X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Funny found disc story

So I get a call, on the way to Whistler's, but it's a number I don't recognize so I let it go to message. I cue up the message on this come on: (in your best tweeker voice) "My name's Tom, I live in newberg, I found a disc with this number on it, it's a lime green Leopard; oh it says I get a five dollar reward, cool I get a five dollar reward. Anyway I have it, bye." What a guy, and I really do appreciate the call, but...That disc has got to be at least 5 years old. Ah well, Tom, you have yourself a Leopard.
    educate your thinking

I got a call from a guy in Truckee who found my disc. "Hey, I found your blue Monster. Nice disc. Thanks!" Click.

Ah, it's times like these that I so want to believe in Karma...
    ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
    ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

I lost one of my "go to" discs at the Arlington course. I threw it in the middle of the river during the winter floods. Six months later some dude was rafting down the river and went to a sandbar to piss. He noticed some plastic sticking out of the sand and found my disc. The disc was probably 6 miles downstream of where I lost it.

So the guy calls me and says he will trade it for a 12 pack. I told him the disc was only worth a 6 pack when it was new. So I bought a 12 pack anyway and stopped by his house. I drank 3 of his (mine) beers with him and his buddies, got my disc back, and made a new friend.

karma!

Comment

...Out here at Rockwood and Vance, they just wait for you to turn the other direction, and pick your disc up, right off the fairway, and into their bag. I stopped a couple kids from doin' just that yesterday, someone in our group got treed, we let them play through, and the look on their face was like "Look, free discs, and its not the crappy cheap stuff we throw!" ...
        ...And there won't be any phone calls... ...Gangsters!...
        sigpic

Comment

I hate Rockwood. I only play there at night so I can watch the gunfire. It's easier to see the muzzle flash if it is dark out.

Comment

Originally posted by Kris Hagner View Post
            ...Out here at Rockwood and Vance, they just wait for you to turn the other direction, and pick your disc up, right off the fairway, and into their bag. I stopped a couple kids from doin' just that yesterday, someone in our group got treed, we let them play through, and the look on their face was like "Look, free discs, and its not the crappy cheap stuff we throw!" ...
            ...And there won't be any phone calls... ...Gangsters!...
            Kris, you gotta get out more, I like the lay out of Rock/Vance, but it's just too sketch. Last time I was there a guy was so drunk he was yelling at everyone throwing, and playing real slow, and trying to pick a fight with anyone who shot a glance his way. Then he barfed all over the concrete in front of the snack table (winter league), never went back, and don't care if I do. Though there's something special about a guy who will try to tell you he's not stealing your wallet, he just wanted to feel the inside of you pocket.
            educate your thinking

Comment

Originally posted by Brian View Post
              I hate Rockwood. I only play there at night so I can watch the gunfire. It's easier to see the muzzle flash if it is dark out.
              I was appalled when I first played Rockwood. Hadn't finished 9 holes before a serious call-the-ambulance fight broke out at the basketball court. Last Week I threw a roller that crossed over the sidewalk and rolled into a bum. Not hard or anything. He was drunk and wouldn't give my disc back. Eventually I got it. Ten minutes later, that same bum was bum fighting with another bum. You gotta see them swing on each other, they fight like drunk chicks, slappin' each other and stuff, rollin' around in the mud, totally classic!... Girls Gone Wild at Rockwood! Volume 6!
              sigpic

Comment

Originally posted by JMan View Post
                Kris, you gotta get out more, I like the lay out of Rock/Vance, but it's just too sketch.
                Yer right, J-man! I say that all the time! I need to get out more! I've played 39 courses in 2 years, but I mostly play here because my friends play here. I like to think that the sketch factor will get better with time. A pipe dream perhaps.
                sigpic

Comment

Yer right, J-man! I say that all the time! I need to get out more! I've played 39 courses in 2 years, but I mostly play here because my friends play here. I like to think that the sketch factor will get better with time. A pipe dream perhaps.
                  I first played Rockwood in '96. Unless your stories are also that old, I think that you know how better the sketch factor will get with time.
                  Hath this whole world been mired in madness?
                  Remain ye men of faculty complete,
                  Of full arithmetic and prudence fair,
                  Attending to our noble bond and contract?
                  Or does here stand the last remaining man
                  To give a fig for rules and order yet,
                  No noble savage, but a stave unbroken
                  Who loves the law and bids it no misdeed.
                  Iíll not be bent to lawlessness. Mark it nought, if we be men of honour.

Comment

I was appalled when I first played Rockwood. Hadn't finished 9 holes before a serious call-the-ambulance fight broke out at the basketball court. Last Week I threw a roller that crossed over the sidewalk and rolled into a bum. Not hard or anything. He was drunk and wouldn't give my disc back. Eventually I got it. Ten minutes later, that same bum was bum fighting with another bum. You gotta see them swing on each other, they fight like drunk chicks, slappin' each other and stuff, rollin' around in the mud, totally classic!... Girls Gone Wild at Rockwood! Volume 6!
                    Funny, I've played Rockwood a number of times, sometimes by myself and have never had a problem or seen one. Sure, I've seen some seedy looking characters but usually I give them a friendly greeting, a smile, tee off and play golf. You want to run into a bunch of gangsta types, try playing Team Golf.

Bob

Comment

I've had to dodge gunfire more than once during night golf. I had to hide behind trees one time.

Comment

One of my first days at Rockwood, I met Aaron Durand, I saw Bart Yanach's first ace (he has what... 1000 now?) and nearly got involved in a knife vs. disc fight that was between two other people. I can't decide if that was the most fun I have ever had there or what.
                        ďI believe I can hit 18 greens, hit every fairway, you know ó Vision 54, which means you birdie every hole, thatís in the back of my mind. I want to putt better, chip better. That day when I hit 18 greens and one putt, Iíll know Iím a complete golfer. Will that ever happen? Iím not sure, but itís possible. The 54 vision is always in the back of my mind.Ē
                        ~Annika SŲrenstam

Comment

First time I played Rockwood I had to fight Chuck Norris just to clear the basket of my own ace...man that was brutal.
                          Team DISCRAFT
                          NW Sign Up
                          Gorilla Boy
                          Paragon Disc Golf
                          Odwalla

Comment

Ah, good ol' Rockwood. I've played there several times, and still do occasionally. I've had rounds there with no issues, and I've had rounds there with plenty of madness going down (Rockwood is the only place I've ever called the police while golfing). It all depends on the day. I've got friends who won't play there because of the sketch factor. Myself, I just roll down the street to Vance if stuff starts to get too funky for my liking.

Regardless of the sketch factor, that little course still holds a special place in my heart, as I've met many of my golfing friends there for the first time. On a course as big and spread out as Milo, it's not as easy to make new friends.

Comment

I tend to steer clear of Rockwood and play Vance instead; I've never seen any trouble there.
                              Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X