6/26-28 ROAD TRIP tour of some OR courses: Bend, Sisters, Pier, Trojan, Corvallis(?) Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 6/26-28 ROAD TRIP tour of some OR courses: Bend, Sisters, Pier, Trojan, Corvallis(?)

I'm planning a round-trip from Seattle to Bend & Portland next weekend, and I'm looking for DGers to join in on the good times. I'm open to have someone make all/part of the trip with me, and also to have locals meet me at some of the courses I plan on hitting.

My itinerary (which is somewhat of a rough draft): leave Fri. morning 6/26 and drive to central OR, set up camp, then play Hyzer Pines (in Sisters) until we want to call it a day. Saturday morning head to Mt. Bachelor (outside Bend) for some awesome mountain golf -- I played there last summer and can't wait to go back. The ski lift is supposed to run until 8 PM, but we'll want to leave quite a bit before that to head toward Portland. The PDX area courses I definitely want to play on Sunday 6/28 are Pier Park (NW side of town) and Trojan Park (~40 miles north of Portland), as those are the RCO courses. After that, the dream is over -- I need to be back in Seattle by 6 PM on Sunday. If you are near any of these courses and available to play a round with an out-of-towner any time that weekend (again, my schedule isn't final), PM me!

There are 2 other options I'm also considering adding to the trip... (a) leave Mt. Bachelor early enough on Saturday to add a disc stop in one of Eugene/Corvallis/Salem, and camp there Saturday night instead of near Portland. (b) another alternative for Sat. evening: find some live music in the Portland area. the most appealing option I know of is the "Brews, Blues & BBQ" festival in Stevenson, WA.

If you want to make the trip with me, my 4-door sedan is inherently limited for space, so I can't realistically bring more than 1 passenger plus our discs and camping gear, food, etc -- 2 people (you + me) would be perfect, though. We would do our best to split costs evenly: gas, groceries, any camping fees, etc. I am willing to share my 2-person tent, camping stove and other such amenities. I am also open to you bringing CDs you like, as long as it's not all top-40 pop... bonus pts. if you have an iTrip.

My ideal travel mate is someone who loves road tripping, is pretty much willing to stick to these plans, doesn't mind getting up early , has fairly eclectic musical tastes, and observes good hygeine. PM or call me!!!

- Kyle Sutherland
    3-eight-six, three-6-6, 3-eight-1-four
    anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

bump

Comment

Can't make the roadtrip, but I'd be interested in playing a round at Pier on Sunday and possibly Trojan.

blu666z at gmail com

Comment

Originally posted by blu666z View Post
        Can't make the roadtrip, but I'd be interested in playing a round at Pier on Sunday and possibly Trojan.

blu666z at gmail com
        Will do... I/we'll be at Pier sunday morning, then heading to Trojan around 11 or a little after. Hope you can make both! I'll send you an e-mail too. looking forward to meeting up.

- Kyle

Comment

set...

Comment

SPIKE!

Alright, I'm heading out tomorrow morning, so last call for anyone who'd like to meet on:

Fri 6/26 @ Hyzer Pines - late afternoon, evening
            Sat 6/27 @ Mt. Bachelor - 10 AM, probably play 2 rds... OPENING DAY!
            @ Bryant (or Waterloo if you call me ahead) - late afternoon, evening
            Sun 6/28 @ Pier - 8:30
            @ Trojan - 12:30 PM

Refer to opening post for my phone number (at the bottom, in code...). Please call me rather than sending a PM from this point on, because I'm not sure if I'll be able to check the forum while I'm on the road.

So far I have Kevin meeting up with me Sunday to play Pier and maybe Trojan, too, depending on the Missus. Hope to have some more people join me!

- Kyle

Comment

final BUMP

Comment

Somebody's going to be tired.

Comment

Somebody doesn't have enough adventure in his life.

Well, it was a very fun and productive weekend. The lift was running at Mt. Bachelor but it turned out there weren't any baskets set up yet. No big deal though, as I had a course map and had played the alpine 18 and alpine 9 last summer anyway, so I still played all the tee shots and got to work on lots of downhill shots in general.

I played Waterloo (and have hundreds of scratches all over my legs to remember it by...) and got to check out Bryant park -- really got me looking forward to Calapooia in August. Sunday I met Kevin at Pier, and I can't thank him enough for the guided tour and the company; we'll be seeing each other again, bud. Then I stopped at Trojan for the afternoon... man, is that course intimidating for a newcomer. I've never dealt with water nearly that much before, but by halfway through the round (after losing 3 discs) I had figured out how to adjust my game. Glad I played there, but glad I only have to play it once at RCO.

I must say though, I'm disappointed that there was only one forum-user who responded to my call for meeting up at any of these courses I'd never played before. I realize that many were playing in the Bad Monkey and Emerald Valley opens, but I still would have expected more than 1 rendez-vous to materialize, let alone 1 response whatsoever... with all the bickering and off-topic rambling that goes on here, it would be nice to know that this forum could actually catalyze some real world camaraderie. Here's to better luck next time, and to more people using the forum as a positive, community-building force.

- Kyle

Comment

Well, you mentioned one of the reasons you probably didn't have more peoples try to hook up with you for a round - the Bad Monkey. Normally I try to meet new people at Trojan to show them around, but I was in the 'Couv throwing at the tourney that morning. I have met many people at Trojan through this forum - unfortunately, that weekend I was elsewhere. Sorry.

~Z
                    TROJAN NATION: zippyboy, bishop, wiseguy, jasonrocksout, Dan N., Ol' Bob, The Mentor, chris7graham, radsnowsurfer, ChUcK, J-Man, Keys, Over The Hill Bob, Tennesee, Haley, Jeep4x420, Scott Hill, JubJub, Jim Anderson, JLewis, Z-Man, Greg the Clown, Marcus B., Treelove, Trozzle, Brillo, D-Walk, my beloved (Amy), Tim, Leland (my dad), Bro, Peter, Michael, and Rolly. Anybody else?

Comment

Enjoyed playing with you too Kyle. Let me know when you make it back to the area.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X