Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downriver: more and more disappointing with every change.

I am amazed at the decisions that a couple individuals have taken upon making for the club. Who the hell gave Joe any authority and why the F&#% is he making decisions about our course layout? This is the same guy who makes illegal bonfires in the park and camps on the course... and he is making decisions on behalf of the club?!?

I guess the SDGA doesn't hold meetings during the tourney season... I don't really understand why... that is a whole different can of worms.

As a result though, I would like to make a public motion that ALL COURSE CHANGES are put on hold until they can be presented and discussed at the next SDGA meeting. This will give club members a chance to actually have input on the changes... currently we have 3-5 individuals making decisions on their own behest. The same people who decided to install a new Facilities Coordinator without club input... hmm...

Last meeting, the Board insisted on having motions set in writing before they could be discussed and voted upon... I would like to see the minutes where these course changes were presented to the board, set in writing, and voted upon with a full quorum. If the changes were made without doing so, you are creating two very separate and hypocritical sets of standards.

Sets a pretty clear division between the Board and the club.
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
    I am amazed at the decisions that a couple individuals have taken upon making for the club. Who the hell gave Joe any authority and why the F&#% is he making decisions about our course layout? This is the same guy who makes illegal bonfires in the park and camps on the course... and he is making decisions on behalf of the club?!?

I guess the SDGA doesn't hold meetings during the tourney season... I don't really understand why... that is a whole different can of worms.

As a result though, I would like to make a public motion that ALL COURSE CHANGES are put on hold until they can be presented and discussed at the next SDGA meeting. This will give club members a chance to actually have input on the changes... currently we have 3-5 individuals making decisions on their own behest. The same people who decided to install a new Facilities Coordinator without club input... hmm...

Last meeting, the Board insisted on having motions set in writing before they could be discussed and voted upon... I would like to see the minutes where these course changes were presented to the board, set in writing, and voted upon with a full quorum. If the changes were made without doing so, you are creating two very separate and hypocritical sets of standards.

Sets a pretty clear division between the Board and the club.
    this is coming from the same guy who went in as a am for the glo night AND got beat by ANOTHER am ..oh wait isnt justin a pro ? justin you have nothing to say to me when you are down there ? but yet you HAVE ALOT to say ABOUT me here ..hmmmm .makes ya kinda wonder about this guy justin ...

Comment

I take you calling me a Pro as a compliment, I guess I have picked up the game quickly.
      Truthfully, I had a pretty dang good round tonight and Patrick played better.
      (One of the many reasons I enjoy playing with Mr. H, he always pushes my game)

As for my comments, I don't think I could have been more clear in person.
      "The changes made to Downriver, over the past 6 months, absolutely SUCK"
      They are a hodge-podge of thumbers and un-necessary danger... and they don't add any spark to the course.

As unlikely as it seems, I hope the club decides to focus their efforts; to design a working course and construct a plan of to accomplish the task...
      In the interim, I am making a public motion to "Stop all course changes being done without proper club authority."
      I hope that is clear enough...

(thankfully the hb practice basket was authorized months ago *before Kev complains* )

Comment

I would also trust the person voicing his comments to the world under his own name rather than the one sending private messages.
        Makes ya wonder... well not me

My beef isn't with you, it is with the current direction of the course.
        Please consider this perspective and I will try to mellow my comments.

Comment

Well I think we have a board for a reason!!! Right Joe??? I also think if the board is doing things for the club & for the courses then their doing the job we voted them to do.. Whether it's to change holes on courses or appointing some one as a F.C. Again this is why we have A BOARD!!!!!
          I believe people need to quit "POKIN THE BEAR"!!!!!

Comment

"The mission of the Spokane Disc Golf Association has been to promote fair play and
            set high competitive standards for the game of disc golf."
            Well it doesn't seem like the Board buys in to the entirety of this mission statement any longer...
            I would suggest a change but we can't even get the charter reviewed without Board intrusions.

Isn't it the job of the Board to represent the disc golf community...
            or is it their job to over-ride the club and impart their own perspective?

This could account for the high rate of dedicated club members getting frustrated with the process...
            Their are a small minority of us still voicing our discontent... their are a lot more people who have just quit trying after being ignored.

Something to consider.
            Last edited by jshrack; May 7th, 2011, 04:31 PM.

Comment

Seems the Board could easily consolidate all the Parks Department expectations/rules into one document.
              IF the Board were willing to do this, rather than occasionally coming up with new rules, it could allow the Spokane Disc Golf Community to present legitimate course designs to the club.
              True, this was already done... and voted upon, and over-ridden; yet providing a clear set of guidelines for the design would bypass the historical issues.

I think (my opinion only) we should focus on spending our grant money at High Bridge this year and start developing a 2012 grant for Downriver. If we complete our current task at High Bridge, our future funding requests are much more likely to be granted.
              The development of a new course design would be a wonderful way to focus our grant requests for next year.

Comment

Already tired of this thread.

Justin, you are very vague concerning changes to the layout of Downriver.

What are these course changes that you speak of??

I have seen no recent changes to the layout of the course.

If your rant is concerning the erosion control on hole four, you may not be aware that the basket was starting to rock back and forth. This was due to the concrete being exposed on the downhill side. It was only a matter of time before someone leaned on it from the uphill side to send the basket rolling down the hill. I for one think that what Joe has done on hole four is a positive improvement to our course at Downriver.

“This temporal life on Earth is hard enough so let us not make it harder by wasting time with those who tear us down; but rather, with those who build us up.”
                Last edited by Wobbly Bob; May 8th, 2011, 06:53 AM.
                Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

i could see if some one was just randomly changing pin placements, and or changing tee pads. but to build a wall on a hole to stop erosion is not a bad thing. and if by chance that change made effects ur normal shot. then that just to bad. and jack if u got beef with someone then go eat a pork chop. u don't have to like everyone. just have to put up with them for the short time ur around. i see the sdga has a great grp of ppl the 1 tounry i played there i was pleased. so i say every sit down have a beer and lets talk about the disc that smack that tree that one time

Comment

So you are saying that anyone who wants can make 'positive improvements' to the course as they see fit?
                    Move a tee-pad without a motion, notice, or input...
                    Spray-paint an alternate onto the concrete for PRO or AM alternates...
                    Take the clippers down to the park at sunrise/sunset to do some 'off the record' trimming...
                    All of these actions have been demonized by the Board, yet justified when personally conducted.

I think you are undermining your own position here and are constructing a very slippery slope but I don't mind.

I will keep this new perspective in mind next time something 'needs improving.'*
                    Heck, considering the free for all perspective, do we even need a Facilities Coordinator any more?*

*sorry about the rhetoric/sarcasm that doesn't transmit very well through text.

Comment

no......moving teepads.....pin placement...cutting down of anything.....IS NOT OK....from what i read it was that someone was trying to stop erosion....i may have read it wrong....but i didn't read anything about anyone moving pins and or tee pads...and in stead of just pointing fingers y not jump in and help get things back on track

Comment

You read about the most recent in a string of unapproved 'improvements.'
                        This is not an isolated incident.
                        Moving a tee-pad without a motion, notice, or input...
                        Spray-painting an alternate onto the concrete for PRO or AM tees...
                        Taking clippers down to the park at sunrise/sunset to do some 'off the record' trimming...
                        These are all examples of our Board members taking course alterations into their own hands.

I have done what I can to 'get things back on track.'
                        Bringing ideas and concepts to Board meetings, making sure they were in writing and ready for presentation to the club membership.
                        That has been my course and I have run into the brick walls.
                        This post is another one of those options, I can publicly make a motion to stop unapproved alterations.
                        I believe the current methods being used are sub-par and do not consider the input or the will of the community they are supposed to support.
                        I think we should all have the option to voice our concerns and ideas, the Board is not providing this resource by not holding club meetings.
                        As a result this is the best I can do, ask for the alterations to cease until alternatives can at least be considered and discussed.

Comment

The Charter

In essence, I am asking the board to adhere to it's own charter.

"The Board will set the club agenda for its elected term."
                          We are five (5) months into the elected term (17 months for some Board members) and this has not been addressed.

"The Board reserves the right to approve or reject all measures presented to them."
                          Please either approve or reject my measure.

The current course alterations are being done outside the club structure.
                          I would love it if the club could be seen honoring it's community in a respectful way.

Give us an opportunity to have input on the course alterations.
                          Publicly post planned alterations for club comments.
                          Maybe even come up with a design goal that we could all work toward.
                          These are three (3) quick ideas our Board could consider to empower the club.

Comment

Justin, two weeks ago on a sunny Saturday I sat at Downriver and watched people driving from hole eleven.

People had been complaining online about how dangerous eleven was because people were driving blindly onto hole one's green (I believe you yourself posted something concerning this).

I saw someone almost get nailed that day. I called Jeff, Gordy, Jon, and Kevin (board members) and got the change on eleven approved.
                            Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Scary change to be approved on a whim... but I am glad to hear it was at least approved.
                              Although it was my understanding that any measures approved by the Board had to be in writing, has this changed since the last meeting?

As for that change (on 11,) which has been called for a long time and ignored.
                              Why the current position and why done in such a hurry?
                              The rubber tee has set up a completely blind hole.
                              I have continued to see shots hit #1, especially from the atrociously painted AM tee.
                              That and the fact that more shots now land on #11's tee, better than the pin but still...
                              This change could have been considered by the club and made by the club, quite possibly the same way with less fallout.

This hodge podge of changes is doing our course and club a dis-service.
                              Please either approve or reject my measure.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X