X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Components of a Fully-Functional Disc Golf Course

As President of the SDGA, I have a vision to expand Golf opportunities in this area, work to make our courses, fully functional, and promote one of the fastest growing sports in the United States. So that you know what I mean, here are some of the things that I believe comprise a fully-functional course, and what’s needed at our courses. I’d love to hear your comments.

1. Level, secure Tee Pads – adequate in size for the distance of the hole. – Number 3 & 13 at High Bridge need work. A new pad and foundation are needed for hole #8 at Downriver.

2. Durable quality baskets – The structure of our baskets seem to be in pretty good shape at both courses. Unfortunately, some decided on their own to rattle-can some of the baskets with several colors of paint at Downriver. I have also had to cover over some of the graffiti on the yellow bands at High Bridge.
    Technically, however the Cool Shoes baskets at Downriver are acceptable but not PDGA approved.

3. Benches – Though optional, it would be nice to have them on all or part of the holes for 11, 12, 16, 18, 2, & 6 at High Bridge – Downriver could use more as well. We don’t currently have them on holes 15, 17, 18, 2, 3, 4, 5, 8, 10, 12, & 13.

4. Easily visible Tee Signs with accurate maps, distances, pars etc. – In place at Downriver and in process at High Bridge. We now have raised $900.00 by selling sponsorships on 11 holes, and have traded for the Graphic Design work with Zyph Martin Design on 2 others.

5. Well placed, durable directional signage to direct the players through the course. In place on only a few holes here and there. Still needed on both courses.

6. Quality, sturdy Kiosks for the display of tournament information, announcements, photos, maps, brochures etc. – I’ve worked with Steve Adams of the Latah Community Development Group and Taylor Bressler - The City Parks Operation Manager to obtain funds for two Kiosks at High Bridge. I just found out that they have granted us $500.00 for this purpose. David Smith a Disc Golfer and builder has volunteered his time and talents to help to construct these.
    In addition, a larger two-sided, roofed Kiosk near Tourney Central would be an improvement at Downriver.

7. Practice Baskets – A dedicated practice basket allows players to warm up prior to a game or tournament in a safe area, or just work on refining their putting. A practice basket should therefore be placed near the most frequently used starting place for players. Downriver currently has an unsafe and virtually unused practice basket as it is too close to hole 18’s pin. This anchor should be used as an alternate pin position on that hole – as we are trying to establish ‘alternate pins’ at that course. The Disc Catcher basket used at that location is ‘out of place’ – being the only yellow-topped Disc Catcher at the course. It was originally purchased along with the baskets at High Bridge. This would be the perfect practice basket for High Bridge and should be moved near hole #11 as this is the most frequently used starting place for players at High Bridge (besides, Taylor Bressler won’t allow us to put a practice basket it in the grassy area near hole #1).
    In addition, one of our Cool Shoes or DGA baskets currently should be taken out of storage and installed on the western side of the table near tourney central at Downriver as a practice basket for that facility.

Unfortunately many of these components have not previously been deemed priorities. I am actively working to change that. See my latest report entitled ONGOING IMPROVEMENTS AND DEVELOPMENTS at www.sdga.us to see what's been happening to improve our courses. This will be posted soon.

Please contact a Board Member before attempting to rectify any of these concerns. They are mentioned here to identify and clarify part of the vision I have for our courses, and to elicit comments.

Thanks for reading and hopefully commenting,
    Jeff Crum (Sky Pilot)
    President SDGA
    Last edited by Sky Pilot; September 19th, 2010, 02:21 AM.
    Rely on Me

Response...

1. I agree but also hope that we can install these tees with the instructions that Dave sent us with the rubber pads...
    I see our recent installs are already getting torn up and I would guess our money will go further if we spend it now and install the pads 'correctly.'

3. Benches would be nice, maybe even a place to clip the dog to the bench while tossing a drive?

4. I would have to contest that the ones at Downriver are no longer accurate... especially with all the planned changes that have been discussed. Do we have any these changes coming on the signs too?

5. Farragut made this look stupidly easy... on the cheap!!! Check it out or PM me to discuss the concept.

6. Great!
    Also, could we keep Jeremy's idea, for relocating Downriver's Kiosk, fresh in our minds? A lot of people thought it was a good one.
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

I see our recent installs are already getting torn up
      I would like to know what you are talking about cause I looked at every tee pad at DR that had recently been installed and they look the same as the day they were put in.

Comment

I guess the current #2 is a prime example:

The first 2 feet of the teepad has 4 different surfaces:
        The front is ~8" of rubber on hard rubber.
        Then ~6'" of rubber on dirt/gravel.
        Then ~4" of rubber on board.
        Then back to the rubber on dirt/gravel.

Each surface has a distinct feel and at each interface there is a visible and palpable crease forming on the pad due to the uneven level of these surfaces.

Not only is it destroying the pad but it is a horrible surface to throw from, IMO. It's a brand new pad that I prefer not to use for safety reasons...

If the only concern is getting a hard surface, we can buy horse stall pads for cheap... if we are spending the money for the better surface I would suggest we spend the money to put them in correctly (according to the seller.)
        This will cost us a ton less in the long run and we will have better utility.
        Last edited by jshrack; September 27th, 2010, 07:27 AM.

Comment

OhhK, Really
          well I cant take full credit for installing the Pads so poorly that you actually fear for your safety when throwing off of them.
          But I would be more then willing to meet with you at your earliest convenience to look at the correct instructions provided and Help
          Reinstall the Pads, so they don't get destroyed before there time. And I Would Not be pleased if anyone were to get hurt while throwing from a unsafe pad that I had some part of installing
          I would think that we should make corrections as soon as possible so the tee pads don't lose any more integrity or someone gets hurt.

Name the date & time. I have some tools and could probably get any that are needed, let me know what I need to bring or send me a copy of instructions so i can figure out what tools would be correct for the job.
          As for any extra hardware(lumber, steaks,ect.)
          I do not know what the procedure is for getting the sdga to
          cover that cost is. and hopefully it shouldn't be to hard so we can proceed quickly.

I would also hope that we could finish the other changes that need to be made, that have yet to be completed.
          I live about 5min away from DR so please let me know
          Thanks
          Aaron
          I will send you my #
          Last edited by BakederThinU; September 28th, 2010, 06:34 AM.

Comment

I love the attitude.
            I asked around a bit and the original instructions seem to be 'lost.'
            I will look around and find a copy or I will get in touch with Launchpad for specifics.
            I remember Dave saying it was as simple as attaching the rubber to a piece of plywood and framing it in well... but I want to be sure.

Comment

Well I wouldn't want to install the pads incorrectly a second time. I perfer to do things right the first time.
              I think going straight to the source LaunchPad or whom ever provided the first set of instructions, when pads were first purchased instead of asking around
              it just seems more logical and quicker.
              I work up in AK and I have about a month till I get back to my regular schedule of 2wks on and 2wks off rotation
              and the weather isnt goin to be nice for to much longer so I apologize if I'm pushy but lets Get-R-Done

Comment

ok well its been a week now and I haven't heard back from you whats going on?
                Im eager to see these instructions.
                or were there instructions at all?

Comment

"Installing hints: use two inches of 3/4 crush gravel, use a minimum 50 pound plate tamper, tamp level but with a slight crown, add an inch of bedding sand, anchor the pad with galvanized 6 inch spikes and washers, then run the plate tamper overtop of the pad. This last step is very effective in "locking" the pad in place. "
                  This is from an old, old thread on pdga.com. Maybe it will help.
                  Whenever I see a matress on top of a car, I think it's a prostitute making a house call!

Comment

To clarify...
                    1) I had nothing to do with the purchasing or receiving of these pads. Yet I specifically heard Dave Feldberg ask why his pads were installed incorrectly.
                    2) I am attempting to find a version of the instructions that were supposedly provided.
                    3) Dave Feldberg/Avery Jenkins are not easy people to get in touch with this time of year...

Anyway...
                    The method KrisC mentioned above sounds like the process Dave was explaining at LCO, yet framing the whole deal was also mentioned.
                    This is the same process that is used to install brick and stone walkways... EXTREMELY RESILIENT when done correctly.
                    I know Dave also mentioned the use of plywood to Jeff... but the process was never clear to me and Jeff no longer has any recollection of the conversation.

Even if we just take the time to install a legitimate gravel bed, with sand, it should GREATLY reduced the wear. Framing the pad would just alleviate our erosion problems at the front and around the edges of the pads.

As for getting this done, we will need to acquire proper supplies.
                    Although, I am happy to provide my labor next weekend. (flippin' 2 this weekend)
                    Maybe we should coerce the implementation of a work party should the forecast be nice?
                    I will get in touch with you.

Comment

When did Dave Feldberg say this?

"Yet I specifically heard Dave Feldberg ask why his pads were installed incorrectly."
                      Rely on Me

Comment

Count your blessings

Oh and by the way, Gordy said that there were no instructions supplied with the Launch Pads sent from Disconcepts. I assumed that if they had instructions that they would include them with the pads. This, for whatever reason was apparently not the case.
                        The pads installed on holes #1 and #5 at High Bridge though not perfect are a tremendous improvement over the chunk of conveyor belt that was thrown on the ground and deemed a 'Tee Pad'. This chunk was there - unpinned - for at least 7 months. I am grateful for the current improvement every time I throw from it.
                        Rely on Me

Comment

sounds good.
                          yeah I checked out several websites that had instructions to install pads except I couldn't find exact instructions for DG tee pads, but there was some useful info. basically same procedure as kris mentioned
                          1. Frame Area
                          2. Fill area with 1/4" minus use tamper (gas powered tamper is preferable but not likely to happen) to compact and level
                          3. apply 3/4"-1" sand use 2x4 to smooth and level
                          4. place pad over sand tamp pad with manual tamper
                          5. use spikes to secure pad

I looked at some of the pads at High Bridge and it looked like some of the pads had a 4x4 that ran across top of pad and the top spikes went through the 4x4 which seems like it would hold the pad more securely then just spikes in the ground.
                          I don't think its necessary to fame the entire pad on some of the tee's
                          but that's what i came up with

Comment

I remember him mentioning the placement of the spikes multiple times when his foot caught them on drives.
                            It sparked an entire discussion about proper tee installation.

As for the instructions not being included, very possible.
                            I am all for helping with the process you described... sounds sturdy.

Comment

Hey Board guys,
                              Are there supplies available to those of us who would like to put in the effort?
                              Otherwise, may we have permission to purchase supplies for the described process with reimbursement from the club funds?
                              Obviously the receipts would need to be provided...

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X