2012 SDGA Secretary's Campaign Thread Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • 2012 SDGA Secretary's Campaign Thread

    Candidates for the office of SDGA Secretary are invited to campaign and post their platforms here on this thread.
    Last edited by Timber; December 24th, 2011, 08:54 AM.
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

  • #2
    Hi all my fellow golfers.
    I'm nominating myself for SDGA Secretary. I have a lot of experience typing, taking notes, and have transcription capabilities. I have many years of secretary/office experience. Please consider voting for me.

    Thanks,
    Nancy Morgan

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by Nancyjo9 View Post
      Hi all my fellow golfers.
      I'm nominating myself for SDGA Secretary. I have a lot of experience typing, taking notes, and have transcription capabilities. I have many years of secretary/office experience. Please consider voting for me.

      Thanks,
      Nancy Morgan
      Nancy, please post your nomination on the nomination thread and not the Secretary's Campaign Thread. Thanks, Bob
      Fly free and straight to the pin!

      Comment


      • #4
        Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
        Nancy, please post your nomination on the nomination thread and not the Secretary's Campaign Thread. Thanks, Bob
        Nancy is campaigning.

        Comment


        • #5
          Introduction:
          My name is Sean Johnson and I have accepted the nomination to run for the position of Secretary of the Spokane Disc Golf Association. I have lived in Spokane for nearly my whole life and have been playing on our local courses for just over three years. I love Spokane, and even more importantly, I love Spokane Disc Golf! I deeply appreciate all of the blood, sweat, and tears (and dollars) that went in to making our courses a reality. Moreover, I understand that playing on our courses is a privilege that I have only because of the efforts of those that came before me.

          If elected, it is my sincere hope that I can build on this tradition and help to take Spokane disc golf to the next level. My love for the sport and the people that play it makes me completely committed to growing the SDGA, improving our courses, and expanding disc golf into new and exciting areas. I will bring a level head and a (mostly ) impartial point of view when addressing some of the more contentious issues that we are facing today. I believe that member engagement and positive collaboration is only way that we can make any real progress towards our goals.

          Qualifications:
          - Fast and accurate note taker.
          - Experienced with all Microsoft Office products.
          - Real-world experience in positions that would make me an ideal candidate for this position (office, etc). Iím also not afraid to get my hands dirty for a work party as well.
          - Active member of NWDiscgolfnews.com (and I will become even more active if elected).
          - AM tourney player- This means that I am serious about the sport, involved with the local tournament scene, and value safe and challenging course layouts. However, I am not so competitive that I am out of touch with casual and rec players, nor do I tour so much that I would be disconnected from the local scene.


          Platform:

          Simply put, Club members need to know that their opinions matter and will be represented by the board that they have elected. I also think that club members need to know who they are voting for and where they stand on certain issues. If you want to know where I stand on anything, please just ask! I will start off with one part of my platform, and I will add posts periodically as I get them done.

          Improved club dialogue is my #1 priority and is the first piece of my platform. As the Secretary, I will make every reasonable effort to accurately record and post what goes on at club and board meetings. I believe strongly that all club members have a right to know what is being discussed and what is being voted on. I know that there are some sensitive issues that may need to be addressed in private, but they should be the exception to the rule. I will also take the necessary steps to make sure that information gets to as many club members as possible, as fast as possible. My skillset and my familiarity with online forums make me an ideal candidate for these responsibilities.

          Most importantly, I want to make the flow of information a two-way street. There are far too many club members, former and present, that are getting burned out because they feel like their opinions don't matter or are not heard. If we can find a way to make our members feel more engaged, then we will feel a greater sense of ownership and pride in the projects that we take on.

          This is going to be a top priority for me because I believe that if we can improve the flow and the quality of information within our club, we will have the groundwork to solve a heck of a lot of problems. We are at a pivotal moment in Spokane Disc Golf history; I just want to make sure that we work together and make the best of it.

          More to come...

          Comment


          • #6
            mere Secretary?

            I gotta say, Sean, that is an impressive platform, and very well articulated. I'm thinking you're overqualified and overenthusiastic for the Secretary position and ought to be running for President.
            If I nominated you for President, would you consider changing positions?
            I think every point you made is what a President should be all about.
            The Secretary's duties revolve more around the meetings, and the innerworkings of the club.
            I think you should consider it.
            Steve

            Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
            Introduction:
            My name is Sean Johnson and I have accepted the nomination to run for the position of Secretary of the Spokane Disc Golf Association. I have lived in Spokane for nearly my whole life and have been playing on our local courses for just over three years. I love Spokane, and even more importantly, I love Spokane Disc Golf! I deeply appreciate all of the blood, sweat, and tears (and dollars) that went in to making our courses a reality. Moreover, I understand that playing on our courses is a privilege that I have only because of the efforts of those that came before me.

            If elected, it is my sincere hope that I can build on this tradition and help to take Spokane disc golf to the next level. My love for the sport and the people that play it makes me completely committed to growing the SDGA, improving our courses, and expanding disc golf into new and exciting areas. I will bring a level head and a (mostly ) impartial point of view when addressing some of the more contentious issues that we are facing today. I believe that member engagement and positive collaboration is only way that we can make any real progress towards our goals.

            Qualifications:
            - Fast and accurate note taker.
            - Experienced with all Microsoft Office products.
            - Real-world experience in positions that would make me an ideal candidate for this position (office, etc). Iím also not afraid to get my hands dirty for a work party as well.
            - Active member of NWDiscgolfnews.com (and I will become even more active if elected).
            - AM tourney player- This means that I am serious about the sport, involved with the local tournament scene, and value safe and challenging course layouts. However, I am not so competitive that I am out of touch with casual and rec players, nor do I tour so much that I would be disconnected from the local scene.


            Platform:

            Simply put, Club members need to know that their opinions matter and will be represented by the board that they have elected. I also think that club members need to know who they are voting for and where they stand on certain issues. If you want to know where I stand on anything, please just ask! I will start off with one part of my platform, and I will add posts periodically as I get them done.

            Improved club dialogue is my #1 priority and is the first piece of my platform. As the Secretary, I will make every reasonable effort to accurately record and post what goes on at club and board meetings. I believe strongly that all club members have a right to know what is being discussed and what is being voted on. I know that there are some sensitive issues that may need to be addressed in private, but they should be the exception to the rule. I will also take the necessary steps to make sure that information gets to as many club members as possible, as fast as possible. My skillset and my familiarity with online forums make me an ideal candidate for these responsibilities.

            Most importantly, I want to make the flow of information a two-way street. There are far too many club members, former and present, that are getting burned out because they feel like their opinions don't matter or are not heard. If we can find a way to make our members feel more engaged, then we will feel a greater sense of ownership and pride in the projects that we take on.

            This is going to be a top priority for me because I believe that if we can improve the flow and the quality of information within our club, we will have the groundwork to solve a heck of a lot of problems. We are at a pivotal moment in Spokane Disc Golf history; I just want to make sure that we work together and make the best of it.

            More to come...

            Comment


            • #7
              From what little experience I have with Sean, I think he could hold any board position that the SDGA has and do a solid job.

              He also is someone who seems to speak his mind without creating conflict, which is a trait that I think has value.
              We're at our best when it's from our hips

              Comment


              • #8
                Sean for Steward

                Originally posted by Parks View Post
                From what little experience I have with Sean, I think he could hold any board position that the SDGA has and do a solid job.

                He also is someone who seems to speak his mind without creating conflict, which is a trait that I think has value.
                I think Steve and Lyle have a great idea. I appreciate Sean's compelling and professional comments. I'm going to hop on the Nominations thread and make it official. I hope Sean will accecpt.

                Comment


                • #9
                  Well after Sean's campaign I feel I should write something. However I also agree he would make an amazing President after that "speech".

                  I do travel a lot, I'm rarely on the forum, I'm rarely at the public courses, nor do I have a desire to be a politician. I do however have a desire to allow the club members knowledge of SDGA meetings when they are not able to be present. I as well take good notes, and in addition to that I am willing to transcribe entire meetings for review for anyone not in attendance. Over the past two years most of the club members have been kept in the dark as to what is really going on with the club, and that is NOT how a club should be run. We all gave our money to help support the club, and we ALL would like to know what is happening. Reading minutes and reports in part would help absentee members know more about what is happening.

                  See you all Thursday.

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    Vote Nancy!!

                    Originally posted by Nancyjo9 View Post
                    ... I do however have a desire to allow the club members knowledge of SDGA meetings when they are not able to be present. ...I am willing to transcribe entire meetings for review for anyone not in attendance. ...we ALL would like to know what is happening...
                    Nancy, thanks for your comments. I think you would fill the Secretary position very well. It would be wonderful to get your level headed and professional characterisitcs on the Board.

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      First off, I really appreciate the votes of confidence from everyone.

                      I accepted the nomination for Secretary because I am confident that I can fulfill the duties of the position. The position may have fewer responsibilities, but it's still a voting board slot and I would take it seriously. The board as a whole also has responsibilities that go beyond their individual positions. However, I will admit that I am probably being a little overzealous and some of the ideas that I am putting forth are stretching the limits of the job description .

                      I have definitely considered running for the position of President, but I still haven't really decided if I am the right guy for the job. That position is definitely a bigger time commitment, and I have no intention of taking on something if I can't follow through for the whole term. This is not to say that I am not interested, I just need a few days to make a decision.

                      Again, thanks for the second nomination! I will hopefully see you all tomorrow.
                      Last edited by Sean Johnson; December 14th, 2011, 07:45 PM.

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        To the club and board-

                        I would like to officially withdraw from the election to be the Secretary of the SDGA.

                        My decision to run was based largely on my desire to be involved in the Camp Sekani project. With the formation of Disc Golf Uprising, I feel that my main inspiration for running is no longer a factor.

                        This is not to say that I am not interested in the SDGA or that I will not support their upcoming projects, I am simply no longer ready to make a two-year commitment to the club.

                        I have also taken on significant additional responsibilities at work, which would severely curtail my ability to serve the club (in addition to expecting my first child). To be honest, this decision has come as a bit of a relief to me.

                        I intend to maintain a dual membership with both clubs, though I currently have no plans to pursue any board positions that may open with Disc Golf Uprising.

                        Thank you all for your support and I wish all prospective candidates the best of luck in the coming election. I wish I could have given more notice, but it has only been a matter of days since we received final approval from the club and from the Parks Department.

                        -Sean Johnson

                        Comment

                        Announcement Announcement Module
                        Collapse
                        No announcement yet.
                        Working...
                        X