Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I bet most of their essays will say "in God we trust"...

Comment

• Originally posted by snap7times View Post
      I bet most of their essays will say "in God we trust"...
      a few will prob. have

"In Discatarianism We Trust"
      "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

• I just read this thread for the first time. My thoughts on the matter...

First off, I applaud Mike for allowing discussion on the issue. I think it's great to have a State Rep that communicates with the players of the state, and actively seeks their opinions on things. Mike would be totally in his right to just give the spot away, or use it himself, but he chose not to. To have a system that we use is a great step forward, even if you don't agree with the system completely. If I were in Mike's position, I would have just given the spot to Coury Coates and not asked anyone's opinions.

That said, Mike's system may not be well liked by everyone. Knowing Mike as I do, I don't see him budging on his decisions for this year. However, he has actively invited everyone to a meeting at the GNO this year to discuss how to give the spot away next year. All of your concerns, issues, etc with how Mike is doing it this year should be brought to that meeting. Again, he doesn't have to do this, but the fact that he is doing so is showing some good leadership qualities, in my opinion.

Go to the meeting, state your views, debate, argue, try to reach a consensus, be happy you were included.
        Last edited by gwillim; March 20th, 2009, 01:08 PM. Reason: typo

Comment

• Originally posted by gwillim View Post
          I just read this thread for the first time. My thoughts on the matter...

First off, I applaud Mike for allowing discussion on the issue. I think it's great to have a State Rep that communicates with the players of the state, and actively seeks their opinions on things. Mike would be totally in his right to just give the spot away, or use it himself, but he chose not to. To have a system that we use is a great step forward, even if you don't agree with the system completely. If I were in Mike's position, I would have just given the spot to Coury Coates and not asked anyone's opinions.

That said, Mike's system may not be well liked by everyone. Knowing Mike as I do, I don't see him budging on his decisions for this year. However, he has actively invited everyone to a meeting at the GNO this year to discuss how to give the spot away next year. All of your concerns, issues, etc with how Mike is doing it this year should be brought to that meeting. Again, he doesn't have to do this, but the fact that he is doing so is showing some good leadership qualities, in my opinion.

Go to the meeting, state your views, debate, argue, try to reach a consensus, be happy you were included.

Comment

• huh?? what you say gwillim? I couldn't read your lips, that brown stuff hanging off your nose blocking your lips... let me remove that brown stuff.... alright, better... say that again please?

Comment

• Not a chance. Mike and I disagree on a lot of things, and we have done so for longer than you've probably known either one of us. I never have and never will brown nose to Mike, I have no need to. I'm just pointing out that he's doing something good, and it ought to be mentioned. I'm not looking for his approval or anything and I would like that to be clear.

Oh, and I can still throw further than he can, at least theoretically.

Comment

• was just being "dry Deaf humor" on a friday afternoon, no response expected... oh yeah, fricking got poison oak for the first time ever! I'm immune to the stuff but apparently I rolled in it too much and it got to me... SOB...

Comment

• Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                  I dig it!

If you guys think paying twenty dollars is bad for a chance at getting in, you should really investigate what kind of financial and time commitment it takes to get in. The USDGC is my dream event, and I've been denied it three times now. I've played in several qualifiers (costing several thousand dollars in entry fees, travel expenses...) during that time and to no avail. I'll gladly pay twenty dollars and play in three events I was going to play in anyway for a chance to qualify.
                  Thats because you would not listen to me and go play the Full Throttle challenge @ Solitude Mountain qualifier in August, you would have qualified the last two years as most of the top 15 already qualified!!!

Think about it, go play in the qualifiers that are near the end of the road for the USDGC and your changes go up exorbitantly!

Here are the 2009 Qualifying requirements form the USDGC website.
                  http://www.usdgc.com/files09/09_USDGC_Qualifying.pdf
                  PDGA #25296
                  Stumptown #34

Comment

• Originally posted by gwillim View Post
                    Oh, and I can still throw further than he can, at least theoretically.
                    AND in your DREAMS...

But then WE can find out at the Oregon State Overalls this year cant we..

Comment

• Originally posted by Magilla View Post
                      AND in your DREAMS...

But then WE can find out at the Oregon State Overalls this year cant we..

I'm retired.

Comment

• This is a battle I would pay to see. I have seen both throw. It would be a good battle.

Of course, I do remember the last distance comp. I saw Magilla at. A bunch of us threw in the 350-400 foot range. And then Mike stepped up and easily passed 500 making something of a mockery of the "competition". And it was winter. And cold.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

• DON'T FORGET!! You guys still have to get through the likes of Dion, Nate, Tyler, Skellenger, James Moore and well.... ME @!!! (Big D 2008- 203 Meters 666 Feet. MARK OF THE BEAST!!!)

I'm hoping to get more fundraising together but there is a $50 bounty on my standing Oregon record of 525ft. Also, There will be a $100 for any 600+ foot shot in the finals.

Naysayers= just don't do it These kids can throw these days. Damn fandangle technology. I remember throwing Scorpions 350ft and feeling like a GOD!!!

360's with Eco Excaliburs are just like cheating. Think about it.
                          Disc Golf Accessories

Comment

• To get back on the topic at hand though. I feel this is THE BEST WAY to handle the USDGC spot. If a potential players doesn't have their stuff together for 3 local tournaments how could they handle a cross country Major. The $20 entry is obscenely low IMO and was just a nice round number. The idea of making an event was passed around with something like a $40-$50 entry. I would have paid $40 to get in on the current USDGC pool. But keeping the cost low at $20 should draw even those players who feel they have no shot but wish to support. I think there will be more than 50 players who will be in on this pool. Which amounts to $1000 for the winner to travel on. Plus all other fundraising efforts that are in the works.

We should do the same thing for the World Championships as well for an AM and a Pro. They are, after all, together again this year in KC.

Nice work Magilla,

Oh, BTW, go check out www.maceman.com and read up on Burnt Out Disc Golf promoters. It is very interesting and informative. Some of you should have a lot to think about after reading his statement. Thanks Just my 2 cents...
                            Disc Golf Accessories

Comment

• Originally posted by purediscgolf View Post
                              To get back on the topic at hand though. I feel this is THE BEST WAY to handle the USDGC spot. If a potential players doesn't have their stuff together for 3 local tournaments how could they handle a cross country Major. The $20 entry is obscenely low IMO and was just a nice round number. The idea of making an event was passed around with something like a $40-$50 entry. I would have paid $40 to get in on the current USDGC pool. But keeping the cost low at $20 should draw even those players who feel they have no shot but wish to support. I think there will be more than 50 players who will be in on this pool. Which amounts to $1000 for the winner to travel on. Plus all other fundraising efforts that are in the works.

We should do the same thing for the World Championships as well for an AM and a Pro. They are, after all, together again this year in KC.

Nice work Magilla,

Oh, BTW, go check out www.maceman.com and read up on Burnt Out Disc Golf promoters. It is very interesting and informative. Some of you should have a lot to think about after reading his statement. Thanks Just my 2 cents...

Been there...http://http://nwdiscgolfnews.com/for...read.php?t=894
                              Golf appeals to the idiot in us and the child. Just how childlike golf players become is proven by their frequent inability to count past five. - John Updike

Comment

• Originally posted by smobro View Post
                                Umm…I’m really interested who you think those five players are. In my book there is two. But hey, maybe in your book those same players have a chance at becoming President as well

I can't resist wondering who your 2 are? I certainly hope they both have won at least a couple of PDGA A tier or NT events? You can't include Avery and Dave because they are qualified already. So, who? I am dying to know? Nate for sure, Moore, Miller (if he would play the qualifier), Phillips, Pinkal, Christiansen, etc. let's see am I forgetting at least a couple others? hmmmmmmm.......

Sorry about the sarcasm, but we have some very sick talent at the local pro level in Oregon. Could any of them place well in the USDGC? I believe they can. There is very little that separates these guys from the elite Pro's. Maybe an untimely injury, or a full time job, or living in a climate that doesn't necessary allow for as frequent of play, a tweak or two in their game and boom they are at the top.

I have been helped out in my game by many of them and they are always willing to give me a few tips on how to get better. That is really pretty incredible.

I just want to give credit where it is due.
                                If you can't count Dave and Avery, than my list drops to zero. Winning the USDGC is ridiculousy hard to do. In your initial post, you said there were 5 Oregonians capable of winning the title, I disagree. Nate has the best chance of placing high. Than perhaps Skellinger, Coates, Christiansen and myself. I'm not knocking the talent pool in Oregon, but I think you are underestiimating the levity of actually winning the USDGC.

But I guess we'll see how well we can all do this year!
                                Team DISCRAFT
                                NW Sign Up
                                Gorilla Boy
                                Paragon Disc Golf
                                Odwalla

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X