• Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sekani Process

I thought this needed a new start.

Right now Jeremy has a working concept for the property. 2x18
    Gordy has proposed a Tom Schot.

Anybody else have any ideas?

Each design should offer as many different configuration as possible.
    two 18's, one 27, some sort of shorter version. super duper pooper scooper long

Is there some sort of deadline?

"2012 SDGA membership?"
    " Makes a great X-Mas gift!"
    rewindb.com

Just to clarify something- the designs that are currently laid out are actually the product of both Jeremy and Jeff Crum. Just sayin'

I personally would prefer a 2x18 layout. There was more than enough property for the two 18-hole layouts before they gave us another 40 acres to work with. As stated by others before, it would be especially advantageous to have two courses during tournaments. Two pools could mean faster play and better flow during small tournaments and it could also make hosting large tournaments easier from a logistical standpoint. I also like the idea of an easier, more accessible course that would occupy the chuckers on busy days, leaving the gold-level upper course empty for the rest of us.

I do wonder about the interaction with the bikers on the lower portion of the Jamboree course. If we start the Jam course any further up the hill, it will not appeal to as many people, but if we try and mesh with the bike trails too much, we might have some conflicts down the road. I am not saying that we should give up on the lower portion, I just think that we should proceed carefully in that area as there seems to be a higher density of trails.

The upper course should be both physically and technically punishing; the kind of course that builds a fearsome reputation for crushing scores, bodies, and dreams during tournaments. Use of elevation should be the top consideration when designing a hole, as well as sloping greens and fairways. I'd like to see holes with a good view off of teepad and at the basket.

Both courses should be safe, balanced, and incorporate as much variety as possible. If possible, the courses should be designed with alternate pin placements/teepads in mind and not just be an afterthought. Speaking of teepads- are we really considering concrete? I'm all for some nice pads, but damn that's a big hill!

Comment

1st

According to the Parks Dept the first step in the process will be for the Bike Club and the SDGA to have all their set-backs, limitations and exclusions all laid out and all above board. The Parks Dept. will also have it's own list of exclusions. Some of these are known at present and some are not. The biggest exclusion coming from the Parks Dept. involves the main green area. That excluded area includes the large green, the 200' or so of the forest that leads up to the first line of rock outcroppings and the rock outcroppings themselves which will be a climbing area. The area just to the west of the large green will be dedicated to an archery range to be built in 2013 and is not available to us. Further, the 40 acres referred to by Sean above is only an option of last resort. It is by no means pledged to us at this time. The Parks Dept. has not yet asked for this on our behalf because there is a need to maintain a wildlife corridor somewhere through the Beacon Hill Trail System and this 40 acre piece of conservancy futures property may well be reserved for that. This is the most up-to-date information we have from the Parks Dept and much more remains to be settled.
      The discussions going among Board Members of course includes the possibility of 2x18., but it also includes the idea of a major 18 with an optional 9 hole upper loop to provide for both an 18 and a 27 in relatively the same space. Also under consideration is the idea of an "intro" course of either 9 or 18 holes to accommodate the youthful, the aged, and the inexperienced. This notion would also help to address the problem of congestion in the lower southeast area.
      There is no promise that we are entitled to two courses. The sooner we enter into an amicable relationship with the Bike Club the better we'll be able to get started on any of this. Gordy

Comment

That's all good info chef.

Has the PR guy contacted the Bike club yet? We should find out when their (bike club) next three meetings are.
        1. First one: to just get a feel for them and to introduce the two clubs. I would suggest at least three people attend and don't sit together
        2. Second one: to actually introduce the project managers# (both should have one) We should also be prepared to support their agenda
        3. Third one: to update progress on actual project.
        # SDGA should solicit interested parties for the Sekani project manager for consideration at it's January Club meeting.
        rewindb.com

Comment

Has anyone photographed or video'd the property?
          rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
            According to the Parks Dept the first step in the process will be for the Bike Club and the SDGA to have all their set-backs, limitations and exclusions all laid out and all above board. The Parks Dept. will also have it's own list of exclusions. Some of these are known at present and some are not. The biggest exclusion coming from the Parks Dept. involves the main green area. That excluded area includes the large green, the 200' or so of the forest that leads up to the first line of rock outcroppings and the rock outcroppings themselves which will be a climbing area. The area just to the west of the large green will be dedicated to an archery range to be built in 2013 and is not available to us. Further, the 40 acres referred to by Sean above is only an option of last resort. It is by no means pledged to us at this time. The Parks Dept. has not yet asked for this on our behalf because there is a need to maintain a wildlife corridor somewhere through the Beacon Hill Trail System and this 40 acre piece of conservancy futures property may well be reserved for that. This is the most up-to-date information we have from the Parks Dept and much more remains to be settled.
            The discussions going among Board Members of course includes the possibility of 2x18., but it also includes the idea of a major 18 with an optional 9 hole upper loop to provide for both an 18 and a 27 in relatively the same space. Also under consideration is the idea of an "intro" course of either 9 or 18 holes to accommodate the youthful, the aged, and the inexperienced. This notion would also help to address the problem of congestion in the lower southeast area.
            There is no promise that we are entitled to two courses. The sooner we enter into an amicable relationship with the Bike Club the better we'll be able to get started on any of this. Gordy
            I can see that your job of being the treasurer has been slightly expanded.. I am sure that you must have sought board approval before taking these duty's on yourself?? It's interesting that you are trying to undermine a relationship that has already been fruitful and that you would do the exact same thing that you complained about another board member doing. You complained bitterly about how the board and the club was excluded from a meeting with the parks and bike people and than you do the exact same thing? This next meeting could be a repaet of the last.. except the other way a-round.
            Relax and enjoy your hair
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Speaking of undermining relationships....

Posted by Yoduh in a previous thread:

Quote: "By putting their bike trails in danger we have successfully lobbied to get different unused chunks of land to use for our course." Unquote.

If this isn't undermining the relationships between disc golfers, mountain bikers, and the city parks officials, I don't know what is.

Jeremy, aren't you concerned about injuring a mountain biker?
              Last edited by coryreu; November 27th, 2011, 03:21 PM. Reason: yep

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                I can see that your job of being the treasurer has been slightly expanded.. I am sure that you must have sought board approval before taking these duty's on yourself?? It's interesting that you are trying to undermine a relationship that has already been fruitful and that you would do the exact same thing that you complained about another board member doing. You complained bitterly about how the board and the club was excluded from a meeting with the parks and bike people and than you do the exact same thing? This next meeting could be a repaet of the last.. except the other way a-round.
                Just so everyone knows, Gordy got a call from Mike Aho to set up a meeting with Gordy, the bike club and himself. The meeting was concerning bike riders and the fact that some golfing was very close to some bike riding.

Gordy agreed to the meeting and while the three entities where up walking the property, Gordy was informed of the parameters of where Parks expected disc golf to be and explicitly where disc golf was not supposed to be. Some of the temporary courses fall into the no go zones.

I received Gordy's report on Nov. 22 and told him I would post it. Somehow it slipped my attention and I forgot to post it on this thread. The report is attached at the bottom of this post.

Gordy, I apologize for spacing this out and not posting it in the timely manner you requested.

Gordy asked me to call Mike Aho and have the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that Mike was putting together from the meeting emailed to me for dissemination to the Board. I hope to have the MOU sometime this week.
                Last edited by Wobbly Bob; November 28th, 2011, 06:54 AM.
                Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                  Just so everyone knows, Gordy got a call from Mike Aho to set up a meeting with Gordy, the bike club and himself. The meeting was concerning bike riders and the fact that some golfing was very close to some bike riding.

Gordy agreed to the meeting and while the three entities where up walking the property, Gordy was informed of the parameters of where Parks expected disc golf to be and explicitly where disc golf was not supposed to be. Some of the temporary courses fall into the no go zones.

I received Gordy's report on Nov. 22 and told him I would post it. Somehow it slipped my attention and I forgot to post it on this thread. The report is attached at the bottom of this post.

Gordy, I apologize for spacing this out and not posting it in the timely manner you requested.

Gordy asked me to call Mike Aho and have the Memorandum of Understanding (MOU) that Mike was putting together from the meeting emailed to me for dissemination to the Board. I hope to have the MOU sometime this week.
                  Hahaha.. What a joke!!! You guys clearly make stuff up as you go!!!! I do not believe for one minute that Mike called Gordy.. Considering that Mike and Jeff have been talking on a weekly basis. Mike was surprised that Jeff wasn't there.
                  So Gordy sets up a meeting and tells Bob, Bob doesn't tell anybody. Gordy tells Corey Davis though. Somehow you think Gordy is off the hook for not telling the board or the club?????? The rules only apply to others Gordy and Bob?
                  I volunteer to chair the next club MEMBER meeting. It is a member meeting and therefore it should be ran by a member. Since I volunteered, I think it's a great idea.
                  TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

There are NO bikers in danger with or current layout!! Do not pretend that there are!! You know first hand that I carefully consider any and all danger before putting ANYTHING up that I expect people to play. I would never allow in my craziest nightmare design something as dangerous as Downriver. You do shoot near and over trails. The line of sight is always such that you can see where anybody might be. We play over paths at Downriver and at HB. All golfers know that you have to wait until any person is clear for you to throw. It's common sense.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Design "Team" ?

There are NO bikers in danger with or current layout!! Do not pretend that there are!! You know first hand that I carefully consider any and all danger before putting ANYTHING up that I expect people to play. I would never allow in my craziest nightmare design something as dangerous as Downriver. You do shoot near and over trails. The line of sight is always such that you can see where anybody might be. We play over paths at Downriver and at HB. All golfers know that you have to wait until any person is clear for you to throw. It's common sense.
                      Jeremy, we'd like to have a very nice, fun, safe course there. Maybe two of them, or maybe a 27 holer. Whatever "the club" decides to do, it's obviously NOT going to be what's already there. There are things you aren't taking under consideration. Several/many of the holes are in unusable areas, whether Jeff was there or not. Your reasoning of designing a dangerous course because we already have one, doesn't hold water. None of us want to injure a biker, walker, or other disc golfer, so one of the TOP priorities in the course design will be safety. Agree? Or are you just going to be obstinate about YOUR current design as being the best thing ever?
                      I'd like to see you work on the design, but it would be nice to see you work WITH the club, rather than against it.
                      As far a a meeting with Mike Aho, we actually got some solid information for a change, instead of what you and Jeff decide WE need to know. Apparently, what you and Jeff "know" isn't quite right, so try to understand and work within the parameters.

Comment

member Chairperson

I volunteer to chair the next club MEMBER meeting. It is a member meeting and therefore it should be ran by a member. Since I volunteered, I think it's a great idea.
                        I don't think anyone has a problem with you chairing the meeting. You do understand that the Chair is in the position of leading the meeting, not dominating it, right? You must listen to what's being said, by all sides present, pay attention to others that want to say something, and attempt to be as fair as possible to all members present.
                        Nothing to it. You just have to figure out how do deal with 50 different personalities, with 25 different ideas to discuss, and do it without anyone complaining that you were playing favorites.
                        I'm happy to see how you handle a meeting.

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpi View Post
                          I don't think anyone has a problem with you chairing the meeting. You do understand that the Chair is in the position of leading the meeting, not dominating it, right? You must listen to what's being said, by all sides present, pay attention to others that want to say something, and attempt to be as fair as possible to all members present.
                          Nothing to it. You just have to figure out how do deal with 50 different personalities, with 25 different ideas to discuss, and do it without anyone complaining that you were playing favorites.
                          I'm happy to see how you handle a meeting.
                          If you had done any of things than you could talk.
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Jeremy, we'd like to have a very nice, fun, safe course there. Maybe two of them, or maybe a 27 holer. Whatever "the club" decides to do, it's obviously NOT going to be what's already there. There are things you aren't taking under consideration. Several/many of the holes are in unusable areas, whether Jeff was there or not. Your reasoning of designing a dangerous course because we already have one, doesn't hold water. None of us want to injure a biker, walker, or other disc golfer, so one of the TOP priorities in the course design will be safety. Agree? Or are you just going to be obstinate about YOUR current design as being the best thing ever?
                            I'd like to see you work on the design, but it would be nice to see you work WITH the club, rather than against it.
                            As far a a meeting with Mike Aho, we actually got some solid information for a change, instead of what you and Jeff decide WE need to know. Apparently, what you and Jeff "know" isn't quite right, so try to understand and work within the parameters.
                            My idea was never to design a dangerous course. The one that is there is not dangerous. I am well aware that if the current flow/design will need to be changed. Whats actually happening is that we are in a process of figuring out what will work for both the bike riders and the disc golfers. We have been told that we were given certain areas and than told differently. It is really easy and completely against disc golfers best interests to have Gordy involved with this process.. I have never in my entire life heard somebody decide who was going to design a course and how many holes it was going to be with out even looking at the property. I would never send somebody to negotiate about a chunk of land who doesn't have the background not the interest in securing as much land as we possibly can. It is really easy for Gordy to say oh, ok, we can't have that and drop it because we don't need a maximum of amount of land to do what he wants. Having two courses will BY FAR serve our club the best. If you do realize that doubling the amount of holes in this town is the best thing for it. You have a problem with reality. There are more and more golfers and our courses get more crowded by the day. So if you actually want concrete results you should allow the person who has worked this situation where it is to continue to do so. I think that having any interested board member at the next park meeting is more than ok. I would ask that any board member to attend but that they should realize that they are there to watch and learn what a negotiation looks like and mostly listen. As it was it sounds like Gordy only knows how to listen and not how to attain things for us. Stimpi, when was the last time you played at Sekani? It has only been in is current layout for about a week.
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I never claim to be impartial. I'm totally partial to the Spokane Disc Golf Association and it's role in the development of disc golf in the area. The Sekani courses are being presented as an SDGA project, yet only one board member, and one member at large, are privy to the information around this project yet tons of permanent development is being done.
                              That's not the way our club has ever operated in the past, and the City Officials we've dealt with appreciate that fact.
                              The meeting needs to be facilitated by someone, and everyone already knows where I stand. I'm not going to monoplize the meeting, just see that all the issues are addressed and everyone who want to speak will get a chance to speak. Robert's Rules of Order y'know.
                              See you soon.
                              Stimp
                              Hard to see you as impartial when you allow 5 people to ask a question back to back to back to back to back in a slightly different way, all the while not actually stopping the onslaught of questions so that the person being yelled at can answer the question.
                              I am pro as much disc golf as this city can get!
                              Last edited by Yoduh; November 28th, 2011, 11:07 PM. Reason: Spellin
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X