Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I'm in.

See you at the GNWO

Comment

Just out of curiosity, how many people typically fly out to try for one of the five remaining spots during Monday Qualifying?

I wonder what the highest finish for a Monday Qualifier is?

I wonder what's the highest finish for a player who was appointed by a state rep?

Comment

im in see you at GNWO
        May the best man win the spot
        bring the A game

Comment

Originally posted by Magilla View Post
          Oregon State Rep. Qualification proceedure for USDGC

The State Rep will be determined using "Cumulative Score" taken from the 1st 3 events in the "Oregon Series" NOT including FINALS.

These events are:

Great Northwest Open - April 25 & 26 - Whistlers Bend
          Beaver State Fling - May 22, 23 & 24 - Milo McIver State Park
          Mid-Summers Glide - June 20 & 21 - HooDoo SKi Area

$20 per player
          ALL proceeds going toward the entry fee and expenses for the trip.
          ALL Players MUST be registered WITH ME prior to the start of the 2nd round at the GNW, that gives you until Sunday Morning.

IF we do not get enough players to cover the entry fee, I will cover the remaining myself.

CRITERIA:

1) Player MUST be registered with the PDGA in OREGON
          2) Player MUST play in the MPO, MPM, MPG or FPO Division during these events
          3) NO player is eligible for the "Rep" spot 2 years in a row
          4) You are NOT eligible IF you have qualified at a previous event (current year)
          IF you are a paid participant AND qualify (Masters Cup or BSF), you are NO LONGER eligible AND your money will be refunded to you at your request.

In the case of a tie....this will be used to break it.

1) Player who HAS NEVER been to USDGC has priority
          2) Avg Rating of all rounds during qualifying
          3) Lowest PDGA #

I will keep DETAILED records of ALL participants and post "Standings" after each event.

There ARE fundraising opportunities that I am looking into, BUT at this point ONLY the Entry Fee is assured.

There you have it.....Let the speculation END here....

Magilla,

While I definitely commend the effort you're putting into this endeavor, I do have a problem with a few aspects of this.

1) I don't think charging people $20 just to be signed up for the possibility of going is very cool at all. If we want to raise money to help send our rep to USDGC that's a fine idea, but REQUIRING people to PAY for the chance is not cool at all. Every time I turn around I'm getting hit with a new "fee" for something and I'm getting tired of it. I was more than happy to help raise money for Tim/Tyler last year, and I'd do it again this year, BUT I don't like being told I HAVE to put money in. Your offer to cover the balance is awesome, but I still don't like the sign-up "fee".

2) I don't think someone who as been given a slot before, should EVER be given that slot again. There a ton of deserving golfers in this state. I would think we would be keen to give that experience to as many different people as possible. Bottom line... if someone wants to go to the USDGC twice. They can earn that second slot. Period.

Again, I'm not trying to harp on you directly, just stating an opinion.

Jeff
          "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
            Magilla,

While I definitely commend the effort you're putting into this endeavor, I do have a problem with a few aspects of this.

1) I don't think charging people $20 just to be signed up for the possibility of going is very cool at all. If we want to raise money to help send our rep to USDGC that's a fine idea, but REQUIRING people to PAY for the chance is not cool at all. Every time I turn around I'm getting hit with a new "fee" for something and I'm getting tired of it. I was more than happy to help raise money for Tim/Tyler last year, and I'd do it again this year, BUT I don't like being told I HAVE to put money in. Your offer to cover the balance is awesome, but I still don't like the sign-up "fee".

2) I don't think someone who as been given a slot before, should EVER be given that slot again. There a ton of deserving golfers in this state. I would think we would be keen to give that experience to as many different people as possible. Bottom line... if someone wants to go to the USDGC twice. They can earn that second slot. Period.

Again, I'm not trying to harp on you directly, just stating an opinion.

Jeff
            I hear ya....
            BUT $20 for the chance to Qualify isnt that excessive AND that $ goes toward the entry, etc.

This way, at least, the Rep is assured having the entry paid.

Interesting theory on NOT getting the spot twice, EVER.
            Im am NOT oppossed to this, BUT seeing how I have already put out the criteria for THIS year, we will stick to that.

I am OPEN to "tweeking" the proceedure NEXT year.
            I DO plan on having an OPEN meeting at GNW for ANYONE interested.

Comment

I hear ya....
              BUT $20 for the chance to Qualify isnt that excessive AND that $ goes toward the entry, etc.

This way, at least, the Rep is assured having the entry paid.
              Why is it the Rep's responsibility to pay for the entry?

Comment

It's not. Its an act of kindness. Which is always a cool thing. Many prospects would have trouble raising the kind of money this trip would take, Magilla's just making sure whoever does win the slot will be able to USE it.

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                Why is it the Rep's responsibility to pay for the entry?
                "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

It's not. Its an act of kindness. Which is always a cool thing. Many prospects would have trouble raising the kind of money this trip would take, Magilla's just making sure whoever does win the slot will be able to USE it.
                  Which is cool. I'm all for kindness. But I agree with you that it's kind of bogus to have to pay in $20.00 just to have a shot.

Comment

Originally posted by Scott View Post
                    Which is cool. I'm all for kindness. But I agree with you that it's kind of bogus to have to pay in $20.00 just to have a shot.

OK, how about $6.66 per event, which is all it amounts too.

Seriously...is it REALLY that big of a deal?

SOME wanted me to hold a SEPERATE event with an entry fee of $30 - $50 to determine the spot. Would that have been prefered?

Like I said....THIS YEAR, It is what it is. I am open to changes for next year.

In the past, in Oregon, its just been handed out or not. 2yrs ago we didnt even send a Rep.

Maybe everybody can write an ESSAY on WHY they should get to attend USDGC. Its been done before

Comment

Maybe everybody can write an ESSAY on WHY they should get to attend USDGC. Its been done before
                      Even though I think you're being facetious, I think this is an idea with some merit.

I am in the "citizenship over performance" camp on this issue, so I think that encouraging people to write about their work party experience, local scene leadership and general all-around good-guy qualities is a perfect way to select a candidate.

But what do I know?
                      Ruining everyone else's fun since 1998.

Comment

Originally posted by proto something or other View Post
                        Even though I think you're being facetious, I think this is an idea with some merit.

I am in the "citizenship over performance" camp on this issue, so I think that encouraging people to write about their work party experience, local scene leadership and general all-around good-guy qualities is a perfect way to select a candidate.

But what do I know?
                        In this case I was being somewhat facetious

BUT, It was done that way a few times in Cali..........

The issue became...WHY was 1 person better than the other.
                        Bad feelings about NOT being "picked", etc.

Choosing by competition seemed to be the best answer.

Comment

Unless you're a woman.

Comment

In this case I was being somewhat facetious

That is what qualifying is for!
                            PDGA #25296
                            Stumptown #34

Comment

Unless you're a woman.
                              I already went there with Rebecca......

There is a Womens USDGC & an AMS USDGC.

You nor I are able to qualify for those....Women CAN qualify for USDGC.

Comment

I would be down to helping fundraise to support our rep... Everyone throws in 5-10 bucks to cover travel fees etc... so we can send the best person regardless of funds.. *didnt read the whole thread but just spitting this out anyways*

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X