X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Did this rule change?

While reading my new rule book that came in the mail I noticed this regarding missing a mandatory.

"If no Drop Zone has been designated, the player shall play from the previous lie."

Has this always been the case? I seem to remember in the past that if no drop zone was designated then you created a drop zone next to the mandatory object (correct side of course) and played from there. Did this rule change? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
    Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
    Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Originally posted by EnigmaSquad View Post
    While reading my new rule book that came in the mail I noticed this regarding missing a mandatory.

"If no Drop Zone has been designated, the player shall play from the previous lie."

Has this always been the case? I seem to remember in the past that if no drop zone was designated then you created a drop zone next to the mandatory object (correct side of course) and played from there. Did this rule change? Or am I remembering incorrectly?
    As far as I know, this rule has been in place for some time. People tend to assume the spot next to the mando is the drop zone, but that is not necessarily the case.

Comment

Lol Actually I should have just kept reading. In the back of the book there is a summary of Changes section and it specifically mentions that there is no longer a default drop zone.
      Board Member of the West Sound Disc Golf Association
      Like us on Facebook! Facebook.com/WSDGA

Comment

Sounds like the Event Director will need to ensure the Mando drop zone gets marked.

I'm curious to why the rule changed. The old "If no drop zone" rule seemed to be pretty straight forward and fair to establish a player's lie.

Comment

It was changed to get some consistency in how a mando gets played if it does not have a marked drop zone. I think the RC felt it was a little sloppy pacing off a spot from the mando that is if players read where the default drop zone was approximately located under the previous rules.

The more important rule change is that you haven't passed the mando until your lie is past the good side of the mando line. In the old rules, you had officially passed it in flight in the event you hit a tree on the other side of the line and bounced back.

Comment

So, if you miss the mando but ricochet back to being short of the mando, you have to play it where it lies, or do you have the option of calling it a missed mando (in the event it's buried)?
            What is the ruling if you fly past the mando (good side), hit a tree beyond the mando and roll backward and around the mando? Do you have to make the mando a second time?

One other thing-- if you fly over the top of a mando pole, does the entire disc need to be on the good side, or just any part?
            Last edited by Toby Puttzinski; February 18th, 2013, 01:50 PM.
            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

Play it where it lies. You can always call an Optional Rethrow if you can't play from the lie which would essentially be the same as missing the mando if the tee was the drop zone.

Yes.

Poor mando object if you can fly over it. But I would say the group needs to agree the full disc diameter completely passed on the good side of the mando to have passed it.

Note: I've updated the Rules School article on Mandos based on 2013 revisions. It should be posted sometime later this week on PDGA.com.

Comment

Here's the Rules School update for the 2013 version of the Mando rules. There are some interesting changes in a few interpretations: http://www.pdga.com/rules-school-mandatory-update-80402

Comment

Great article. Horrendous situations. Fantastic analysis. Tragic necessity. Here's to the Rules Committee!
                  Ratings-based divisions: disc golf's inevitable future.
                  Disc Golf Calendar: www.NWDiscGolf.info, or click CALENDAR at top of page
                  Submit Event to Calendar: treelove@nwdiscgolf.info
                  Team Disc Golf: http://www.teamdiscgolf.com
                  Bitchin' URL: http://www.nwdiscgolf.com

Comment

I wish I had read this before Blue Lakes - Was there a drop zone on Hole 2? ooops. Apparently, no one in my group realized this either. I guess I was slightly passed the perpendicular line.

Comment

Originally posted by PDX_Stu View Post
                      I wish I had read this before Blue Lakes - Was there a drop zone on Hole 2? ooops. Apparently, no one in my group realized this either. I guess I was slightly passed the perpendicular line.
                      and the drop zone was marked with a flag, what course did you play?

Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                      Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                      Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                      Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                      Or does here stand the last remaining man
                      To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                      No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                      Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                      Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X