X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Facilities Coordinator

The SDGA Board selected Jon Verbarg to replace Eric Brown as the SDGA Facilities Coordinator last night during the Board phase of the Open Member Meeting last night at Stadium Pizza.
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

I would like to address this decision.
    You have very implicitly stated that Eric Brown was replaced... the board does NOT have this right.

The club charter states, "If a Board position is vacated, the remaining Board members will fill vacancies..."
    The position was never vacated and the Board does NOT have the right to recuse a Board member.
    The assumption that the Board can recuse a member undermines our entire election process.

I would also like to mention that suggestions were asked for online and received online.
    Every suggestion included a comment about how the club should be heard on this subject.
    Having the Board recuse a Board member 5 minutes before an election meeting is UNDENIABLY overstepping it's duties.

While I feel your selection is a great one, your method was perceived by many as deceptive at best.
    Last edited by jshrack; November 3rd, 2010, 04:15 PM. Reason: forgot a word in my rant =)
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Shrek, While I agree with your statements the truth is that this will fall on deaf ears but voters should note that the people responsible for these problems are running for reelection and could be voted out so that we can clarify our charter so that it would allow the actual club members to be given a voice and not just be a doormat for the board.
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Can I ask what Jon's qualifications are for this position?

Comment

Hi.
          In response to Sean Johnson's question. I have over 10 years of construction experience. Grew up on a working farm. And generally play well with others. Oh yeah I'm registered, insured, and bonded.
          In response to complaints about my appointment to the facilities coordinator position.
          This is copy and paste from the charter.
          [B]"THE BOARD
          The Board is made up of 6 elected officers. The Boards member’s term of office will be 2 years.
          If a Board position is vacated the remaining Board members will fill vacancies and the replacement’s
          term will expire at the end of the original terms. The election of officers will be staggered. After the initial election the President, Secretary and Facilities Coordinator positions will be elected in even numbered years and the Treasurer, Public Relation and Membership positions will be elected in the odd numbered years. The President’s vote will be the deciding factor in all tied Board decisions. A quorum will consist of 2/3’s of the Board."
          [/B
          The board was unanimous ( minus of course the missing facilities coordinator ) in deciding that the former facilities coordinator had quit. In any job, or position not showing up or calling for over four months is more than considered "quiting".

There is a lot of negative comments, and criticism for how anything gets done. The one thing you can be sure of is no matter what you do, somebody is gonna be pissed that you didn't do something else, or you did it wrong.
          That is something any elected governing body will have to contend with. Any electoral base will have opposing view points, differing value systems, etc. I believe that the basic core of any group of people working to consensus, is respect. Respect for their value as a person, their opinions, their culture. The old saying goes "if you don't have anything nice to say, don't say it at all" has some truth. There are positive ways to say things and negative. conversing/complaining in a negative manner is not conducive to working to a consensus, and is never beneficial in the long run.
          In conclusion. Ranting is not helpful, and de-values the opinions, or people its directed at. Secondly you set yourself up to receive the same consideration you give. So I would encourage everyone to keep it positive. If we can do this, I think we will do well in the future. Other wise, all we can hope for is more contention, which hampers our ability's as a club.
          Finally. Remember people, this is what we do for fun.
          Remember this is what we do for fun!

Comment

Good Question

Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
            Yes. Club member, Pdga member, tournament helper, sign fixer, bench builder, shovel pusher, team player, has a truck.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
              Yes. Club member, Pdga member, tournament helper, sign fixer, bench builder, shovel pusher, team player, has a truck.
              Chef you forgot the most important one CAN TELL TIME
              JShrack Were you this active when you lived in Spokane?
              rewindb.com

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Johnson View Post
                He knows how to use a key and can unlock the gate.

Comment

He can remember the key to open the gate
                  rewindb.com

Comment

I was told that The president voted against you and the Secretary wasn't there. Was also told something else that means this appointment doesn't hold water. I for one am not against Jon I am just for things being done the RIGHT way Gordy and Bob.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

My .02

It's good to hear that you have solid construction chops, that's definitely a useful background to have for this position. Also, I personally think that there is no question that the position was vacated and needed to be filled long ago. We needed a facilities coordinator months ago, and if the board had appointed someone then I would have been much more supportive. However, elections are right around the corner so the need for the board to appoint someone wasn't really there any more. I feel that the board acted within their power, and I also believe that they made a choice that they felt was in the best interest of the club. Like I said before though, just because they can do something doesn't mean they should. If an election had been held, the position could have been filled by someone who had the mandate and support of the club. You said: "I believe that the basic core of any group of people working to consensus, is respect." I completely agree with you; I just don't feel like the board showed any respect to the club by ignoring our request to have the position filled by election.
                      One thing that you're going to have to get used to is people voicing their opinions about how you were appointed and eventually your performance in the position. These are valid concerns and club members have every right make these points. Getting defensive and saying people are "ranting" is the wrong way to start things off. Same goes for saying "if you don't have something nice to say, don't say anything at all." Seriously man, that's something that you say to a child.
                      I want you to know that I hope nothing for the best for you, and I definitely think that you bring a solid skill set to the table. You are in the unfortunate position of being the center of a controversy that really isn't your fault. Remember that I'm not saying that you're not a good choice for the position, I just don't like how the choice was made.

Comment

Originally posted by jonverbarg View Post
                        The board was unanimous ( minus of course the missing facilities coordinator ) in deciding that the former facilities coordinator had quit. In any job, or position not showing up or calling for over four months is more than considered "quiting".
                        I just wanted to point out that this is incorrect.

When I couldn't make the meeting, I sent out an e-mail saying "The only thing that I would bring up at the meeting would be to suggest that if Eric's position is vacated that we put it up for election (for a 1 year term) due to the timing of it."

I never made the determination that it was in fact vacated, although it probably wouldn't have to taken much to convince me on that.

I also wanted to point out that Sean's two cents above is on the money.
                        We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Sorry Lyle i forgot that you where not able to make the meeting. So the vacancy was unanimous except fac coor, and sec not present. It was ruled vacant by all present.
                          And yes thorton, Crum did not vote for me as coordinator, but i didn’t say he did. He voted to vacate/recuse the existing fac coor.

I get that a few folks didn't like how the position was filled. I don’t have a problem with people voicing concerns about that. That is how a democratic system works, and its good.
                          It was not my intention to come across as "defensive". I was merely attempting to point out that there are constructive methods to voicing ones concerns, and then there is just personal attacks.
                          both methods are used by members on this forum, and else where. I didn’t intend for my statement to be directed at anyone. Just as a reminder to keep it friendly.

Remember this is what we do for fun!

Comment

After the board voted to vacate the FC position we voted to fill the same position. There were two people to choose from to fill this position, Tony Costanzo and Jon Verbarg. After Jon was selected I recommended that Jon get together with Tony and that they work together as a team.

Comment

How did the board decide to vacate the position when there was no scheduled meeting Bob?
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X