X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Tournament Officials

I was perusing my new rules book and now have a question for you all.

In the Competition Manual paragraph 1.11 "Officials" it says a couple of things.

Sub para A says: "to be ELIGIBLE to serve as an official..."

Sub para D says: "Non-playing certified officials appointed by the tournament director may..." and also "If an appointed official competes in the tournament..."

All of the above statements are followed by things officials do.

The question is this: Is an official required to be appointed by the tournament director in order to make official rulings during a tournament?

This section doesn't ever really come out and say it's required, although it sounds like that's what it's trying to say. Prior to reading this, I always thought a certified official could make rulings during a tournament just by virtue of being there and being certified by the PDGA.

The RC indicated the only officials that should be making calls at events were ones designated by the TD in addition to registered players who were officials. It doesn't seem appropriate to have spectators who happen to be officials calling out foot faults from the gallery.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Kennedy View Post
      The RC indicated the only officials that should be making calls at events were ones designated by the TD in addition to registered players who were officials. It doesn't seem appropriate to have spectators who happen to be officials calling out foot faults from the gallery.
      But they could find the groups official and point it out to them. Just like on TV. Some twit posts it and off it goes.
      rewindb.com

Comment

Nope. PDGA doesn't allow recorded media evidence for rules calls yet. So reporting infractions by spectator-officials, especially time based calls like foot faults, would similarly not be allowed. It's consistent with the idea that this is a self officiated sport.

Comment

If you are a certified official and playing in the tournament can you make a ruling outside your group but with-in your division? I thought I read that you are only able to make rulings on people who were not in your division. And another question, does an official have to be seconded within his/her group.

Comment

Certified officials that are playing may make rulings outside their group only for players in other divisions. Within their group they are "players" and not officials and cannot singularly make calls as an "official." However, players such as the TD or his/her designated tournament officials can make singular rulings as "officials." Although it would be good form for the TD to defer to another tournament official not in their playing division when needed.
            Last edited by Chuck Kennedy; March 18th, 2013, 09:58 AM.

Comment

I see a foot fault playing or not. I say to someone in the group ... Hey, watch his feet. A little later It happens again but group (not me) calls and seconds it. Done deal.

I always thought TD's should identify not just non playing but all officials. Out of this group 3 officials (not the TD) or in the division in question come up with the offical ruling.
              rewindb.com

Comment

Just a note on foot faults starting this year, the initial foot fault call on a player can be made by any player in the group except the thrower (801.01E). No second required. If a player already has a foot fault warning, then a subsequent foot fault requires an initial call and a second by two players in the group other than the thrower. An official not playing in the group can make either the initial warning call or the second fault penalty call without a second. There's no 3 second time limit on making the call any more, it just has to be done in a timely manner.

Comment

So now there is no time limit but it takes three to witness it.
                  rewindb.com

Comment

How do you get three? It's now only one player in the group to call a foot fault warning. Doesn't matter if the thrower saw it or agrees.

Comment

How do you get three? It's now only one player in the group to call a foot fault warning. Doesn't matter if the thrower saw it or agrees.
                      But if the thrower has already received a warning, it takes one to make the call and two additional players to second it. Correct?

Comment

Just one second required. The main changes in the rule this year are: (1) the thrower cannot initiate nor second a foot fault call, and (2) it only takes one player in the group to call a foot fault warning.

Comment

Just a note on foot faults starting this year, the initial foot fault call on a player can be made by any player in the group except the thrower (801.01E). No second required. If a player already has a foot fault warning, then a subsequent foot fault requires an initial call and a second by two players in the group other than the thrower. An official not playing in the group can make either the initial warning call or the second fault penalty call without a second. There's no 3 second time limit on making the call any more, it just has to be done in a timely manner.
                          LOL I see where the confusion could be in this rule. Let's re-write it like this:

...then a subsequent foot fault requires [an initial call and a second] by [two players in the group and neither can be the thrower]
                          Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
                          Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Speculation
                            Some player has a putt to win but misses it. Intentionally foot faults, calls it on himself/herself, it's seconded, putts again and makes it for the win.
                            rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                              Speculation
                              Some player has a putt to win but misses it. Intentionally foot faults, calls it on himself/herself, it's seconded, putts again and makes it for the win.
                              That can't happen under the new rule. Thrower cannot call the fault himself.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X