X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

What I've Been Doing...

Some might wonder what I’ve been doing in the last two years. So, I’ve listed some of my accomplishments that I’m happy to tell you about.
    Jeff Crum – President SDGA – 2010 - 2012

To help players have more fun. I’ve been working way too hard to make things better. I’ve had a passion to make the courses fully functional for new players and old hands at the sport. Perhaps you didn’t know who was behind the recent changes, and it’s just plain true that I’ve initiated more than 90% of the improvements that have been done in the last 2 years. I’ve also led the way in the effort to establish new courses in our area. Would you vote for me in 2012?

High Bridge Park
     With volunteer help from Justin Shrack and others, built new tee pads for holes #1 and #5 with new foundation and Tee Pad material.
     Urged that new Benches be installed and for holes #5, #6, #12, #16, & 18.
     Purchased paint and with the help of volunteers painted the benches.
     With Justin Shrack’s help, I moved the benches on Holes #8 and #1 into functional positions.
     Built a stencil and painted new 10’ x 5’ Tee Sign rectangles on the asphalt for holes #2, 11, 12 & 14.
     With volunteer help, I removed all the old sign frames and hauled them to the dump.
     Sold 18 sponsorship/ads for every hole. Raised $1,175.00 in cash and $375.00 in trade for design and printing. The cost of the sign materials was a total of $370.77. This included the sign frames, hardware & polycarbonate covering for each sign. Our profit for this program was $849.23. So, we actually earned $47.17 for the Club on each sponsored Tee Sign.
     Design and printing were traded for advertising on the signs.
     Carefully measured each hole to insure that accurate distances were placed on each Tee Sign.
     Led work crews to install and paint the new Tee Sign frames.
     Motivated a member to put in 12 anchor covers were made and installed at the holes that have alternates.
     Initiated and followed through with the process to apply and receive a grant from the Latah Community through the Community Development organization. We received a grant in the amount of $900.00+ to build Kiosks and pay for other improvements.
     With volunteer help I designed, purchased materials, built, and roofed two Kiosks of new materials. Many thanks to David Smith, Henny Deck & Steve Kuiper.
     Created the signage for both Kiosks.
     Assisted in the design of new Tee Signs which are on the course.
     Led the effort to enter into an agreement with the Spokane Park Foundation to have them become our Qualified Fiscal Agent. They will be in essence our 501-C-3 organization. Now, donors will receive tax credit when they contribute to the SDGA.
     Initiated the process of pursuing a grant from the Spokane Park Foundation. We received a grant in the amount of $4,815.00 to improve access on the elevated Holes at High Bridge Park. Justin Shrack wrote the grant.
     Urged the Board to buy and install a new practice basket near Hole #11 at High Bridge
     Contacted and followed through with the process of having the architectural firm of Shelly and VanVoorhees re-work a map of High Bridge Park to reflect the current layout. These awesome maps are located in the Kiosks at the park.
     Designed and created ‘sign frames’ that easily attach to the top backs of the Tee Signs so that sponsorship information can be attached for tournaments etc., instead of covering up the Tee Sign information with flyers.
     Designed, created, and maintained the ‘Basket Icons’ which identify the current pin positions.

Downriver
     Removed and refinished all the Tee Signs.
     Invited Feldberg to the 2010 Downriver Open. Arranged for 2 clinics to be offered in putting and driving. These were well-attended. Dave also won the tournament setting a record at 10 under.
     Arranged for 24 yards of crushed basalt gravel to fill the pot holes in the parking lot. The excess was used to create 4 Tee Pads.
     Requested that the City’s backhoe operator dig a new easy-access trail through the dirt barrier for easier entry to the course.
     Sold 16 Sponsorships for the Downriver Course. Raising $1,300.00 in cash and $375.00 in trade for design and printing. This effort brought in money for the SDGA and cost them nothing.
     Initiated the idea that a practice basket be installed. I kept at it until one was installed in the spring of 2011.
     Worked in compliance with the City to re-work several holes to comply with their rules concerning erosion. This resulted in the changes on holes 2, 3, 14 & 15.

Peoples Park
     Initiated the meeting that opened up this area for Disc Golf.
     Designed and established the 1st temporary ‘bucket’ course at People’s Park

Other Events
     Planned and manned a booth at the inaugural Summer Parkway events held between Riverfront and Corbin Park.
     Participated and encouraged members to attend the annual Spokane River Clean up Event held in September.
     Participated in the Sekani Adventure Day at Camp Sekani.

Camp Sekani
     2009 – Prior to being on the SDGA board I researched and discovered that ‘Frisbee Golf’ was included in the 50 page Beacon Hill Master Plan. The next day I walked the property with Mike Aho the author of the Master Plan to begin to establish the boundaries of the property for Disc Golf.
     May 18th 2011 – Tapped by Taylor Bressler – The City Parks Operations Manager to make a proposal and design for Camp Sekani. Spent over 50 hours and came up with a 27-hole design and 11 page proposal. I delivered this to him on July 1st 2011. I kept in contact with Taylor and Mike throughout the spring, summer and fall until they finally decided to shut the door on People’s Park and give us the green light for Sekani. My original design of 27 holes was tweaked with Jeremy Thornton’s help in October, into two 18 hole courses. Jeremy is a very skilled ‘hands on’ type of golfer.
     After about 10 visits of dumpster diving at the Greenstone and Condron homes building sites I was able to scrounge enough scrap 2x4’s and used 5-gallon buckets to build 38 ‘bucket stand’ temporary Disc Golf targets. These were brought and laid out for the courses in September 2011. These are my buckets as I paid for the gas, screws, saw blades etc. myself. This cost the SDGA absolutely nothing.
    The lower course known as Jamboree has 6,300 feet and two, Par 4’s. It is the longest and possibly the most difficult course in the Spokane area.

A small sampling of player comments about the Sekani, Jamboree – Temporary ‘bucket’ Course:

Joshua – “This is the only course I play!”
    Jeremy – “I haven’t played anything else in over a month!”
    Alex – “This course is awesome!”
    Player – “Thanks so much for putting this together!”
    Patrick – “I love this course!”

On Saturday December 10th 2011 – There were probably 40 people playing the course during the 2 hour period that I was there, and I only played 12 holes. They were all having fun. I saw a lot of smiling faces, and heard a lot of grateful remarks.

Pay Close Attention

So, I ask you, do you want a leader who is ready, willing, and able to get things done? Or do you want the SDGA to revert back to the leadership of 2009? What, you might ask were the accomplishments of 2009? Well, Gordy announced it at the election meeting of that year. “All we did this year is put garbage cans at Downriver…” That job, my friends probably took them one day.
    My guess is that Gordy and his supporters are endorsing Tim Nevins. I very much doubt that they are voting for Jeremy Thornton. Don’t get me wrong, Tim is a great guy, he will be an excellent facilitator and he’s a great communicator. But let’s forget the popularity, the ‘talking’ skills and who’s endorsing who for a moment and consider which of those two candidates has worked harder for building and growing Disc Golf in this area? Who has been a ‘hands on’ person, getting dirty and putting in a lot of energy for the Disc Golf community? And finally, who has more time to devote to the courses? You can tell from the list of stuff that I’ve done that I value the folks who have the ‘get ‘er done’ attitude.
    Some have criticized my involvement in hands on work at our courses. Why, they query have I been doing someone else’s job. That’s so unfair. I’ll tell you exactly why I’ve been ‘doing someone else’s job’ and that’s because I didn't think that they'd been doing their job! For example Eric Brown is a great Disc Golfer and a good guy, but he didn’t get a lot done for our courses prior to his fading out of the picture as the FC. I waited for about 5 or 6 months to see what was going to happen and when I realized that nothing was going to happen, I started doing the work myself. Now on the other hand, Jon V. has done some stuff. He’s helped with Tee Pads, benches and what all. However during his tenure I also realized that he didn’t have time or the inclination to do some stuff, so I just rolled up my sleeves and did the work. Who on the current candidate roster do you think will be more likely to do that? That, my friends is the kind of person the SDGA needs. I don’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that Tim V. will be a great hands-on worker. We need more hands on workers. They get @$#%$#@ done!
    Forget about who Gordy is supporting or who is the most ‘politically correct’ or whatever. We need some people with an ample supply of good old elbow grease.
    I would recommend that you carefully consider what’s important to our courses, the record of the candidates, and vote accordingly.
    Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I won’t be on the ballot this year. Other opportunities have arisen and I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Jeff Crum
    President - SDGA

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”
    Proverbs 19:21
    Rely on Me

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Pilot View Post
      Some might wonder what I’ve been doing in the last two years. So, I’ve listed some of my accomplishments that I’m happy to tell you about.
      Jeff Crum – President SDGA – 2010 - 2012

To help players have more fun. I’ve been working way too hard to make things better. I’ve had a passion to make the courses fully functional for new players and old hands at the sport. Perhaps you didn’t know who was behind the recent changes, and it’s just plain true that I’ve initiated more than 90% of the improvements that have been done in the last 2 years. I’ve also led the way in the effort to establish new courses in our area. Would you vote for me in 2012?

High Bridge Park
       With volunteer help from Justin Shrack and others, built new tee pads for holes #1 and #5 with new foundation and Tee Pad material.
       Urged that new Benches be installed and for holes #5, #6, #12, #16, & 18.
       Purchased paint and with the help of volunteers painted the benches.
       With Justin Shrack’s help, I moved the benches on Holes #8 and #1 into functional positions.
       Built a stencil and painted new 10’ x 5’ Tee Sign rectangles on the asphalt for holes #2, 11, 12 & 14.
       With volunteer help, I removed all the old sign frames and hauled them to the dump.
       Sold 18 sponsorship/ads for every hole. Raised $1,175.00 in cash and $375.00 in trade for design and printing. The cost of the sign materials was a total of $370.77. This included the sign frames, hardware & polycarbonate covering for each sign. Our profit for this program was $849.23. So, we actually earned $47.17 for the Club on each sponsored Tee Sign.
       Design and printing were traded for advertising on the signs.
       Carefully measured each hole to insure that accurate distances were placed on each Tee Sign.
       Led work crews to install and paint the new Tee Sign frames.
       Motivated a member to put in 12 anchor covers were made and installed at the holes that have alternates.
       Initiated and followed through with the process to apply and receive a grant from the Latah Community through the Community Development organization. We received a grant in the amount of $900.00+ to build Kiosks and pay for other improvements.
       With volunteer help I designed, purchased materials, built, and roofed two Kiosks of new materials. Many thanks to David Smith, Henny Deck & Steve Kuiper.
       Created the signage for both Kiosks.
       Assisted in the design of new Tee Signs which are on the course.
       Led the effort to enter into an agreement with the Spokane Park Foundation to have them become our Qualified Fiscal Agent. They will be in essence our 501-C-3 organization. Now, donors will receive tax credit when they contribute to the SDGA.
       Initiated the process of pursuing a grant from the Spokane Park Foundation. We received a grant in the amount of $4,815.00 to improve access on the elevated Holes at High Bridge Park. Justin Shrack wrote the grant.
       Urged the Board to buy and install a new practice basket near Hole #11 at High Bridge
       Contacted and followed through with the process of having the architectural firm of Shelly and VanVoorhees re-work a map of High Bridge Park to reflect the current layout. These awesome maps are located in the Kiosks at the park.
       Designed and created ‘sign frames’ that easily attach to the top backs of the Tee Signs so that sponsorship information can be attached for tournaments etc., instead of covering up the Tee Sign information with flyers.
       Designed, created, and maintained the ‘Basket Icons’ which identify the current pin positions.

Downriver
       Removed and refinished all the Tee Signs.
       Invited Feldberg to the 2010 Downriver Open. Arranged for 2 clinics to be offered in putting and driving. These were well-attended. Dave also won the tournament setting a record at 10 under.
       Arranged for 24 yards of crushed basalt gravel to fill the pot holes in the parking lot. The excess was used to create 4 Tee Pads.
       Requested that the City’s backhoe operator dig a new easy-access trail through the dirt barrier for easier entry to the course.
       Sold 16 Sponsorships for the Downriver Course. Raising $1,300.00 in cash and $375.00 in trade for design and printing. This effort brought in money for the SDGA and cost them nothing.
       Initiated the idea that a practice basket be installed. I kept at it until one was installed in the spring of 2011.
       Worked in compliance with the City to re-work several holes to comply with their rules concerning erosion. This resulted in the changes on holes 2, 3, 14 & 15.

Peoples Park
       Initiated the meeting that opened up this area for Disc Golf.
       Designed and established the 1st temporary ‘bucket’ course at People’s Park

Other Events
       Planned and manned a booth at the inaugural Summer Parkway events held between Riverfront and Corbin Park.
       Participated and encouraged members to attend the annual Spokane River Clean up Event held in September.
       Participated in the Sekani Adventure Day at Camp Sekani.

Camp Sekani
       2009 – Prior to being on the SDGA board I researched and discovered that ‘Frisbee Golf’ was included in the 50 page Beacon Hill Master Plan. The next day I walked the property with Mike Aho the author of the Master Plan to begin to establish the boundaries of the property for Disc Golf.
       May 18th 2011 – Tapped by Taylor Bressler – The City Parks Operations Manager to make a proposal and design for Camp Sekani. Spent over 50 hours and came up with a 27-hole design and 11 page proposal. I delivered this to him on July 1st 2011. I kept in contact with Taylor and Mike throughout the spring, summer and fall until they finally decided to shut the door on People’s Park and give us the green light for Sekani. My original design of 27 holes was tweaked with Jeremy Thornton’s help in October, into two 18 hole courses. Jeremy is a very skilled ‘hands on’ type of golfer.
       After about 10 visits of dumpster diving at the Greenstone and Condron homes building sites I was able to scrounge enough scrap 2x4’s and used 5-gallon buckets to build 38 ‘bucket stand’ temporary Disc Golf targets. These were brought and laid out for the courses in September 2011. These are my buckets as I paid for the gas, screws, saw blades etc. myself. This cost the SDGA absolutely nothing.
      The lower course known as Jamboree has 6,300 feet and two, Par 4’s. It is the longest and possibly the most difficult course in the Spokane area.

A small sampling of player comments about the Sekani, Jamboree – Temporary ‘bucket’ Course:

Joshua – “This is the only course I play!”
      Jeremy – “I haven’t played anything else in over a month!”
      Alex – “This course is awesome!”
      Player – “Thanks so much for putting this together!”
      Patrick – “I love this course!”

On Saturday December 10th 2011 – There were probably 40 people playing the course during the 2 hour period that I was there, and I only played 12 holes. They were all having fun. I saw a lot of smiling faces, and heard a lot of grateful remarks.

Pay Close Attention

So, I ask you, do you want a leader who is ready, willing, and able to get things done? Or do you want the SDGA to revert back to the leadership of 2009? What, you might ask were the accomplishments of 2009? Well, Gordy announced it at the election meeting of that year. “All we did this year is put garbage cans at Downriver…” That job, my friends probably took them one day.
      My guess is that Gordy and his supporters are endorsing Tim Nevins. I very much doubt that they are voting for Jeremy Thornton. Don’t get me wrong, Tim is a great guy, he will be an excellent facilitator and he’s a great communicator. But let’s forget the popularity, the ‘talking’ skills and who’s endorsing who for a moment and consider which of those two candidates has worked harder for building and growing Disc Golf in this area? Who has been a ‘hands on’ person, getting dirty and putting in a lot of energy for the Disc Golf community? And finally, who has more time to devote to the courses? You can tell from the list of stuff that I’ve done that I value the folks who have the ‘get ‘er done’ attitude.
      Some have criticized my involvement in hands on work at our courses. Why, they query have I been doing someone else’s job. That’s so unfair. I’ll tell you exactly why I’ve been ‘doing someone else’s job’ and that’s because I didn't think that they'd been doing their job! For example Eric Brown is a great Disc Golfer and a good guy, but he didn’t get a lot done for our courses prior to his fading out of the picture as the FC. I waited for about 5 or 6 months to see what was going to happen and when I realized that nothing was going to happen, I started doing the work myself. Now on the other hand, Jon V. has done some stuff. He’s helped with Tee Pads, benches and what all. However during his tenure I also realized that he didn’t have time or the inclination to do some stuff, so I just rolled up my sleeves and did the work. Who on the current candidate roster do you think will be more likely to do that? That, my friends is the kind of person the SDGA needs. I don’t know for sure, but I have a feeling that Tim V. will be a great hands-on worker. We need more hands on workers. They get @$#%$#@ done!
      Forget about who Gordy is supporting or who is the most ‘politically correct’ or whatever. We need some people with an ample supply of good old elbow grease.
      I would recommend that you carefully consider what’s important to our courses, the record of the candidates, and vote accordingly.
      Sorry to disappoint anyone, but I won’t be on the ballot this year. Other opportunities have arisen and I’ve got bigger fish to fry.

Jeff Crum
      President - SDGA

“Many are the plans in a man’s heart, but it is the Lord’s purpose that prevails.”
      Proverbs 19:21
      Wow! Thank you, Jeff

Comment

I am throwing my hat in the ring for the F.C. again. I would like to see projects that i have been apart of, through to completion.
        Thank You, Jon Verbarg
        Remember this is what we do for fun!

Comment

Jeff, the humble servant does the work and moves on...duly noted by at least one if that is what you need...

As for who supports me...??? Gordy has my life-long respect.

He is a good friend - opinionated, tustworthy and honest in his dealings.

Smarter than most of his detractors, "yes".

Ask him how frustrating it is to be friends with me!

Sorry if I am reading too much into our mutual respect for each other, Gordy...

Let me know if I need additional prerequisites or assumed "buddies" to run for office. Tim

Comment

Election Results

The election was conducted last night at the Field House on Wellesley. Out of 75 current members 47 voted. There was one ballot submitted that was not marked. The new SDGA Board Officers are;

President - Tim Nevins - 42, Jeremy Thornton - 4

Secretary - Nancy Morgan - 36, Sean Johnson - 10

Facilities Coordinator - Jon Verbarg - 29, Tim Vache - 17

Congratulations to our new officers.

The SDGA Board talked with the DGU leadership last night after the election concerning membership transfers.

For those members that did not vote and wish to transfer their membership dues to the Disc Golf Uprising, you will have until the end of January 2012 to contact the SDGA Membership Whip, Joe Barnett and make that wish known to him. Joe will report the count to Gordy in February and Gordy will issue a check to the DGU.
            Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

4 votes is pretty good for somebody who wasn't running
              Relax and enjoy your hair
              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Procedures for 2013?

Wondering what the procedures are for 2013? Slightly behind schedule it seems. Who's up for re-election?
                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                  Wondering what the procedures are for 2013? Slightly behind schedule it seems. Who's up for re-election?
                  from what i hear Bob and GOrdy are just gonna appoint someone to the postions ..It is just thier club ...

Comment

Nancy says:

Nancy says: Hopefully the election is only about a month behind schedule. There are NO appointments scheduled. (Stimp says: but thanks for stirring the pot, Psychodwarf, it always helps)

We're working on a location and dates for the election.
                    If you want to nominate someone, or yourself, then start a 2013 NOMINATIONS thread on this forum.
                    Positions up for reelection are Membership Whip (vacant, was Joe Barnett), Treasurer (Gordy Crafts), and Public Relations (Bob Perrewe).

Stimpi says: No one seems to be eager, or even interested in elections (except Jeremy in a sarcastic way) and no one has offered themselves or anyone else up for any position in the club. In the past two years the club has improved both it's courses with new teepads, steps and walking paths, pin placements, and more. (thanks to all the workers)
                    The SDGA is alive and well and doing good work. If someone out there wants to step up and do better work, then offer yourself up for office in the club.

Back to Nancy: As Secretary, I've encouraged elections to happen, yet through circumstances unforseen, it hasn't happened... yet.
                    Please be patient.
                    Nancy

Comment

Nancy, Thank you for trying to push for the elections to happen. We all know that the officers have been the people that have facilitated the elections in the past. It was strange to write out the post I did. I waited for few weeks thinking that it would be any day now. I think it makes more sense to have it start after the 1st when people are all done with their holiday stuff. Just hasn't been a precedent for it.
                      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

2013 SDGA Annual Election

[QUOTE=Stimpi;131193]Nancy says: Hopefully the election is only about a month behind schedule. Gordy says: The election will take place within the time frame set forth in the SDGA Charter.

We're working on a location and dates for the election.
                        If you want to nominate someone, or yourself, then start a 2013 NOMINATIONS thread on this forum. Gordy Says: You need to be a current Member to nominate candidates or run for office
                        Positions up for reelection are Membership Whip (vacant, was Joe Barnett), Treasurer (Gordy Crafts), and Public Relations (Bob Perrewe).

Stimpi says: No one seems to be eager, or even interested in election. Gordy says: The Board has designated Tim Nevins as the primary Elections Official and I beleive Nancy and Jon Verbarg and others will assist. I think they may also be handling new memberships and renewals on the day of the election....
                        The SDGA is alive and well and doing good work. If someone out there wants to step up and do better work, then offer yourself up for office in the club.

Back to Nancy: As Secretary, I've encouraged elections to happen, yet through circumstances unforseen, it hasn't happened... yet.
                        Please be patient.
                        Gordy says: Bob, our PR Guy will make an announcement in the morning inviting new membership and renewals. Nominations, candidacy and elections will follow; details for procedures, dates and other details will be forthcoming from the Elections Officials. Thank You for your patience.Have a Happy, Happy, Safe New Year. Gordy

Comment

On a side note...what happened to the SDGA website? Everytime I've tried to access it over the last couple of months all I get is a 'firewall' alert. Is the site still up? Did the web address change?

Comment

Originally posted by SeanT00 View Post
                            On a side note...what happened to the SDGA website? Everytime I've tried to access it over the last couple of months all I get is a 'firewall' alert. Is the site still up? Did the web address change?
                            The SDGA Website is not available at this time. We hope to have a new SDGA site back up as soon as possible.
                            Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X