X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sekani or People's Park?

The SDGA Board (most of us) are meeting with Taylor Bressler - the City of Spokane Park Operations head tonight at his office at 7pm.

There's recently been some encouraging movement on the topics of the potential courses at Camp Sekani and People's Park.

Question:

If we were given the choice of which potential course we wanted to pursue I'm wondering what the general inclination of the golfers out there would be.

Please leave your comments.

Pro's and Con's

Camp Sekani

Pro's

1. Camp Sekani has about 100 acres to develop for Disc Golf. It is 2,200 feet to the top of the hill and our area is about 1000 feet wide.
    2. Camp Sekani is on the edge of both the City of Spokane Valley and Spokane. People have wanted a 'valley' course for some time.
    3. There is parking for about 72 cars.
    4. Camping would be allowed for a minimal charge of $30.00 per group. Must be pre-approved by the Parks Department.
    5. There is also an approved fire pit in a large meadow area.
    5. There is abundant additional recreational facilities in the immediate area such as:
    a. Shields Park - A developed rock climbing area only 3 minutes away.
    b. The Centennial Trail passes right by the park
    c. Boulder Beach is only 1 minute away
    d. There are about 20 miles of groomed bike trails covering most of the area.
    e. Sekani is only a few miles from the City of Spokane Valley and Spokane.
    f. The City has said that we can use a storage building on the property.
    g. There is a permanent 'caretaker' that lives on the property.
    h. We are in the Master Plan for the Beacon Hill area which means we don't have to fight for the right to be there.

Con's

Can't think of any right now...

People's Park

Pro's -

1. People really liked the course that developed over time and some considered it to be their favorite course. It was easier than our other courses and fun to play.
    2. It is close to High Bridge park and tournaments (possible future ones) could include both courses
    3. It is on a beautiful piece of land that is nearly surrounded by the water of Latah Creek and the Spokane River.
    4. We (the club) may be allowed to put an 'above ground' solution to digging in this sensitive area by laying down large 600lb 4" thick slabs of concrete. Two would create a Tee Pad and an anchor for the basket would be constructed attached to the concrete of another. This would basically eliminate any digging.

Con's

1. We had a Bucket (temporary course) there from January 2010 to about June 2011. Kevin S. had to constantly repair the Bucket Targets do to vandalism.
    2. There has been 'competition' for the use of this area as it is a favorite 'camping' area for some and a favorite hide-out for others doing nasty deeds in the bushes.
    3. We may have to wait again for the Tribe to 'sign off' on the 'above ground' solution. This may basically make any plans uncertain as the City Parks leaders have not heard any word from the Tribe to date.
    4. People's Park has between 15 and 20 acres. To compare - Downriver has 22 and High Bridge has about 21.
    4. The City felt that they had to go through The Spokane Indians to gain approval to do any digging in an area where artifacts have been found. This was a yearly fishing area for Salmon and the tribe used to encamp there and erect their TEE PEE's.

Please leave your thought-out reasonable comments.

Sky Pilot
    SDGA President
    (I'm hoping Angels are with me...)
    Rely on Me

I vote Camp

I believe People's Park will take care of itself, IF it's "supposed" to have disc golf in it.
    I think the club, if it has an opportunity, should focus it's energies and funds on the design and development of Camp Sekani.
    People's Park is a troubled area, and many of the guys who are now uncomfortable in High Bridge are gathering in the bushes in Peoples Park, and destroying our efforts to protect "their" territory.
    I say, forget it, and I suspect the city will, one day, realize that Disc Golf, in the form of a permanent course, would clean up that park as well, and then THEY may be inclined to PAY for it, since it's "their" idea.
    My two cents worth.

Comment

Well Stimp at least your two cents Makes sense

Comment

Camp Sekani is the way to go, why put all of our courses in one area spread it out a little. Leave Peoples Park out since it is a problem to get the site going.

Comment

So was there any kind of an out come at the meeting with Parks Dep.?

Comment

Oh man this is gonna be SO AWESOME!!!!
            Relax and enjoy your hair
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Sekani for the win. I'm a valley kid and I see no reason to lump all the courses in one area. Sekani has so many options. Multiple pads, multiple pins a par greater than 54. Onsite camping and great tournament location. Why waste club money time and effort on Peoples? I feel that any course there would continually be vandalized. It'd be a crying shame to show up and find all the chains cut off or the links tarred. I believe if the SDGA pursued People's over Sekani then it would be doing a great disservice to the Spokane disc golf community. A course at Sekani could not only be a great place to play but it could also bring POSITIVE attention to the SDGAs efforts. Something the club needs if it wishes to become a stand out disc golf club.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Originally posted by General Scales View Post
                Sekani for the win. I'm a valley kid and I see no reason to lump all the courses in one area. Sekani has so many options. Multiple pads, multiple pins a par greater than 54. Onsite camping and great tournament location. Why waste club money time and effort on Peoples? I feel that any course there would continually be vandalized. It'd be a crying shame to show up and find all the chains cut off or the links tarred. I believe if the SDGA pursued People's over Sekani then it would be doing a great disservice to the Spokane disc golf community. A course at Sekani could not only be a great place to play but it could also bring POSITIVE attention to the SDGAs efforts. Something the club needs if it wishes to become a stand out disc golf club.
                Good post Stu.

Comment

This is a no brainer.

I don't need to "think out" very hard to come up with a comment. I just need to be "reasonable."

THERE ARE NO CONS. CAMP SEKANI!
                  Last edited by coryreu; October 21st, 2011, 06:45 AM. Reason: yep

Comment

It is my opinion that Peoples Park has been a waste of time, money, and effort. Sekani would put a course right in the middle of Idaho and existing Spokane courses. I believe drive time/distance keeps a lot of golfers from getting in as many rounds as they would like. I also hate to see the scuzzy bastards vandalizing P.P., and the constant tagging that occurs at High Bridge. I'm not saying that Sekani would fix all of the problems, but I think PP. needs to go by the wayside.
                    PDGA #42116

Comment

Originally posted by prospect View Post
                      It is my opinion that Peoples Park has been a waste of time, money, and effort. Sekani would put a course right in the middle of Idaho and existing Spokane courses. I believe drive time/distance keeps a lot of golfers from getting in as many rounds as they would like. I also hate to see the scuzzy bastards vandalizing P.P., and the constant tagging that occurs at High Bridge. I'm not saying that Sekani would fix all of the problems, but I think PP. needs to go by the wayside.
                      Good points Cole,

The only drawback of abandoning PP is the grant was written specifically for it.
                      rewindb.com

Comment

Meeting

Originally posted by BakederThinU View Post
                        So was there any kind of an out come at the meeting with Parks Dep.?
                        The meeting took place Tues. nite as planned. The Board conferred with the Parks Operations Manager.
                        It was noted that the SDGA has put forth a tremendous effort at People's Park and has in good faith pursued the course of action that Parks asked them to follow. Also noted was the efforts the SDGA has made to raise funds for the PP project through holding several benefits there. It was clear to everyone present that the difficulty of keeping the temp course in place is only compounded with the absence of news to move forward.
                        The SDGA has provided specs for HEAVY above ground baskets and tees, a proposal which would entail further investigations by parks.
                        These obstacles to progress at PP led to the question on the part of Parks as to whether the SDGA would be willing to shift gears and engage with Parks on a DG course at Sekani instead. There was no one on our Board who wouldn't support this change of attack in our effort to install a new DG course in Spokane. The general merits of the two parks in question was a largely one sided discussion, noting that a project at Sekani would in our minds be the jewel of DG in Spokane; notwithstanding our continued commitments to our two parks at HB and DR.
                        There was no conclusion except for our sentiments and Parks' willingness to address them on this topic becoming a new direction in this discussion. I'm sure everyone is holding tight to their lucky rabbits foot today. G

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                          Good points Cole,

The only drawback of abandoning PP is the grant was written specifically for it.
                          jub.. there was NO grant for PP the grant was for HB ONLY .. all funds from the grant would go to JUST HB no place else ..

Comment

Originally posted by psychodwarf View Post
                            jub.. there was NO grant for PP the grant was for HB ONLY .. all funds from the grant would go to JUST HB no place else ..
                            Thanks for the clarification I was not sure which one just it is park specific.
                            rewindb.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                            Collapse
                            No announcement yet.
                            Working...
                            X