Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• West Sound next week - Bud Pell or Fairgrounds?

I'm going to be in the area next week, and MAYBE have time for a round or two. I played NAD last time I was in the area, and am choosing between Kitsap Fairgrounds and Bud Pell this time around. Is Bud Pell getting soggy yet? Either one in better shape right now?

I would think Fairgrounds would be in better shape right now after the rains.

As for which course to play? Depends on what you are looking for. Fairgrounds is a much tighter course with accuracy over distance on many of the holes. It also has one of the best holes to date that I have played (on back nine, 16?). Bud Pell is much more wide open but equally as fun. Maybe better.
    "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
    -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

The "Bud" may be starting to get a little soggy, but it's only a problem on holes 1 and 2. Maybe just try to stay off the far left-hand side of those 2 fairways. Why not play both Fairgrounds and Bud? They are only 5 minutes apart from one another. FG will take you about an 1 1/2 hrs and the Bud plan about 2 1/2.
      Last edited by jeffmonty; November 8th, 2011, 08:33 PM. Reason: add info
      Basket thieves

Comment

Thanks for the info. I usually like to play a new course twice, so I'll probably hit the Fairgrounds this time. Maybe by next Summer Bud Pell will have teepads and I will hit it then.

Comment

Bud Pell does have tee pads at each hole. Open Hex patterned plastic material with compacted gravel fill. Leveled, compacted. Large Slate tile array on top of two of those tees, holes 2 and 13 (in evaluation)

Hole 1 does have some squishiness, though right side of fairway drains to the left. This weekend looks like a stronger rain system, which might kick start a wet fall. Most of the course is above the lower plain used for hole 1, and is on higher ground with hardly a level slope around after the initial field. Close mowed conditions exist as the course still retains the extra effort put into the Whiners in the woods tourney. Full signage in place and accurate.

Both courses are great, and fairgrounds is a great winter course. Several of us locals have invested in boots and gaiters to keep playing the Bud, since we love it so much. Plus, great taco truck at the golf range at the Bud for a spicy finish.

My decision tree - if it's actively raining or windy I'd play at the more protected fairgrounds, and if the sun is out you'd find me at the Bud.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
            Bud Pell does have tee pads at each hole. Open Hex patterned plastic material with compacted gravel fill. Leveled, compacted. Large Slate tile array on top of two of those tees, holes 2 and 13 (in evaluation)

Hole 1 does have some squishiness, though right side of fairway drains to the left. This weekend looks like a stronger rain system, which might kick start a wet fall. Most of the course is above the lower plain used for hole 1, and is on higher ground with hardly a level slope around after the initial field. Close mowed conditions exist as the course still retains the extra effort put into the Whiners in the woods tourney. Full signage in place and accurate.

Both courses are great, and fairgrounds is a great winter course. Several of us locals have invested in boots and gaiters to keep playing the Bud, since we love it so much. Plus, great taco truck at the golf range at the Bud for a spicy finish.

My decision tree - if it's actively raining or windy I'd play at the more protected fairgrounds, and if the sun is out you'd find me at the Bud.
            Thanks for the info. I thought I read on dgcr that Bud Pell had natural teepads which I read as "dirt", Edit: nope it says "gravel". I'll post here if I am going to get out to either and maybe someone will want to show me around!

I do love a good truck taco.

Comment

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
              I would think Fairgrounds would be in better shape right now after the rains.

As for which course to play? Depends on what you are looking for. Fairgrounds is a much tighter course with accuracy over distance on many of the holes. It also has one of the best holes to date that I have played (on back nine, 16?). Bud Pell is much more wide open but equally as fun. Maybe better.
              I was able to get a round plus a few holes in at the Fairgrounds. Great course! I really enjoyed it and will definitely be back. If I lived in the area I would play it often. Great use of the terrain, nice mix of left and right, up and down, and plenty of birdie bids. I like wooded courses a lot and you guys did a great job designing this one and keeping it up. I actually played okay, but missed a lot of long birdie bids by a few inches, and that combined with not knowing the holes at all resulted in a very uninspiring +2 on this course which should be pretty easy to get well under.

Hole 6 and Hole 16 were my favorites. After I finished my round I had time for a few more holes so I decided to play 1-8 again. My first shot on Hole 6 was a Roc that flew right over the basket, and I decided to see what a putter might look like on that line. This hole plays over a small but pretty steep little gully that has two big trees in the bottom of it. There's plenty of room and you can easily avoid these trees.

The bigger tree, the one on the right, has a large, mossy crotch. (Hey, it happens to be true) Anyway, I yanked my drive a bit and imagine my surprise as I watch my putter hit a big branch, tiddly-wink straight up a few feet and disappear in the crotch! I stared for a few seconds, waiting to see it come down. Nothing. I walked the rim of the gully to the basket and tried to spot it from all angles. Nothing. It's either lying there in the moss or actually went into the cavity. I would have tried to get it down if I could see it, but even then it's a pretty tall tree.

So, greenish-yellow JK Aviar X with my ink on it, Hole 6, Kitsap Fairgrounds, 80 feet up in a mossy crotch.

My in-laws live on Bainbridge so I'm usually in the area a couple times a year. Last year I played NAD, next time I'll probably hit up Bud Pell. I liked Fairgrounds a lot more than NAD, but NAD is a nice course too. Thanks and good job to the WSDGA and everyone else for these courses! And beware the mossy crotch!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed yourself! We at WSDGA put a lot of work into our courses and we're proud of them. Always nice to hear from others that appreciate the effort!
                Basket thieves

Comment

For those who have an interest in Fairgrounds, liked what MattB's said, or wishes to climb a tree to look for his disc (I would recommend not to as it'd be pretty dangerous) - OR would like to give it a fresh look after playing it early when first installed and really brushy - The Westsound Disc Golf Association is holding Winter season doubles (free) (1$ace pot) on Saturday mornings at 9 am through the Spring Daylight Savings weekend 2012.

***Some of us are also sticking around after the round and "grooming" and "detailing" one hole a week to get and keep the course in tip top shape going into next spring.

Comment

Originally posted by WestsoundBT View Post
                    - The Westsound Disc Golf Association is holding Winter season doubles (free) (1$ace pot) on Saturday mornings at 9 am through the Spring Daylight Savings weekend 2012.

***Some of us are also sticking around after the round and "grooming" and "detailing" one hole a week to get and keep the course in tip top shape going into next spring.
                    as a brandy new guy,
                    would it be good for me to come out for one of these?
                    or would I be getting in the way?

EDIT:
                    is this at Fairgrounds? or NAD?

Comment

Come on out! Here's the official press release poster for the winter season.
                      (rest of year has traditionally used the same courses, but opposite days)

The after round maintenance party is very very short - intended to rake, trim, and haul off deadfall branches and logs - one hole a week. The season is 18 weeks long, so... perfect.

Comment

cool,

John C. Cohoon, Secretary got me interested in DG,
                        I have only gotten out once for a few holes, but I see this being something I could really get into.
                        I actually live about half way between the Bud Pell and Fairgrounds courses

as long as it's not miserable out, I will probably try to make it out Sat the 3rd to meet some people.

Russ

Comment

Originally posted by KrautBurner View Post
                          cool,

John C. Cohoon, Secretary got me interested in DG,
                          I have only gotten out once for a few holes, but I see this being something I could really get into.
                          I actually live about half way between the Bud Pell and Fairgrounds courses

as long as it's not miserable out, I will probably try to make it out Sat the 3rd to meet some people.

Russ
                          Oh, you're a friend of Hooner...well, that changes things.
                          Basket thieves

Comment

Originally posted by Matt B. View Post
                            I was able to get a round plus a few holes in at the Fairgrounds. Great course! I really enjoyed it and will definitely be back. If I lived in the area I would play it often. Great use of the terrain, nice mix of left and right, up and down, and plenty of birdie bids. I like wooded courses a lot and you guys did a great job designing this one and keeping it up. I actually played okay, but missed a lot of long birdie bids by a few inches, and that combined with not knowing the holes at all resulted in a very uninspiring +2 on this course which should be pretty easy to get well under.

Hole 6 and Hole 16 were my favorites. After I finished my round I had time for a few more holes so I decided to play 1-8 again. My first shot on Hole 6 was a Roc that flew right over the basket, and I decided to see what a putter might look like on that line. This hole plays over a small but pretty steep little gully that has two big trees in the bottom of it. There's plenty of room and you can easily avoid these trees.

The bigger tree, the one on the right, has a large, mossy crotch. (Hey, it happens to be true) Anyway, I yanked my drive a bit and imagine my surprise as I watch my putter hit a big branch, tiddly-wink straight up a few feet and disappear in the crotch! I stared for a few seconds, waiting to see it come down. Nothing. I walked the rim of the gully to the basket and tried to spot it from all angles. Nothing. It's either lying there in the moss or actually went into the cavity. I would have tried to get it down if I could see it, but even then it's a pretty tall tree.

So, greenish-yellow JK Aviar X with my ink on it, Hole 6, Kitsap Fairgrounds, 80 feet up in a mossy crotch.

My in-laws live on Bainbridge so I'm usually in the area a couple times a year. Last year I played NAD, next time I'll probably hit up Bud Pell. I liked Fairgrounds a lot more than NAD, but NAD is a nice course too. Thanks and good job to the WSDGA and everyone else for these courses! And beware the mossy crotch!
                            Well I'll be damned, someone called me on my disc! I guess it didn't go in the crotch after all. I can only imagine it fell straight down behind the tree where I couldn't see it and made no noice when it landed. I didn't go down to the base of the tree to look around.

Comment

Originally posted by jeffmonty View Post
                              Oh, you're a friend of Hooner...well, that changes things.
                              he just had surgery on his hand,
                              hopefully he'll be out slinging discs again soon

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X