X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
    Choosing by competition seemed to be the best answer.
    If this sentence were amended to read, "Choosing by competition seemed to be the best way to accomplish the goals I have set," then yes, I would agree.

I think my difference from you is not a matter of how to accomplish the goals, rather, it is a difference of what the goal should be.

We can agree to disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that what you think the best mechanism is depends on what you're trying to achieve.
    Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
      If this sentence were amended to read, "Choosing by competition seemed to be the best way to accomplish the goals I have set," then yes, I would agree.

I think my difference from you is not a matter of how to accomplish the goals, rather, it is a difference of what the goal should be.

We can agree to disagree on this. I just wanted to point out that what you think the best mechanism is depends on what you're trying to achieve.

Sorry BUT its obvious to me that WE look at this event in totally different ways.

To me USDGC is the "Holy Grail" FOR Open Players and you have to EARN your way in, BY PLAY.
      IMO, TD's of Qualifiers shouldnt get spots either, WHAT makes them so special from ALL the other TD's that run events all year?
      Sure it allows them to "experience" the event BUT there are MANY deserving players out there.

YES, In the end it is how I want it done. Really doesnt matter WHAT method I choose...SOMEONE will complain and come up with a "better idea".
      Thats just the way it is. Some of us "DO" others just "Watch" and complain after the fact.
      If its NOT done by Comp. then it would just be some abitrary decision made by the current coordinator (Me) WHICH I HAVE DONE BEFORE.

That leads to even more issues.....

Why dont you go out and talk to a few of the Pros that have been there and see what they think.....YOU might get a better understanding.

Comment

One of the goals of the USDGC is to raise the bar for the quality of professional events in the sport. What better way than to have the TDs of the other highest level events actually participate in the USDGC so they can go back and use those ideas to improve their events?

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
          One of the goals of the USDGC is to raise the bar for the quality of professional events in the sport. What better way than to have the TDs of the other highest level events actually participate in the USDGC so they can go back and use those ideas to improve their events?

Thanks Chuck. THAT makes sense.

Comment

However, it would make more sense to have TDs for the Majors and NTs play the USDGC the year before their event so it might make a difference in the quality of their upcoming event. In the case of ongoing TDs like Ginnelly at the Memorial, perhaps a different one of his assistants should get the nod each year so playing the USDGC really is a future TD learning experience since few of them are real contenders.

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
              Oregon State Rep. Qualification proceedure for USDGC

The State Rep will be determined using "Cumulative Score" taken from the 1st 3 events in the "Oregon Series" NOT including FINALS.

These events are:

Great Northwest Open - April 25 & 26 - Whistlers Bend
              Beaver State Fling - May 22, 23 & 24 - Milo McGiver State Park
              Mid-Summers Glide - June 20 & 21 - HooDoo SKi Area

$20 per player
              ALL proceeds going toward the entry fee and expenses for the trip.
              ALL Players MUST be registered WITH ME prior to the start of the 2nd round at the GNW, that gives you until Sunday Morning.

IF we do not get enough players to cover the entry fee, I will cover the remaining myself.

CRITERIA:

1) Player MUST be registered with the PDGA in OREGON
              2) Player MUST play in the MPO, MPM, MPG or FPO Division during these events
              3) NO player is eligible for the "Rep" spot 2 years in a row
              4) You are NOT eligible IF you have qualified at a previous event (current year)
              IF you are a paid participant AND qualify (Masters Cup or BSF), you are NO LONGER eligible AND your money will be refunded to you at your request.

In the case of a tie....this will be used to break it.

1) Player who HAS NEVER been to USDGC has priority
              2) Avg Rating of all rounds during qualifying
              3) Lowest PDGA #

I will keep DETAILED records of ALL participants and post "Standings" after each event.

There ARE fundraising opportunities that I am looking into, BUT at this point ONLY the Entry Fee is assured.

There you have it.....Let the speculation END here....

Bump

Comment

I dig it!

If you guys think paying twenty dollars is bad for a chance at getting in, you should really investigate what kind of financial and time commitment it takes to get in. The USDGC is my dream event, and I've been denied it three times now. I've played in several qualifiers (costing several thousand dollars in entry fees, travel expenses...) during that time and to no avail. I'll gladly pay twenty dollars and play in three events I was going to play in anyway for a chance to qualify.

Thanks Mike for organizing the structure and allowing an equal opportunity for us all. God knows that if I were in your shoes I'd take the spot myself with no regrets, so once again I'll say thanks. Which reminds me, I'll start campaigning for State Coordinator soon...

I also like the ideas that Phillips and Wilson interjected (partly cause I fill that criteria and have no problems writing essays). But I strongly agree that USDGC is about ability, and that our strongest players (who are not already qualified) should go.

Right now, Oregon has at least 5 players that could win the USDGC this year and any one of them could have a bad qualifier that would keep them out.
                Umm…I’m really interested who you think those five players are. In my book there is two. But hey, maybe in your book those same players have a chance at becoming President as well

All in all this is quite fair and reasonable. I’m in, and you bet I’ll be bringing my A game Moore!
                Team DISCRAFT
                NW Sign Up
                Gorilla Boy
                Paragon Disc Golf
                Odwalla

Comment

Originally posted by RonTheWhip View Post
                  All in all this is quite fair and reasonable. Iím in, and you bet Iíll be bringing my A game Moore!
                  What if Moore didn't get into the GNO? What if Dion doesn't get into the Fling? Miss one of three events and you're out. Just sayin'!

Bob

Comment

I will be donating my $20 to provide a little financial help to whoever it is that eventually wins the rep spot.

Comment

• Dion is right. just pay $20 for having the chance to even go to USDGC is awsome and im glad that we are playing for it. its probly the best way to do it insted of just mike just chooseing someone. now sence all the Pros have a shot of making there dreams come true of playing the best tournment in the world. i support it. and with everyone making a big deal about just let the your game do the talking like I say MAY THE BESTWin!

James Moore

Comment

• UmmÖIím really interested who you think those five players are. In my book there is two. But hey, maybe in your book those same players have a chance at becoming President as well

I can't resist wondering who your 2 are? I certainly hope they both have won at least a couple of PDGA A tier or NT events? You can't include Avery and Dave because they are qualified already. So, who? I am dying to know? Nate for sure, Moore, Miller (if he would play the qualifier), Phillips, Pinkal, Christiansen, etc. let's see am I forgetting at least a couple others? hmmmmmmm.......

Sorry about the sarcasm, but we have some very sick talent at the local pro level in Oregon. Could any of them place well in the USDGC? I believe they can. There is very little that separates these guys from the elite Pro's. Maybe an untimely injury, or a full time job, or living in a climate that doesn't necessary allow for as frequent of play, a tweak or two in their game and boom they are at the top.

I have been helped out in my game by many of them and they are always willing to give me a few tips on how to get better. That is really pretty incredible.

I just want to give credit where it is due.
                        Training to be a bagger

Comment

• Originally posted by james_the_kid View Post
                          Dion is right. just pay $20 for having the chance to even go to USDGC is awsome and im glad that we are playing for it. its probly the best way to do it insted of just mike just chooseing someone. now sence all the Pros have a shot of making there dreams come true of playing the best tournment in the world. i support it. and with everyone making a big deal about just let the your game do the talking like I say MAY THE BESTWin!

James Moore

James,

I totally agree with the "Let the best man win." at the USDGC qualifying events, however, the point many people have been trying to make here is that the state representative slot is one of the only means to get there WITHOUT playing for it.

How happy are you going to be if you cannot get signed up for one of the three "Oregon Qualifer" events and as result you have NO HOPE of qualifying... even if you paid your $20 to get into the hunt? My guess is you would be pretty pissed.

Top tier players have MANY chances to qualify, whereas above average (but still excellent ambassadors for Oregon) players have NO CHANCE with this method.

Jeff

PS: I'm planning on going to Worlds this year, so don't think my objections to this method are an attempt to get there myself. Its not even an option.
                          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

• maybe next year????

Take the whichever set of 7 tournaments, and have say 5 of them needed to qualify then take the Top 5 Overall Spots.

Then have a 1 round 27 hole playoff at "The Bend"

Winner takes the spot?

Seems fair to me???

Not like i have shot at this........

"In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

• GNO registration may be out of the way. But anyone who is at GNO, pays the $20 for the shot at the spot, is definitely not gonna be on the snooze button when the time comes to register for the other 2 tournaments. If they do, then holy toledo, that is some snooze button... I personally will put up $20 to the winner to pay for their travels... That's one less dead president that our rep can worry about and one more birdie they gonna bring home!

Comment

• oh yea and they have to turn in their essays at the 1st Event
                                "In Discatarianism We Trust"

:cheers:

:cool:sigpic

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X