X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Peoples Park or Boy Scout Camp?

I have heard there should be a new course in both of these locations, what is the current status?

Originally posted by Dadio! View Post
    I have heard there should be a new course in both of these locations, what is the current status?
    read up on it,

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...play.php?f=168

Right now, PP is in limbo until Parks & Rec gives the OK to dig. This could be a sticky widget. I know a couple that recently purchased an old piece of property in Peaceful Valley that is on the shore of the Spokane River. When they submitted for permits to develop the property, they found that there is a code that protects (to a certain degree) former tribal areas along the river that may still bear cultural and archaeological significance, of which, theirs has been determined to be as such. This means, that if they want to do anything on their own property that involves disturbing the ground, they have to hire (and pay) a tribal elder from either the Spokane or the Latah tribe to personally supervise all digging and, if something is found, all digging must cease and the area to be developed has to be archaeologically excavated--at the owners expense.

Peoples Park probably holds the most cultural significance since it was the location of multi-tribal fishing camps for, quite possibly, thousands of years. Unless we can come up with some sort of 'above ground' solution for basket placement, PPDGC may be stuck between the City's intentions and tribal restrictions for a long time.

I think, at this point, it would be the best use of the club's efforts to propose to the city that they allow us to leave PPDGC in its 'temp' stasis, until a solution can be determined, and move ahead with the development of Camp Sekani. After the forced re-structuring of Downriver, Sekani is waiting in the wings to become the new kick-ass course in the area--maybe even a rival to Farragut...get some of those Athol panhandlers to drive this way for a change.

In fact, I think a Sekani thread is in order....
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Thanks for info. Look forward to Sekani course, let us know how can help.

[QUOTE=Burge;77700]read up on it,

http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...play.php?f=168

Comment

The City told us that they are in the process of applying for the permits to dig so that we may install the baskets, tee signs and benches at PPDGC.

We asked if we could start planning at Camp Sekani but they told us that after PPDGC was installed we would be able to proceed with Camp Sekani.

The wheels turn very slowly in government.
        Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Originally posted by Wobbly Bob View Post
          The City told us that they are in the process of applying for the permits to dig so that we may install the baskets, tee signs and benches at PPDGC.

We asked if we could start planning at Camp Sekani but they told us that after PPDGC was installed we would be able to proceed with Camp Sekani.

The wheels turn very slowly in government.
          Thanks, Bob.

Bummer. So, couldn't there at least be a similar planning-phase, temporary setup at Sekani? The City shouldn't have any problem with that. It's a much larger tract of land, riddled with more trees and walking trails than any of the three other courses, and will require a lot of thinking to get right. Has this kind of progress been proposed to the wheels? Well, I guess it has... Kind of unfair of them to hold up the preliminary conceptualization of the other course because of the obvious grinding bureaucracy, but whatevs...shouting at the wind I guess.
          Last edited by Burge; October 3rd, 2010, 10:52 AM.
          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

I walk my dog quite often at Sekani and I have an awesome plan for a a very fun and challenging course. The most important things about getting new courses in is patience, persistence and planning. I do believe that the SDGA is covering those avenues.
            Originally posted by Burge View Post
            Thanks, Bob.

Bummer. So, couldn't there at least be a similar planning-phase, temporary setup at Sekani? The City shouldn't have any problem with that. It's a much larger tract of land, riddled with more trees and walking trails than any of the three other courses, and will require a lot of thinking to get right. Has this kind of progress been proposed to the wheels? Well, I guess it has... Kind of unfair of them to hold up the preliminary conceptualization of the other course because of the obvious grinding bureaucracy, but whatevs...shouting at the wind I guess.
            Relax and enjoy your hair
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
              I walk my dog quite often at Sekani and I have an awesome plan for a a very fun and challenging course.
              Curious...18? or larger? Sekani is definitely large enough to support 36 holes, maybe more, since you could fit DR, HB and PP inside it's boundaries and still have space left over.

Sekani will definitely be a long project...but well worth the effort.

Comment

Par 62-64 With alt tees and pins. One 18 hole championship course. With the giant hill the land is located it isn't the easiest design to come up with because There are some extremely steep steeps.
                Relax and enjoy your hair
                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Hurry up and Wait....
                  It's what you learn after you know it all that counts.sigpicJohn Wooden

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                  Collapse
                  No announcement yet.
                  Working...
                  X