X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Falling Putt

I am trying to understand the true definition of a falling putt.The PDGA rule seems to be too vague as it says nothing about the state of the disc that you have thrown.It only states that you have to maintain balance.I think it is commonly accepted that if you are within 30ft, you must not make contact with any point in front of the back of your marker until the disc comes to rest, but again, the PDGA rule does not say anything about the state of the disc thrown.Can someone please clarify or point me to PDGA discussion that clearly defines a falling putt?

Thanks!

803.04.C
    C. Any throw from within 10 meters or less, as measured from the rear of the marker disc
    to the base of the hole, is considered a putt. A follow-through after a putt that causes the
    thrower to make any supporting point contact closer to the hole than the rear edge of the
    marker disc constitutes a falling putt and is considered a stance violation . The player must demonstrate full
    control of balance before advancing toward the hole.

You won't find anything in the PDGA rules about a disc coming to rest for a falling putt. The falling putt rule is about the person putting, not the disc. If you fail to maintain balance after releasing the disc, follow through, etc., it is a falling putt. No matter if the disc is at rest or not.

Comment

Check this out on the PDGA site:
      http://www.pdga.com/demonstrating-balance-putting

Comment

Good video

That's a good video! Takes most any questions out of the rule

Comment

I now want to learn the Crane Putt. I never though of that, and it seems like it could offer actual advantage.

Comment

I once heard that a damn good open player called a falling putt on himself when he knew his putt wasn't going in. His buddy who was in his group confirmed it. He got a second attempt at the putt which he made.

Is the rule still written that if a player is called for a falling putt he gets a second chance at it? If you see someone in your group do this, I think it needs to be called regardless if he makes it or not. However, the person should not be rewarded with a second attempt at the putt if he misses

Common sense says don't call the falling putt on someone if he misses the putt

The rule needs changed to not allow a re-putt if the player had a falling putt and missed.

Comment

Correct me if I am wrong, but I think they changed the rule to say it had to be two people neither of which can be the thrower.
              Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
              Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

The latest edition of the rulebook (Jan. 2013) says that "The thrower cannot call or second a stance violation". Another change in the new edition is that no second is needed when a call is made that does not result in a penalty stroke. I guess that means that ones "buddy" could call a falling putt and the player could get a re-throw for the first violation during the round, even for a missed putt. Additionally, there is no longer a three second window to make a call. Calls must be made promptly.

Comment

Originally posted by ericedge View Post
                  The latest edition of the rulebook (Jan. 2013) says that "The thrower cannot call or second a stance violation". Another change in the new edition is that no second is needed when a call is made that does not result in a penalty stroke. I guess that means that ones "buddy" could call a falling putt and the player could get a re-throw for the first violation during the round, even for a missed putt. Additionally, there is no longer a three second window to make a call. Calls must be made promptly.
                  Looks like the rules were cleaned up to prevent a potentially sketchy situation, but in doing so another sketchy situation was created: Player A makes a long putt. Player B waits to see if it goes in (it does) and then calls a falling putt. Since it's the first time that round there is no penalty and player A has to putt again. This could be done once per round.

Comment

As I see it the big problem with the falling putt call is the subjectivity of it. For a lot of players I think their desire to make the call is more philosophically based than factually based. My opinion is that it's very difficult to see the moment a person releases the disc and their foot position at the same time. I've had many a conversation with players who claim to see people leave the playing surface behind their lie before the disc is released. I say that I rarely if ever see that.

Here's an example... I was at the 2013 Lilac City Open taking pictures during the finals. I was taking this picture of Brian Cook hitting a long (50'?) falling putt when a very highly rated player in the group muttered to someone else in the group (and me) that the putt was obviously a blatant foot fault. They didn't actually call it, just commented about it. I said I didn't see it since I was looking through the lens of my camera. I thought it was interesting that when I got home and looked at the picture it's clear to me that it's obviously not a foot fault. My point is that it's really hard to see stance violations on falling putts and I believe it's actually hard to putt effectively if you let go of the disc after your foot leaves the ground. I've taken a lot of pictures of players making falling putts and I can't think of one where I thought "Wow, that's a stance violation!".

Comment

WOW! That is such a great picture and totally backs up your point Eric. I can see why players who would see that live would be inclined to call a stance violation but your picture sure backs up the point that you make. I will certainly have to think twice if this situation comes up for me.

Comment

Originally posted by ScottW View Post
                        WOW! That is such a great picture and totally backs up your point Eric. I can see why players who would see that live would be inclined to call a stance violation but your picture sure backs up the point that you make. I will certainly have to think twice if this situation comes up for me.
                        Agreed! Thanks Eric for a great photo and post.

Comment

Originally posted by ericedge View Post
                          As I see it the big problem with the falling putt call is the subjectivity of it. For a lot of players I think their desire to make the call is more philosophically based than factually based. My opinion is that it's very difficult to see the moment a person releases the disc and their foot position at the same time. I've had many a conversation with players who claim to see people leave the playing surface behind their lie before the disc is released. I say that I rarely if ever see that.

Here's an example... I was at the 2013 Lilac City Open taking pictures during the finals. I was taking this picture of Brian Cook hitting a long (50'?) falling putt when a very highly rated player in the group muttered to someone else in the group (and me) that the putt was obviously a blatant foot fault. They didn't actually call it, just commented about it. I said I didn't see it since I was looking through the lens of my camera. I thought it was interesting that when I got home and looked at the picture it's clear to me that it's obviously not a foot fault. My point is that it's really hard to see stance violations on falling putts and I believe it's actually hard to putt effectively if you let go of the disc after your foot leaves the ground. I've taken a lot of pictures of players making falling putts and I can't think of one where I thought "Wow, that's a stance violation!".
                          If it was from 50', then it is technically not a putt, so no "falling putt" foul. From that pic it looks like he has one foot on the ground, so if it was inside the circle, it would be a foul; outside the circle, no foul.

Comment

Originally posted by Ranger Rick View Post
                            If it was from 50', then it is technically not a putt, so no "falling putt" foul. From that pic it looks like he has one foot on the ground, so if it was inside the circle, it would be a foul; outside the circle, no foul.
                            I'm not sure what "technically" constitutes a putt. Brian's throw sure looked like a putt to me. My point is that a lot of players believe they are seeing stance violations on falling putts outside the 10m circle. Photographic evidence shows that rarely, if ever, happens IMO.

Comment

The biggest problem that I have with falling putts is not the stance itself but rather the actual distance. I am getting a little off topic here but the biggest problem that I see during tournament play is a player who questions if he is outside 10m from the basket and just asks for a group consensus rather than walking it off to get a better idea of the actual distance. I know everyone steps with a different pace length but it does get you a better idea then just asking. My thought is if it's close enough to ask then you should pace it off. Anyone else have thoughts on this aspect of the falling putt?

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X