Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Temporary PDGA Member

Hey Magilla,
    Would you please explain how the temp fee works.
    Graci
    He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
    - Anonymous

Originally posted by Flatroc View Post
    Hey Magilla,
    Would you please explain how the temp fee works.
    Graci
    The "Temp Fee" remains the same as last year...$10 for a "non" member.

I am waiting on further clairification but here is the "jist" of it.
    When I get specific answers I will post them.

What has happened is that Membership has been split into 2 seperate catagories.

Active (Dues paying) & non-Active (non-Dies paying)

Players who pay the "Temp Fee" will be considered "non-Active" members, get "some" benefits(one of my ?'s) BUT will not have Points OR Ratings tracked.
    What this does is require ALL non-members to fill out the form that USED to be voluntary, so that the PDGA can send you your stuff.

The #1 thing is that it will increase the overall size of the PDGA Membership, which is vital to attracting sponsors, etc.
    MOST organizations include "non-active" members in the total number when calculating totals.
    I just wish that they WOULD track the ratings, even if ONLY the TD's had access to the info. It would help with divisional placements, ie "Anti-Sandbagging"

Comment

pdga rap

Mike,
      Thanks for the reply.
      Some of the ?'s I hear are:
      Is the $10 a one time fee?
      What "stuff" does the PDGA send you?

I agree with you on the ratings thing.
      To me it seems like the PDGA uses their ratings as an ace in the hole.

I've been thinking about renewing, so I went to check out my rating and some of the past gigs I've attended over the years to try and get excited to go to PDGA gigs again. But as a non/temp member could not view it.
      I really don't see the reasoning for this.
      How big of a deal is it?
      So they take your $10 to try and boost their #'s to look better in the GP and are using my lifetime # to further boost.
      But a 20 year PDGA member can't check out any past putts.
      I'm STILL waiting to see or experience your ideas to get some of those old retired PDGA buds and this ol wiley mountain man to wake up, hear the chains and join.

On another note..............
      GO GIANTS
      He is your friend, your partner, your defender, your dog. You are his life, his love, his leader. He will be yours, faithful and true, to the last beat of his heart. You owe it to him to be worthy of such devotion.
      - Anonymous

Comment

Mike,
        Thanks for the reply.
        Some of the ?'s I hear are:
        Is the $10 a one time fee?
        What "stuff" does the PDGA send you?

On another note..............
        GO GIANTS

Im pretty sure that the fee is NOT a one time fee, because they are NOT an "Active" member. BUT they "may" allow fees paid to go toward membership.

The PDGA will send out a membership packet, similar to what new members get now, MINUS the Disc.
        Included is a "Voucher" that gives credit IF you want to become "Active".

More as I get answers...........

I NEED to know WHAT it is the "Old Guys" want & WHY they went away in the first place....
        THEN I might be able to figure out EXACTLY how to bring you back...

Comment

Once you renew, your old history will reappear. Then go thru page by page, copy and paste the round rating records or ratings history updates into Excel. You'll have your whole history and the ability to sort, average and rank records to your heart's content whether you ever renew again.
          Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; March 12th, 2009, 11:07 AM.

Comment

who knows for sure

I don't understand why this temp stuff info is so vague.
            Anybody know for sure how it works?
            Chuck?
            Cris?
            Todd?
            Mr. Wizard?
            I tried to find it on the PDGA website but struckout.
            - Anonymous

Comment

First page of the 2009 Tour Standards
              "Addition of PDGA Supporting Level Membership. Non-members who have never been a member
              of the PDGA and pay the $10 temp fee at a PDGA event will receive a PDGA number, PDGA
              mini and a rulebook. This level of membership does not include the calculation of points or
              assignment of a player rating."

Comment

pdga rap

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                First page of the 2009 Tour Standards
                "Addition of PDGA Supporting Level Membership. Non-members who have never been a member
                of the PDGA and pay the $10 temp fee at a PDGA event will receive a PDGA number, PDGA
                mini and a rulebook.
                Chuck,
                Thanks for the never been a member info.
                Is this the same package that "non current member renewal-ites" receive?
                Also, I understand not getting the points and rates if you're not a full member.
                But what's so wrong about being able to look up some old PDGAer's and their stats.
                Here's one for you fellers. total fiction
                One of the best disc golfers ever, just passed away.
                He had a single digit PDGA number.
                He played nothing but PDGA gigs.
                He was disc golf.
                So now he's gone and obviously doesn't renew his PDGA membership.
                So all his efforts/glory whatever are locked up in cyberspace for no one to ever see.
                Crazy scenario huh?
                Another might be a 95 year old grampa who can't even walk let alone play.
                He tells his great grand kids stories of disc golf and winning tourneys and then they ask him to show them some results.(they lived in Mo.)
                He goes to the PDGA site and can't view because he hasn't renewed in 20 years.
                Please help me to understand why you folks decided to take away these IMO
                treasures.
                - Anonymous

Comment

I don't think those who have a PDGA number and haven't renewed get anything for the $10 non-member fee, just newbies.

The issue of deceased members has come up before. I think people can request stats from the PDGA office if desired. Only stats since 2001 are online anyway and the PDGA mags have carried stats that can be looked up. Some current members don't feel their stats should be seen by other players without permission. It shouldn't be surprising that some stats are 'dark' for non-current members. All post 2000 tournament results are kept online so non-current members are still in the standings of those events. It's also not too hard to figure out what those round ratings were by looking at other players.

Comment

curious george

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                    Im pretty sure that the fee is NOT a one time fee, because they are NOT an "Active" member. BUT they "may" allow fees paid to go toward membership.

The PDGA will send out a membership packet, similar to what new members get now, MINUS the Disc.
                    Included is a "Voucher" that gives credit IF you want to become "Active".

More as I get answers...........

- Anonymous

Comment

Sorry, Yose. I figured that Chuck had answered your ?'s

I am talking to Karolyn at PDGA tomorrow. I will get a better answer.

Comment

summer wonderin'

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
                        I don't think those who have a PDGA number and haven't renewed get anything for the $10 non-member fee, just newbies.
                        Chuck, do you know for sure or just think it is this way?
                        If so do you know the reason this is done like this?
                        Some of us are wondering.
                        thanks man,
                        yose
                        - Anonymous

Comment

It's sort of like the first time PDGA member deal. When you first join the PDGA you get a disc and mini with your number on it. When you renew, you don't get those again. So, the first time you pay the $10 non-member fee this year, if you've never been a member before, you get a number and the rulebook and I believe that coupon where you can save that $10 if you join within maybe 30 or 60 days from that event. But if you pay the $10 non-member fee more than once, there's little reason to send that starter packet again.

Comment

Chuck, do you know for sure or just think it is this way?
                            If so do you know the reason this is done like this?
                            Some of us are wondering.
                            thanks man,
                            yose
                            Yose, I know this sounds not good to you but there is also a silver lining in this. Those individual who have been signing up for events and always playing in MA2 will now have points and ratings tracked but not viewable, in other words they will have a history with the PDGA and a TD can get information about the individual to see if they are playing in the right or wrong division. This kind of activity will bloat the database a little bit but I think the PDGA has the room.
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

It's not much of a secret, but if a TD reports your PDGA number on the event report, your ratings are calculated, updated and saved. Your current membership status determines whether you can see them or not. TDs do get the ratings of non-current members on their printout before events to help prevent sandbagging.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X