X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
    The discussion was specifically about whether the Club contact to the Park's Dept. reservered the right to designate himself as Sekani course designer and designate the courses as finalized prior to these options being presented back to the Board.
    Jeff was perfectly clear in his original announcement that his layout work was preliminary, and any final design would have to be approved by the full board.
    Last edited by Timber; November 9th, 2011, 07:54 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by Timber View Post
      Jeff was perfectly clear in his original announcement that his layout work was preliminary, and any final design would have to be approved by the full board.
      And the design is already on the ground and the Board has not been asked to approve said design at this point. Will concrete go in before the design is approved?
      Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Trying to get started but its already done

Since the 'green light' news first broke the board has made every effort to convene in order to take the first step forward. In the pre-meeting discussions among ourselves we made it very clear that designating a project manager would be a solid beginning. Further, we spoke about enlisting the services of an independent designer who we have identified in a previous post. (which could be obtained at little or no cost to the Club)
        When we met as a Board on Tuesday we were joined by the team that is doing the preliminary work at Sekani and were told by them that it is too late to pursue another course of action.(All the logistics meetings with the bike club had already taken place and all the Parks officials had already come and gone and would not be back) From these pronouncements I felt that if we engaged an independent designer that Jeff and his team would not be forthcoming with the preliminary guidelines that arose from their confidential meetings prior to the 'green light 'announcement. In this environment I do not feel comfortable having Tom Schot, the independent we have in mind, make travel commitments to come up and get started.
        I wish Jeff had convened the meeting, so that the board could have conducted business and reached some conclusions on this matter and others. In the end it was good to meet the team and hear from them how they had diveed up the park amongst themselves.
        Is this the juncture where we finally accept the formation of a Valley Club? Could this be our point in history where there is finnaly enough to go around? From what I gathered this team has all the essential elements it needs to go forth on its own. Gordy

Comment

I think it would be sad if it's too late to bring in a professional designer. I am not super excited about some of the holes as they currently stand and would be interested to see what an outsider would come up with. Just my 2 cents.

Comment

Camp Crumkani

I played the Jamboree course today, and was very disappointed. Many "dumb" holes, with a couple of "worst holes ever". One involved a huge, steep climb to a nice flat boulder/teepad. The shot was about 200-250ft. across a gully, with another steeper climb down into the gully and back up the other side. Definitely not worth the climb. There were better holes there, but I'm sure they would have encroached on other "designed" holes.
            I was pretty disturbed by all the cutting Jeremy is doing, creating fairways where there are/were none. I understand he has permission from parks to cut anything "hand-around", which I take to mean about 2" in diameter. Many trees cut were quite larger. All this work on an undesigned course. Why? Does Jeff and Jeremy really feel this is the best use of this property? Man, I hope that's not where they're going. It'll be very disappointing as I feel Camp Sekani could be a great course. Nothing great about it so far.
            They seem invested in two 18 hole courses, but I'm not sure that's the best idea. 27 holes, or one huge 18 would seem to make more sense.
            I hope Jeff and Jeremy don't continue in the vein they are going. I wouldn't support SDGA club funds to build this course as it sits and I hope the other members who have been left out of this development feel the same way. If Jeff and Jeremy want to have the whole say, let them start their own club and raise their own funds and then they can do whatever they want. With MY club, I want a vote.
            Furthermore, I would like to see the Club distance itself from the bushwhacking that's being done there. It's not being designed to use "natural corridors" as disc golf courses normally are, yet the cutting is being done to satisfy this precarious design of Jeff and Jeremy's.

Comment

Not Good

Originally posted by Stimpi View Post
              I played the Jamboree course today, and was very disappointed. Many "dumb" holes, with a couple of "worst holes ever". One involved a huge, steep climb to a nice flat boulder/teepad. The shot was about 200-250ft. across a gully, with another steeper climb down into the gully and back up the other side. Definitely not worth the climb. There were better holes there, but I'm sure they would have encroached on other "designed" holes.
              I was pretty disturbed by all the cutting Jeremy is doing, creating fairways where there are/were none. I understand he has permission from parks to cut anything "hand-around", which I take to mean about 2" in diameter. Many trees cut were quite larger. All this work on an undesigned course. Why? Does Jeff and Jeremy really feel this is the best use of this property? Man, I hope that's not where they're going. It'll be very disappointing as I feel Camp Sekani could be a great course. Nothing great about it so far.
              They seem invested in two 18 hole courses, but I'm not sure that's the best idea. 27 holes, or one huge 18 would seem to make more sense.
              I hope Jeff and Jeremy don't continue in the vein they are going. I wouldn't support SDGA club funds to build this course as it sits and I hope the other members who have been left out of this development feel the same way. If Jeff and Jeremy want to have the whole say, let them start their own club and raise their own funds and then they can do whatever they want. With MY club, I want a vote.
              Furthermore, I would like to see the Club distance itself from the bushwhacking that's being done there. It's not being designed to use "natural corridors" as disc golf courses normally are, yet the cutting is being done to satisfy this precarious design of Jeff and Jeremy's.
              If Stimpi, one of the most knowledgeable and well traveled disc golfers in Spokane, is saying that the course is not good. That's bad. Somehow the club needs to nip this in the bud ASAP! The club needs to have a meeting and vote this down and get Tom Schot up here to make this a world class course, while the terrain is still prime.
              Why are there permanent changes being made to a preliminary course design?
              Jeff and Jeremy, if you're willing to listen, I beg you, please stop what you're doing to the land. You're acting quite hastily. My two cents.
              Wait... I have another cent to spend.
              Jeff, when you initially posted your report on Sekani, you offered the opportunity to "would be" designers to come in and try to come up with a better design, which you doubted. Why are you not willing to take on the option of having an "already established" and well known designer come in and help the cause, at little to no cost to the club? Wouldn't that be going against your word?
              Last edited by coryreu; November 11th, 2011, 06:22 AM. Reason: I'm not done yet.

Comment

Stop the Cutting

I implore Jeff and Jeremy to quit cutting at Camp Sekani. The Board has not agreed to any layout as of yet. With no layout approved it seems that the cutting should be considered the actions of outlaws. After reading the last few posts on this thread I think it is time to halt all cutting and put this project into the hands of the SDGA Board. I am documenting the cutting that is being done and there are a bunch of trees that have been cut that are bigger than 2" in diameter. If the Parks Dept. knew we were cutting these larger trees what would they say? Jeff himself said that the work being done was preliminary and any final design would have to be Board approved. Cutting out fairways is not considered preliminary work and no design has been approved.

Comment

All of the branches that have been taken are less than 2'' in diameter. The dumb hole you are referring to will be changed with a shovel and a bit of work. A 27 hole course is an awful idea, dumb is a good word to describe the use of the property in this matter. You wanna see dumb holes, walk out into your yard and look around.
                  Relax and enjoy your hair
                  TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Furthermore I have approval to trim everything that has been trimmed. We had a long meeting with the parks official. Please refrain from passing judgement until the work we are allowed to do is done. Speaking of Tom Shott I have a great story about him. He spoke with a city council woman about a potential course that he wanted to put in. She was interested in letting him put in the course and she said she'd do some checking on it.. 3 months later she contacted him to talk to him about going forward with the project. She asked him how close he was to being ready to start the project. He said he was done with the front 9 and was in the midst of building the the middle 9 of the course.. She thought they were going to have to do an environmental study and that it would be at least another 6 months before he started.. You should have seen the forest he cut this course out of.. It was thick as could possibly be. If you were off of the fairway you were in the crap. The course was pretty good Had about 2 or 3 stupid holes.. It ranked 3rd out of the 4 courses I played at worlds. I like Tom, one of Gordy's old friends. He is a doer.. He gets stuff done. I've played 272 courses in 30 states. I've played at 5 World Championships and designed what Christian Dietrich calls the 2nd best course behind Milo Mcgiver in Estacada Oregon. Milo is on most people's top 5 courses in the world list for those who don't know.. So please, lets not pass judgement until all the horses have come in. Next Saturday I am hosting an event. If its as awful as it can be when you play it.. Come back and post such on Saturday evening, my thoughts are that you will probably be in the minority.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

You're right Tom. The SDGA used to be a viable organization, who built courses, improved those courses, and was considered the "best club in Washington". Then along came our Steward, Jeff, and the club became the Crum show. If Jeff didn't want it to happen, it didn't happen, and if Jeff wanted something to happen, it happened, no matter what the members and Board had to say about it. "the Board" hasn't been able to agree on anything since his inception.
                      Yep, he's getting something done, all right. We all wish we knew what it was? And we wish we had some input.

Comment

Yeah right Stimpi... Your funny!! I remember hearing Gordy brag about getting garbage cans in one years worth of work, right before Jeff was elected.. One guy gets things done. A couple are ankle weights and the other 2 have quit a while ago.... anyway

Next Saturday's event that starts at noon and cost's $10 will be pro am doubles!!!!!
                        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                          All of the branches that have been taken are less than 2'' in diameter. The dumb hole you are referring to will be changed with a shovel and a bit of work. A 27 hole course is an awful idea, dumb is a good word to describe the use of the property in this matter. You wanna see dumb holes, walk out into your yard and look around.
                          Lots of trees (not branches) cut that were larger than 2" but I guess that depends on where you measure the tree. Right?

Are you measuring them at the point that you are cutting them?
                          Last edited by Wobbly Bob; November 12th, 2011, 09:38 AM.

Comment

First of all, this isn't an issue about who's gotten the most done in a given amount of time. And it isn't about who's designing credentials give them the right to build design. It's about getting this major project done right and going through the proper channels to get it done.
                            Secondly, having a meeting with a park official and getting their approval to do something, doesn't mean you just go do it. Minutes from the meeting with the park official should be taken and brought to the attention of the board.( this should be where you break out a tape recorder.)*see below.
                            Lastly, in regards to the idea of.. wait and see what we've done, and then give your opinion... isn't right. Of course good reviews will be given when people come play this course. It's like sticking a great big, shiny, new toy in front of a kid. They love it every time. Disc golfers have a mutual love of throwing discs into baskets. And if you give them a new place to do it, they love it even more.

*Usually when these recordings of conversations between Jeff and park officials are taken, they get written into a report and posted on these forums, which don't show total authenticity. The report sucks all of the air out of the thread right off the bat. Leaving questions to be answered which never are. Seemingly giving Jeff the feeling of accomplishment to do whatever he believes he has earned the right to do. Yes, he's gotten into the good graces of the city parks officials, which is totally and respectably noble. But that doesn't mean he can act solely on his own agenda. Currently, Jeff is only an informative between the city to the board, when he should be more focused on being a representative and co-worker for the SDGA .

Comment

The Ridge dumb holes.

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                              You wanna see dumb holes, walk out into your yard and look around.
                              That's the difference between you and me. I never pretend that my course is any more than it is. A 5 acre pitch and putt. I suspect your ego feels it could redesign my property into a "Championship" layout like the one you are creating at Crumkani. I hate to tell you this, but that's what it is, your ego, designing this property. Give us (the members of the club and the board) one reason why we should go along with an agenda and design that you and Jeff have been working on, in secret, for months without a lick on input from anyone? and a design that is having a hard time drumming up support?

Comment

Originally posted by Stimpi View Post
                                That's the difference between you and me. I never pretend that my course is any more than it is. A 5 acre pitch and putt. I suspect your ego feels it could redesign my property into a "Championship" layout like the one you are creating at Crumkani. I hate to tell you this, but that's what it is, your ego, designing this property. Give us (the members of the club and the board) one reason why we should go along with an agenda and design that you and Jeff have been working on, in secret, for months without a lick on input from anyone? and a design that is having a hard time drumming up support?
                                Not having a hard time drumming up support Stimpio. You, Bob and Gordy are the 3 people that have had problems.. I haven't heard anything but support. Next Saturday we will see if Championship is going to be an appropriate term to describe the lower course on Sakani. My ego isn't really in this picture as much as my frustration with somebody voicing displeasure with an uncompleted project.. Furthermore I have an even bigger problem with you coming onto this forum to air out your grievances with my actions when you were standing directly in front of my face and saw what was going on. If you would have pointed out your issue of tree cutting I could have easily showed you at that moment the few bigger than 2" trees that were cut, had big bends in them and were already folded over trees. Instead you wait to hit the forum, pretend to be nice in person, talk smack on a forum?!?!? Par for the course in the passive aggressive department, eh Stimp?

Bob There might be a couple over 2 inches but not by much.. I was there meeting with the park guy and he showed me what was ok and 2 inches was not in the parameters.. Tress that are bigger but totally bent over are also allowed to be removed.

Hard to properly record a meeting that took place while hiking all over a hillside and pointing at stuff and talking. Even harder is trying to post notes about such meeting in a meaningful manner. After Saturday I want any kind of feedback I can get. More than interested in having the best possible course as I don't see it as my design, I see it as our design. There have been 6 golfers that have came up and worked and have contributed their ideas to the course we are building. If you want to come give your ideas and feedback you are more than welcome to. I have worked with you before Cory and we have came up with great ideas before.
                                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X