X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Lost/found discs for sale on Ebay

Interesting Ebay seller. Selling lots of discs on Ebay. Many with obviously different signatures. One discs is Andrew Rich's disc that he lost at Trojan last year. Check the pics out. Maybe you will find on of your own?

http://stores.ebay.com/Evallded-Auct...p2047675.l2563
    All I want for Christmas is Sharpies and Rit Dye!!!!

Dave Bratz.
    Lives in Portland now, but from Longview.
    He's already been talked to about this.
    Unfortunately, he just doesn't care.

Comment

Anyone see this guy around Portland at all? Does he play tournaments or anything? That's not cool at all. We need some people to set this guy straight.
      Brody Cannon
      PDGA #34008

Comment

So let's win the discs back or just report his ass to Feebay. Disc Thieves Taste Like Chicken
        "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
        Cleveland Brown

Comment

He's a recreational player, who dives at Trojan for profit.
          He's explained himself like this: "Since I worked to retrieve it, it's mine, if you want it back, pay me for my time."

I've been very slightly on the fence about this philosophy.
          I don't consider people like this to be "disc thieves" per se... Who are they stealing from? The players who have abandoned their plastic in the toxic water? Every disc that I have lost at Trojan (50+) was due to a poor drive, or bad weather, or too many beverages, and was abandoned by me. I do not have enough antibiotics or time or desire to jump into that beaver-infested slime to (maybe) find my $15 disc. It's a gift from me to the crazy sucker willing to bath in the toxic waste. No one on this planet is legally obligated to return my disc. But if they did, I would make it very worth their while, >wink<

*However, I do find it very inconsiderate not to call numbers. I think that's the real issue here. I've run into Dave a few times on the course while he's been diving. After going through his treasure, I've said "Hey I know a couple of these guys, make sure you call or I can return them for ya" and his reply has been to the effect of "I'm not diving for charity. If you want to return them you can pay/trade me for them"...

Trozzle - thanks for starting this. I've seen Dave's listings on eBay and CL and never really thought to flame him on here...

Comment

He needs to at least make an effort to contact the person.. At least that way, the person has the opportunity to give the guy a few bucks for the disc back!
            Brody Cannon
            PDGA #34008

Comment

I wouldnt get too carried away with flaming there motordisc13, Eli Reid. You yourself have been more then happy to partake in the spoils from such ventures over the years. However with that said....Eli is really good about calling names on found discs and has actually got a few of them from me just to call the person and return the disc.

Ok, I am sure that this is soon to blow up, and before it does I would like to say a few things.....

First off, Andrew Rich wrote me last night and told me that I was selling his disc on ebay, and that he would love to have it back. his disc is one that I did pay for from a lot bought on craigslist as a lot of these were. However I told him that I would be more then happy to return his disc to him, if he covered the 3.00 I paid for it, and 3.50 shipping, he seems like a super nice guy and was just happy to have his disc back. I cancelled the 41.00 bid on the disc to return it.

Secondly while yes I do from time to time recover discs from trojan, I also buy many many discs through different players, craigslist, stores etc. And thank you for making me sound like a complete douche Eli, but thats not exactly how all that goes down.

Yes when I first started playing disc golf I found a few discs there, some were returned, some were kept and later some were sold, much later. I have a couple times loaded up a stack of discs from there and sold them. But never did I make myself sound like scrooge mcduck sitting on my gold pile, once again thanks eli

Now as a disc golfer myself, I do see that this is a gray area! while some of you are very quick to call me a disc thief, lets be honest about how this goes. You went to play at trojan, whether your first time, or just a glutton for punishment. and you threw your disc in the water, at that point you made the decision that it wasnt worth it to jump in and get it back. And trust me I have done the exact same thing. you knew where the disc was and you chose to write it off versus getting wet. in what Motordisc13 very accurately called beaver infested slime.

To be honest I have done this a few times, sometimes I have made a profit, sometimes I have just gotten sick, and sometimes I have froze my a$$ off for nothing. Usually anymore I just do it for fun, I do return some of the discs, there are a few locals that I see many of the same discs from that get theirs back.

Another point I would like to make, when I do take the time to pull out all these discs, they dont pop out of the water as clean nice new discs, they come out covered and imbedded with algae of different colors, they are soaked for weeks to get rid of the smell and scrubbed for hours to make decent again. and most any disc left in there for more then 6 months is absolute garbage! Literally I throw them away, they are so disgusting and covered in gunk that doesn't wash off and many are warped.

Now despite how I know many are going to be right quick to jump up, point fingers, call names, accuse of thievery etc...etc. lets go over the facts again, you have an approximate 6 months to recover a disc before its un savable, you had no intention of ever retrieving it, yet everyone wants to claim being wronged by someone who gets the disc back. Now as I said, a gray area because sometimes someones name was on the disc, and in disc golf we return peoples discs. I would also like to point out that I have NEVER kept a disc of someones that I have found anywhere other then in the bottom of that lake!

But I propose this, Why dont we turn this "wrong doing" into a service that stands to benefit everyone involved. I love disc golf, and one of my favorite things about it has always been meeting cool people along the way so I dont want to piss off all the people Ive loved to play along beside. as I said, while its true that I do sometimes turn a profit, I do also kinda enjoy doing it. I am not a disc collector, it makes no difference to me if a disc is a super cool vintage champion stamp firebird or whatever, the only discs I have interest in keeping are the discs I throw and there 12 in my bag. Now I am not going to go through and call every single phone number on a found disc. But I would be more then happy to report everytime I go to trojan, and if discs were lost, post them up, or something and I will hold them all for a set amount of time and make sure everyone who has lost a disc that they were interested in gets a chance to get it back. I havent looked around on this site, but I am sure we could sticky a new posting for recovered discs from trojan?

Well I am sure I will hear all sorts of feedback, and hopefully we can work towards an ammicable solution for everyone, I may be a lot of things but im not an a hole and im not a thief.

Comment

I would also like to point out that I have in the meanwhile canceled all of my ebay auctions. and what I am proposing is something like a 3.00 recovery fee, if it wasnt worth 3.00, or getting wet, then probably not worth complaining about either.

There are also many other people that pull stacks of discs out of there, and none of them that I know of have ever proposed something like this, sooooo, I could just stop retrieving them, and that would mean others will instead.

Comment

I think what people are mostly asking for is the chance to get their plastic back before it goes on Ebay. Most people I know would be more than willing to compensate you for such troubles if a phone call is placed. Heck I know I would be more than willing to pay 5 dollars plus shipping costs, if not more if the disc was something I really enjoyed throwing. Just my 2 cents though.

Edit: And if it's easier than calling, the names of this discs you find on this Forum, we all have many friends, and perhaps if we catch a name we recognize we could have them call you. Just a thought!
                  Last edited by Bruce; May 21st, 2013, 03:43 PM.

Comment

Honestly, with all things considered, I admire the fact that you've chosen to take this head on, out in the open.

I certainly would have no problem whatsoever in paying you (or anyone else) a few bucks to get back a choice disc I may have lost in the drink.

There is a little history with this sort of thing in the disc golf community, and without knowing any details, people may have assumed you were one of the "unreasonable ones".

Good job on agreeing to get that one back to Andrew.
                    "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

Comment

Originally posted by thediscthief View Post
                      I would also like to point out that I have in the meanwhile canceled all of my ebay auctions. and what I am proposing is something like a 3.00 recovery fee, if it wasnt worth 3.00, or getting wet, then probably not worth complaining about either.

There are also many other people that pull stacks of discs out of there, and none of them that I know of have ever proposed something like this, sooooo, I could just stop retrieving them, and that would mean others will instead.
                      i think it just gets down to people wanting to have the opportunity to KNOW their disc has been found. a phone call, or a post here of discs you've found, would let everyone have the chance of paying you a VERY REASONABLE $3 to get it back... or they could say thanks for the call, don't want it anymore, cheers.

i've been in that muck up past my nads, and it's not fun. i've lost some great discs in there, and you're right- i'm probably not going in over my head to fish around for it. but- that doesn't necessarily mean i've written it off and wouldn't like to have it back.

i applaud your hard work, and it's cool that you think it's fun to dive in there. if you love disc golf and love meeting cool people, like you stated earlier, you'd probably get more satisfaction by allowing everyone a chance to get their plastic back, than you would by flipping them on ebay or whatever.

just my 2 cents...

Comment

You know honestly I almost never set out to retrieve discs there anymore. If I am in the drink in Trojan its usually because I went to play and lost a disc, jumped in to get it back and well......if your in for a dime your in for a dollar, right?

I am more then happy to return what I can, meet a few cool people in the process and maybe even play a game with some new people.

Comment

Welcome to nwdgn Dave.
                          So, looking back over my posting, I did lay it down a bit harsh. The last couple times we talked disc golf, I felt you were up to douchebaggery, Scrooging it up on your goldpile... but maybe there was a more tactful way to blast your name across the Internet. Sounds like your perspective now is right on, and I appreciate your replies in your defense.
                          I think my posting clearly shows I agree with the idea that you're not a "disc thief" just because you fish for plastic. I'm not going in there, so tear it up! But I was disappointed to know you weren't interested in making any calls. Sounds like you've voiced good intentions and I'm happy to stand corrected. Nice to see some good come out of this.

Comment

So, since the auctions are cancelled how do i see if he pulled one of my discs out? I would happily pay the fee to get it back and i said as much when i left a lost at trojan post on this very forum. Actually, the 2 dx and the star katana you can keep, but if you have an orange z nuke with my name (brian) and #, i'd like to see it again.

Comment

Originally posted by extramontana View Post
                              So, since the auctions are cancelled how do i see if he pulled one of my discs out? I would happily pay the fee to get it back and i said as much when i left a lost at trojan post on this very forum. Actually, the 2 dx and the star katana you can keep, but if you have an orange z nuke with my name (brian) and #, i'd like to see it again.
                              I havent made it too far into the lost at trojan posts yet but i dont have any of the discs you posted. if you send me your number and name i will take another look through

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X