Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Actually Camp Sekani is outside of the Spokane City limits. So the SDGA should have a position concerning Spokane Valley disc golf courses and not this don't ask, don't tell, attitude.
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

This is what I've heard

Originally posted by Dadio! View Post
      no response, how about a quick synopsis?
      In 2009 one of the SDGA's goals was to contact the Parks dept. in the Spokane Valley concerning available land on which to develop disc golf courses. This project I believe was undertaken by the then current SDGA Steward Maka Johnson and the then current SDGA Facilities Coordinator Christopher Re. I'm not sure but I think Jeremy Thornton may have helped. The outcome of the contact or the negotiations with the Valley authorities were never disclosed to the other members of the Board until late 2009. It was then explained to the SDGA by these individuals that we had to many projects going on and that we couldn't handle developing courses in the Valley. They also stated that they were organizing a Spokane Valley Club that would be working on developing disc golf courses in parks that they had secured through talks with the Valley/County Parks Depts.

To this date there is no Spokane Valley Club that I know about and there is no online presence of a Valley Club.

Maybe it's time for the SDGA to get reinvolved with the Valley authorities concerning disc golf in the Spokane Valley.

Let's hear some feed back from Spokane Valley disc golfers.
      Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

I would love to see a course in the Valley. I have long heard of ideas to have courses at Plantes Ferry Park and Gateway Park at Stateline and have heard other ideas of courses at Sullivan Park and I think Mirabeau Point Park would be an excellent place for 9 holes with 9 more possibly possible across the street near the Centennial Trail. I think all would be great locations to consider but I think the best place for a great course would actually be in Liberty Lake at Liberty Lake Park (part of the Spokane County Parks system). I would consider bringing this idea to the City of Liberty Lake first to get their support then to the Spokane County Parks people but only with the support of the SDGA first so nobody thought I was doing anything behind their back. I would also love to see a club in the Valley and would be very willing to help get things going with that as well.

Liberty Lake Park I believe is 2800 + acres in size and although it has a main area that is heavily used, especially in the summer months, I think a big arm course could very feasibly fit somewhere near the main use areas but that would not interfere with regular park users. There's already a 350 acre (I think) area being used for an Off Road Vehicle Park, I am sure there is feasible space in there for a big ol' disc golf course.

Comment

I bet if Scott gets involved, something will actually get done
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

last i heard plantes ferry will probably be a 9 hole family style course and gateway park might be put on hold for a few years due to the number of new trees on the property. as far as the valley club i personally am not assotiated with it, and i believe they are still in the process of obtaining their non-profit status before it becomes a fully functioning club. The reason maka did not pursue the valley course through the sdga was that the valley was already working with people from the future valley club.

Comment

So, from the last time I talked to the Spokane Valley Parks and Rec head, he told me that Mirabeau will never happen. It's a pipe dream and not one to chase.

Reasons being multiple but I'll break down the majors:
              1.) No parking and no additional parking planned to go in. Go down on any decent sunny day in summer and try to find a place to park. Now add disc golfers to it and bam, less then nowhere.
              2.) They get 1600 dollars per wedding to rent out the gazebo and underlying area's for weddings. That is a chunk of money that we can't, as a community style sport, compete with.
              3.) Too crowded. Too many walkers, hikers, climbers, bike riders and general citizens running amok in the park to be safe to both discers and the rest of em.
              4.) The YMCA. They want their hands in any future park additions. Good luck dealing with them.

Sullivan Park would be my choice to build a Corbin'esque style course. Semi-short but fun. Plantes Ferry would be a really good pitch an putt and Gateway park is too far for me to consider that the Spokane Valley.

As for the emergence of a Spokane Valley club, I would love to see one. I would love to join one. I would only hope that if the Valley does get a club, the SDGA and the SVDGA will act as friends and not little kids tossing sand in faces and stealing Pokemon cards from each other.

Time will tell.
              "Honest work is for the downtrodden and the Polish"
              Cleveland Brown

Comment

Yeah, I've heard all the same stuff from Mike Stone as well. It would be cool but way to unfeasible due to the crowds. I do think it would be difficult for 2 clubs to exist together within the same relative city but I think that would be more of a problem for the SDGA to get over if it ever happens. I would love to see it happen as well.

Comment

Who does Camp Sekani Belong To?

This is a good question. Actually when you're heading west on upriver drive there's a sign that reads "Entering Spokane". Yet, according to Mike Aho of the Spokane City Parks Department. "Sekani is a little alcove that is owned by the City of Spokane". So, we will not be dealing with the County Parks or the City of Spokane Valley when it comes (down the road) to be developing Camp Sekani. I just wanted to put that notion to rest

Sky Pilot
                  President
                  SDGA
                  Rely on Me

Comment

The last 3 posts are correct.. except the city of the Spokane Valley is not interested in putting a course in at Sullivan Park. I wrote Dadio but never got a reply. Christopher is correct in noting that I approached the CSV about a disc golf course before the SDGA did and after a couple meetings I was told that they were interested in working with me. I started playing golf out there in 1994 and played out there for 6 years. I brought in some help and am working on fundraising and our new clubs non profit status. Please be patient as these things take time. Just ask Brian from Missoula how much time and effort it takes to become a non-profit. Hard to believe a club as established as the SDGA doesn't have non-profit status to make it MUCH easier to raise funds for the many courses that have to be worked on. I know for a fact that many have offered to do the leg work to bring about non-profit status but for some unspecified reason it doesn't seem that with our current leadership that things will change. Thanks Sky Pilot for putting the rampant paranoid to rest. I am working on courses for Plantes Ferry and Gateway Park, although the county is working on securing a separate piece of land that has more potential than Gateway but only time will tell..
                    Last edited by Yoduh; June 17th, 2010, 08:45 AM. Reason: editing
                    Relax and enjoy your hair
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Here's a stupid question: Has anyone considered Dishman Hills?
                      Already ruled out? Too busy? Too rocky? Too wooded?
                      If so, too bad...it would make a challengingly beautiful course.
                      Last edited by Burge; June 19th, 2010, 07:36 AM. Reason: typo
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Dishman Hills

My science teacher in High School was one of the people that initiated the Dishman Hills Natural Area project. I grew up about a mile from there. Since it is designated as a 'natural area' they won't allow sports in the area.

Sky Pilot
                        Sponsorship Seller
                        Rely on Me

Comment

Originally posted by Sky Pilot View Post
                          My science teacher in High School was one of the people that initiated the Dishman Hills Natural Area project. I grew up about a mile from there. Since it is designated as a 'natural area' they won't allow sports in the area.

Sky Pilot
                          Sponsorship Seller
                          like I said...stoopid question

Totally off hand...but I guess along the subject of pipe dream possibilities:

Cliff Park would make a nice 9 hole technical pitch and putt...no? Wind your way around to the top? Sweet...
                          "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                          Collapse
                          No announcement yet.
                          Working...
                          X