the way the non smokers play, because they dont want to be around that stuff. they have to smell it or wait for the other guys to come out of the woods, then that throws there mental game off even by just a little.

by taking it away, it evens up the playing field. this is my opinion.
                          Team Meteor

Comment

Flash you made some good points about the rules all of the time. When you call a rules violation it's for everyone who is playing not to be just a

But if you look at the rules as a whole the no drugs/alcohol rule is the only one that does not have anything to do with the game itself. It does have an effect but no direct correlation. It's not an advantage and at it's worst a personal physical stamina issue. I like the two meter rule reference it's the perfect example of "a pick and choose" rule. sometimes Yes sometimes No. Even round to round. My point is the pdga is asking us to be policeman in a very close knit community. Why be so harsh. Use the time wasting rules and let the offender decide if it's worth it or not. You know not being ready to play when it's your turn, not responding to a request for your score. Use the rules already on the books.

Just because you don't agree with the rule doesn't mean it shouldn't be followed. It is a TD's responisbility to make sure ALL rules are followed, not just the ones that he/she believes in.

Comment

Originally posted by TYVEK View Post
                              the PDGA has to include the drugs and alchohol rule, because they are pushing for this sport to be in the mainstream and a legitiment profesional sport. NO other profesional sport allows drinking and drug use during the sport, and with most sports drug use at all is a big no no.

Until just a few years ago almost all the major sports allowed recreational drug use through their collective bargining agreements. Funny I don't remember anything that looked like they asked or cared about my imput on the subject

if we want to put disc golf on TV and help it be a more mainstream sport, then we need to do our part to help encourage a clean image of the sport.
                              i am pretty much just talking about tournaments here, because that is what is going to catch the eyes of the "outsiders" that we want to be included.

Funny this seems I can't resist a pipe dream. I know about CBS and some Oklahoma tycoon who wants to publicze DG but still.

if a person takes part in drinking and "smoking" at home, thats their decision, but if they are going to direct a tournament then they need to leave it at home and be a Tournament Director and enforce ALL of the PDGA rules, whether they agree with them or not.

Again As aTD I was not consulted about this unilaterial decision

as far as it not effecting the game at all, i disagree. if you have a group of people that have some "smokers" and some non smokers, it will effect the way the non smokers play, because they dont want to be around that stuff. they have to smell it or wait for the other guys to come out of the woods, then that throws there mental game off even by just a little.

I do agree herethats why i offerd a reasonable solution.

by taking it away, it evens up the playing field. this is my opinion.
                              I respect you opinion and they way it was presented
                              rewindb.com

Comment

Uhhhhhhhh.........actually the thread is, or was, about how responsive the PDGA has been in handling my efforts to become certified as an Official.

Bob

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X