Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Lastly, I am asking Joe not to respond to this thread anymore since he is not apprised of the details in either of the situations he has so rudely commented upon
    i can AND will respond to this AND any thread AS A PAID MEMBER of the SDGA i am wondering if YOU were thinking of the CLUB or just yourself when you made the proposal to the CLUB to run this event?

Comment

AS FOR THE RUDE COMMENTS .... justin ... why dont you start with NOT putting down the SDGA or the board members because things dont go your way ...

Comment

By the way justin .. I was there at the meeting when you asked the club for the money for the tourney .. and your secound post on the 5th has a lot of good points but the president of our club doesnt think he needs to have club members input or advice from board members .. its HIS way or noway.. our president DONT even stay and help on work parties or help put on tourneys. He does a lot of things in the "name of discgolf" just to make him self look better then the rest .. i find it very childish our pres thinks he had to go behind the board`s back and tell everyone HE was the one who made camp sekani happen. When he had gone down 2 MONTHS earlier to PP and TOOK out the baskets himself i thought he was just going to make them better or we were going in with baskets i think it was jeff`s thinking "well i dont play PP so i am going to take the buckets and make a new course " i dont think our current president cares one way or the other about our club ..and justin did you sign a written proposal or did you just TAKE the money and RUN ?

Comment

Same old story, same old song n ......

Wow nearly 2012 allready. This thread (SDGA)continues to accelerate with the SAME VIGOR it has had for it seems like forever, 6-7 yrs or longer. I have seen ,read,from the boarder line(Idaho) many discussions that, IMO should have been private. Many well intentioned players, (some maybe not so well intentioned) have moved on, quit, resigned, in frustration over issue's in your mini disc golf mecca.
          Whats next ???

Comment

I would like to re-direct the thread back to the posted topic...
            You all have my number if you want to reach me.

So... any other ideas about how we can keep Sekani rolling in the right direction while still using the $5,000 High Bridge Grant AND maintaining Downriver?

We have amazing people doing amazing work. How can we gain more public support and involvement while focusing that work in a positive and constructive manner?

I put forth two ideas and got diatribes in return, would anyone like to move forward with some ideas or input?
            When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Highbridge Accessibility Project

Justin, just to keep you up to date. The Spokane Park's Dept. representative told the SDGA Board just two weeks ago that we may not use railroad ties for the project at Highbridge. The reason stated was toxic runoff from the RR ties. We will have to use pressure treated 4X6's in place of the RR ties. This is going to increase the cost of the project substantially. We are looking into finding the best deal on PT 4X6's to try and keep the costs within the amount that we were granted.
              Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
                Justin, just to keep you up to date. The Spokane Park's Dept. representative told the SDGA Board just two weeks ago that we may not use railroad ties for the project at Highbridge. The reason stated was toxic runoff from the RR ties. We will have to use pressure treated 4X6's in place of the RR ties. This is going to increase the cost of the project substantially. We are looking into finding the best deal on PT 4X6's to try and keep the costs within the amount that we were granted.
                Odd since Bressler was ok with it... but oh well, that is a good thing to consider.

I don't think the lumber needs to be that big, RR ties were just the least expensive concept we considered and the size worked.
                With the limitations on what work CAN be done, 2x4's, 4x4's, and other smaller pieces of lumber would probably do the job fine...
                Anyway, it seems like this is a MINOR setback since no supplies have been purchased nor plans drawn.

Comment

Half full boys, half full.

So when the grant was submitted where there actual ideas or just asking for the cash?

The Lumber is for erosion control issues right?

Well wood will last exactly two sesons for this purpose and then will need to be replaced. Is there some metal application that would do the job? I realize it's more expensive and therefore the project will need to be scaled back but it's still feasible.

Can the P/R offer any other ideas concerning erosion control. Plants would be best but they won't last long enough to grow.
                  rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                    no supplies have been purchased nor plans drawn.
                    Go buy a grands worth of rebar.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                      Well wood will last exactly two sesons for this purpose and then will need to be replaced.
                      Pressure treated wood that is rated for 'ground contact' will last a heck of a lot longer than 2 seasons. The work that was done on the trail from #4 to #5 at Downriver was done with PT G/C lumber... and that was 3 or 4 years ago...hasn't fallen apart yet.

The real issue is that it will definitely be much more than R/R ties. What about stone? Basalt? I've built a few retaining walls with basalt and crushed stone. Granted, not as easy to work with as lumber, but the results are far more durable and blend better with the environment. More to the point; there are plenty of places around Spokane to score truckloads of free basalt. Really. My favorite spot is on the side of the road in between Sunset Hwy and Wheelabrator.

Where is the majority of the 'erosion control' work needed? I would imagine the stairs leading down from #15 ...maybe establishing a stepped trail down from the #18 tee? Either one could be accomplished with a combination of basalt and PT timbers if level steps are desired; still reducing cost. The city has mountains of 3/4"minus (like the truckload they provided for the parking lot at Downriver), surely we could talk them out of another truckload for Highbridge.

Sorry if this idea has already been thrown around the table and kicked off...just trying to offer a working alternative.
                      Last edited by Burge; November 9th, 2011, 03:42 AM.
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

wood ground wet frozen heat and use will all speed up the decomposition.

I do like the alternative you offered.
                        rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Burge View Post
                          Pressure treated wood that is rated for 'ground contact' will last a heck of a lot longer than 2 seasons. The work that was done on the trail from #4 to #5 at Downriver was done with PT G/C lumber... and that was 3 or 4 years ago...hasn't fallen apart yet.

The real issue is that it will definitely be much more than R/R ties. What about stone? Basalt? I've built a few retaining walls with basalt and crushed stone. Granted, not as easy to work with as lumber, but the results are far more durable and blend better with the environment. More to the point; there are plenty of places around Spokane to score truckloads of free basalt. Really. My favorite spot is on the side of the road in between Sunset Hwy and Wheelabrator.

Where is the majority of the 'erosion control' work needed? I would imagine the stairs leading down from #15 ...maybe establishing a stepped trail down from the #18 tee? Either one could be accomplished with a combination of basalt and PT timbers if level steps are desired; still reducing cost. The city has mountains of 3/4"minus (like the truckload they provided for the parking lot at Downriver), surely we could talk them out of another truckload for Highbridge.

Sorry if this idea has already been thrown around the table and kicked off...just trying to offer a working alternative.

Comment

On Oct. 18 the Board met with Bressler. Besides being given the go ahead for Camp Sekani we were also told that RR Ties were unacceptable to use at Highbridge Park because of toxic runoff. He stated that the landings at Highbridge would have to constructed like the landings at the scenic view overlook across Latah Creek up in Brown's Addition. Gordy went and checked this area out and I was told that the Brown's Addition Overlook was built with PT 4X6,s filled with gravel. We are setting up a meeting with Bressler to see if we can get 4X6's from the Parks Dept.

We will not be allowed to build straight runs of stairs, but rather runs of platforms going up the hills.

Comment

Originally posted by LJ Jubner View Post
                              So when the grant was submitted where there actual ideas or just asking for the cash?

The Lumber is for erosion control issues right?

Well wood will last exactly two sesons for this purpose and then will need to be replaced. Is there some metal application that would do the job? I realize it's more expensive and therefore the project will need to be scaled back but it's still feasible.

Can the P/R offer any other ideas concerning erosion control. Plants would be best but they won't last long enough to grow.
                              The grant specified RR Ties. PT wood in contact with the ground will last a lot longer in Spokane than in the Seattle area. Much less moisture here.

Comment

Originally posted by Burge View Post

I believe that the spots that were intended to receive accessibility trails were;

• from #2's tee to #2's basket
                                • from #3's basket to #4's tee
                                • from #6's tee to #6's fairway
                                • from #7's basket to #8's tee
                                • from #9's tee to #9's basket
                                • from #14's basket to #15's tee
                                • from #15's tee to #15's fairway
                                • from #18's tee to #18's basket

We must get away from thinking of stairs (stairs built in parks must have handrails) when we build these accessibility trails and start thinking about ramp type trails with platforms. While basalt was not mentioned in the grant I don't see why it couldn't be incorporated into the design, especially along ramp type trails.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X