Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Jeff has successfully brought a charter change during his term on the Board.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Jeremy your post was pretty much right on. The process for anything through the club is a time burglar but needs to be followed each and every time.

It my understanding that the Charter committee was set up by the board to examine a document that needed to be updated. Then report back to the board it's findings. With Lyle leaking something the committee was discussing (clearly not fast enough for his liking) it seems the committee has something to offer the board. They in turn will approve some, most, all of the changes offered and then present a complete package for a simple yes or no vote by the membership at large.

It seems to me that the Jan meeting might offer up a product worthy of our consideration for the next scheduled meeting

Benefiting from a Conflict of interest does not necessarily mean cash. In this instance he would gain the moniker of "the man who finally got Sekani" and or then rode this wave to reelection
      rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
        They in turn will approve some, most, all of the changes offered and then present a complete package for a simple yes or no vote by the membership at large.
        This is unlikely.

Benefiting from a Conflict of interest does not necessarily mean cash.
        Correct.

In this instance he would gain the moniker of "the man who finally got Sekani" and or then rode this wave to reelection
        He would still be that guy whether he sold out the Board on this or not, so this seems a bit flimsy to me.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
          Jeff has successfully brought a charter change during his term on the Board.
          That was a silly change, that should have never been needed changed in the first place because it should have been written as president in the first place.. I think it was. Nothing major has been changed.
          Relax and enjoy your hair
          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
            Charter changes, which there haven't been any by the club in over 3 years, is suddenly something that people are worried about happening. The only change that's ever been voted, is that on whether or not the club should vote on who represents them. This is not very scary and borderline's on common sense. The charter review committee has been together for 8 months and have yet to bring any actual changes or recommendations to the club. The talking is plentiful. The action's are less than obvious because there aren't any. The what if's are so reaching that it reminds me of my 4 year old niece playing tea party So if there is ever going to be a change to the charter it would be nice to have it happen any point within the next couple years. If the charter was changed to where there was a month long period for the club to review it, does it seem possible that disc golfers that are club members could vote via email or snail mail or telephone. It seems like if you would really like to see what the club had to say, than you would allow everyone to vote, not just the people that could make the date of the meeting. Pole the club as a whole or leave it alone.
            Can things be fixed that actually need fixed, or do we just talk about how we should talk about how we fix it?
            Jeremy, Yes, we should all talk about how we talk with each other about how we fix things. Tim

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
              Charter changes, which there haven't been any by the club in over 3 years, is suddenly something that people are worried about happening. The only change that's ever been voted, is that on whether or not the club should vote on who represents them. This is not very scary and borderline's on common sense. The charter review committee has been together for 8 months and have yet to bring any actual changes or recommendations to the club. The talking is plentiful. The action's are less than obvious because there aren't any. The what if's are so reaching that it reminds me of my 4 year old niece playing tea party So if there is ever going to be a change to the charter it would be nice to have it happen any point within the next couple years. If the charter was changed to where there was a month long period for the club to review it, does it seem possible that disc golfers that are club members could vote via email or snail mail or telephone. It seems like if you would really like to see what the club had to say, than you would allow everyone to vote, not just the people that could make the date of the meeting. Pole the club as a whole or leave it alone.
              Can things be fixed that actually need fixed, or do we just talk about how we should talk about how we fix it?
              Correct, there have been no actions from the Charter Review Committee. The talk has been plentiful. Something may happen... Tim

Comment

So I have three questions.
                1.) What change did the president bring to the charter?
                2.) Why has the charter review committee been so slow to bring about or even suggest any sort of changes?
                3.) If a charter change is presented, is it currently voted on by members and the board or is it a board only vote?
                "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
                Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                  So I have three questions.
                  1.) What change did the president bring to the charter?
                  Changing the title of the Board position "Steward" to "President".

2.) Why has the charter review committee been so slow to bring about or even suggest any sort of changes?
                  They've talked to the Board about some things that need attention, but nailing down definite language and exactly how to fix a problem is not a trivial task.

3.) If a charter change is presented, is it currently voted on by members and the board or is it a board only vote?
                  According to the Charter, it is a vote by current members at a scheduled member meeting requiring 2/3 of the total vote to enact a change. The Board cannot change the Charter alone, unless there is a scheduled member meeting where a quorum of Board members show and no one else.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                    Changing the title of the Board position "Steward" to "President".

They've talked to the Board about some things that need attention, but nailing down definite language and exactly how to fix a problem is not a trivial task.

According to the Charter, it is a vote by current members at a scheduled member meeting requiring 2/3 of the total vote to enact a change. The Board cannot change the Charter alone, unless there is a scheduled member meeting where a quorum of Board members show and no one else.
                    I think that Lyle is correct on all points.

We have a President instead of a Steward as the only recent Charter change.

Looking at changes to an existing Charter is an amazingly difficult process. We have had fits and starts at this for well over a year-maybe two. Leslie, Bob, myself and others have gathered information on how to do the deed, including many examples of other entity Charters/Bylaws, "how to guides" and what we might want to reference. Other folk think it is good enough in its current state with a couple of possible tweaks. Looking at what we need in a Charter depends on where we think we are as an association (now there you'll find some differences in opinion!) and where we think we are going. Perhaps the incoming Board can give some direction. Then you need to ask; is it time to look at issues of non profit status directly, position ourselves to do so in the future, stipulate what we need to do to operate under another entites umbrella or continue our current business model? It would be far easier to start over from scratch than to amend what we have...not suggesting that, but it would be easier. Hard messy work ahead.

Lyle points out how I read the current Charter. If one member shows up for a Members Meeting and you have a Board Quorum, you can pass a Charter amendment. I am hoping that this issue gets on the agenda at a Member meeting some time in the near future.

Tim N.

Comment

Originally posted by friable7 View Post
                      I think that Lyle is correct on all points.

We have a President instead of a Steward as the only recent Charter change.

Looking at changes to an existing Charter is an amazingly difficult process. We have had fits and starts at this for well over a year-maybe two. Leslie, Bob, myself and others have gathered information on how to do the deed, including many examples of other entity Charters/Bylaws, "how to guides" and what we might want to reference. Other folk think it is good enough in its current state with a couple of possible tweaks. Looking at what we need in a Charter depends on where we think we are as an association (now there you'll find some differences in opinion!) and where we think we are going. Perhaps the incoming Board can give some direction. Then you need to ask; is it time to look at issues of non profit status directly, position ourselves to do so in the future, stipulate what we need to do to operate under another entites umbrella or continue our current business model? It would be far easier to start over from scratch than to amend what we have...not suggesting that, but it would be easier. Hard messy work ahead.

Lyle points out how I read the current Charter. If one member shows up for a Members Meeting and you have a Board Quorum, you can pass a Charter amendment. I am hoping that this issue gets on the agenda at a Member meeting some time in the near future.

Tim N.
                      As I read this I see lot's of questions surfacing with no direction. Does anybody have a proposal? If starting over is better in your opinion. Write out what this new charter might read like. If trimming is the best way can we see what issues might need to be addressed. The problems seem numerous but the solution cupboard is baron. Everybody seems afraid to say, I vote that we change the charter to... Maybe certain people think the charter is adequate... After 8 months of meetings, there hasn't been one proposed charter amendment by the committee on this two page document. When we voted on club members getting to vote for who fills in for our missing Reps, Tim voted that the board should keep appointing representatives of the club on the first vote. He admitted that it made sense that the club should elect it's reps, but because the committee hadn't talked about it, he stated that he felt that it needed to be adequate analyzed.. The next meeting the same proposal was brought up, this time, typed out on and passed around to the club. Tim again voted no, even though the committee had met. Gordy, Bob and Tim tried to curtail us from even voting about it, saying that, the committee needed to talk about how we change our bylaws, before actually changing them. Even if the change isn't done in the most proper way possible(which it was via our actual charter), there is no need to delay positive progress that helps our club exercise one of our two powers given. Or how about producing some language that says to change a charter bylaw, the club must be given 30 days notice. It was suggested but it wasn't really presented. Twice new legislation is shot down for reasons other than there being an actual problem with the change Well there was more than likely an unsaid problem from board members who wanted to be able to appoint their buddy's instead of allowing the club to decide.

Has everybody seen the list of things that Jeff Crum (sky pilot) has accomplished? I want to see the list of what Gordy, Bob, Jon Verbarg and Tim N. have even proposed!?!? We have leaders that aren't, except for in title.. It is difficult to make this statement knowing that I will be working with at least 2 of these men. I know that they have passion for the game. It is only about our courses from October-March. The rest of the year it is the Inland Northwest series. While the series is demanding on them and well ran, it is not an excuse to put city course development on the back burner. A charter change that would be a welcome addition would be one that demanded some sort of action by board members. Something that would propel a reasonable amount of work or proposals during the "offseason". A meeting every 4-6 weeks. With back to back meetings being grounds for dismissal (if board member doesn't communicate their absence ahead of time), and a third miss in a row be an automatic dismissal. Missing 4 meetings in a year or 7 in a term being grounds for dismissal. Meeting every 4-6 weeks would mean that there is a minimum of 8 board meetings a year. Which there are probably as many right now. They are all bunched into a 6 month window though. Time to make our club and courses a year round project? I think so.

Let's get some idea's on how to adjust/fix the charter... Shoot it out. Doesn't need to be written perfectly, just an idea
                      Relax and enjoy your hair
                      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                      Collapse
                      No announcement yet.
                      Working...
                      X