X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Pier Park glow golf

Myself and a couple others will be out at Pier tonight (11/12) and will be lighting the baskets with glow sticks for around beginning around 5-5:30. If theres enough people maybe we can play some doubles for a few bucks!

Come join us!

PM if you're interested and I can keep you updated, we may start doing this weekly.

have fun, too far away for me

Comment

Well it was a fun round. The dollar store glowsticks in the baskets don't work too well from beyond 100' with all the ambient light at this park but it was fun anyway. Helps to know the course so well.

We will be out again next monday, possibly with fixed LED lights for all the baskets, if not just glowsticks again. Everyone is invited!

Comment

are the winter locations in yet?

Comment

No, not yet. But they should be soon. Its gettin pretty sloppy on holes 3 and 4.

Comment

If anyone plans on playing glow golf on our local courses, please be sure to remove all of the glow sticks from the course when you're done.

While they had no way of knowing exactly whose mess it was, Mittl & Zents cleaned up a slew of leftover glow crap off all of the baskets at Pier yesterday. Glow is fun, but trash is exactly that... trash.
            "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by Bullseye View Post
              If anyone plans on playing glow golf on our local courses, please be sure to remove all of the glow sticks from the course when you're done.

While they had no way of knowing exactly whose mess it was, Mittl & Zents cleaned up a slew of leftover glow crap off all of the baskets at Pier yesterday. Glow is fun, but trash is exactly that... trash.

Especially at a park like Pier where the neighbors watch our community very closely.
              "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

lighting baskets...rookies
                educate your thinking

Comment

Thank you for cleaning up some of my extra glowsticks! Sorry if it came off as a "slew of trash." I am a local to Pier Park and respect the grounds as much as the next disc golfer while playing glow golf.

I noticed that someone had gathered most of the final 9 glow sticks and threw them away. I came out the next day and got the rest and made sure they made it in my bag and off the course. After lighting the baskets we sometimes indulge in safari holes so I left them overnight until I could get back there the next day.

To JMan: Lighting the baskets adds a fun environment to the round. I am plenty familiar with playing in the dark on impromptu rounds, but we were looking to waste more time (darn short days).

Comment

Originally posted by Jason Philips View Post
                    Especially at a park like Pier where the neighbors watch our community very closely.
                    I definitely don't mean to harm the outsiders view of disc golfers at Pier Park by playing glow golf there. From my understanding the park is open until midnight. I usually play in the early evening (5-8pm) and stay aware of loud voices near the apartment complexes.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of someone who is in touch with the disc golf community that works for the parks system? It would be good to touch bases with them to make sure they're all right with us playing glow golf and anything we can do to help them and the neighbors of the park out.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Brian View Post
                      Thank you for cleaning up some of my extra glowsticks! Sorry if it came off as a "slew of trash." I am a local to Pier Park and respect the grounds as much as the next disc golfer while playing glow golf.

I noticed that someone had gathered most of the final 9 glow sticks and threw them away. I came out the next day and got the rest and made sure they made it in my bag and off the course. After lighting the baskets we sometimes indulge in safari holes so I left them overnight until I could get back there the next day.

To JMan: Lighting the baskets adds a fun environment to the round. I am plenty familiar with playing in the dark on impromptu rounds, but we were looking to waste more time (darn short days).
                      Just giving ya a little $hit...we stopped lighting baskets a few years ago to save time. I have a tight beam UV that we use to spot baskets from about 150 out, then turn it off and wait for that sound...if we glo on the canyon at Hornings we drop a light in the baskets to light the chains. Want a real fun glo...light the Meadow. Makes for a long round, but worth it.
                      educate your thinking

Comment

Oooh tight beam UV? That sounds nice. I have a lowes UV light that is pretty low quality and is no good for finding lost discs or spotting anything at a distance. Its good for glowing the discs though.

Comment

Originally posted by Michigan_Brian View Post
                          I definitely don't mean to harm the outsiders view of disc golfers at Pier Park by playing glow golf there. From my understanding the park is open until midnight. I usually play in the early evening (5-8pm) and stay aware of loud voices near the apartment complexes.

Does anyone know how to get ahold of someone who is in touch with the disc golf community that works for the parks system? It would be good to touch bases with them to make sure they're all right with us playing glow golf and anything we can do to help them and the neighbors of the park out.
                          come to a stumptown meeting is your best bet for meeting the local dudes what are in good contact with the parks folk... and work parties... and that way i don't put responsibility on someone who doesn't necessarily want our need it (jeff hagerty, eric lund i know are two guys who even sometimes have made it to the friends of pier park meetings... and i think the guy's name is dave blado... very unsure of that spelling, well, not the dave part... who has seemed to be organizing the work parties i've attended there).

definitely a good idea to make some contacts, tho... some of those neighbors are quite down on disc golf... which is just plain silly as disc golf has turned pier into a safe haven for families and folks to get out and be active and outdoors (apparently even at night).
                          "'There are two mantras.,' Bernard said, 'Yum and yuk. Mine is yum.'"
                          Tom Robbins, Still Life With Woodpecker

Comment

I think the hours are less of a concern. The bigger concern would be trash including the spent glowsticks. I pulled a few still in the chains yesterday. It may seem minor but the residents that are not fans of disc golf will bring up almost anything.

I do think going to the Friends of Pier Park meeting and introducing yourself could be good or bad. Do you want to put a spotlight on what you do or do you think meeting the neighbors has a greater benefit.

Just some thinking points.
                            "Love is not primarily a relationship to a specific person. Love is an attitude, an ordination of character which determines the relatedness of the person to the whole world as a whole, not toward one object of love.

Comment

I was hoping hours wouldn't be concerned since the park is open until midnight, but I was concerned that a group of disc golfers at 7:30 pm in November sticks out since the traffic dies down considerably this time of year. In my opinion, the added foot traffic is a benefit for the neighbors at this time of night, as many people are commuting home from work. We've definitely seen a few homeless and/or drug users during our rounds that "move along" when they see a group coming. Makes the environment less friendly to people their with improper intentions.

I'll make absolutely sure that the glow sticks get taken care of next time. It wasn't my intention to leave any of them on the course for more than 24 hrs after that round. Again, sorry if I missed a few, and I know a few were removed before I could get back there.

I'd love to come to a stumptown meeting just to get involved with the disc golf community. Like Jason said, im not sure theres a reason I need to spotlight the glow rounds to the neighbors. If it comes down to it sure, but right now I don't think a few rounds of glow golf hurts the park or its neighbors.

Thanks for the discussion everyone!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X