X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• People's Park and the West Hills area south of the creek

It is an amazing piece of land for disc golf.

As far as I know, this course needs four things before we as a club can move forward with it: approval from the communities involved in the land, funding, possibly clarification of the rules of where exactly we can set teepads, and a course design.

With regards to the last item, I think it would be great if we could get it planned out way ahead of time to iron out any messy details.

So get together with a couple friends since it is a shady area and scout out the land. Look for holes that are challenging, scenic, fair, and display the unique beauty and vegetation of this area.

Remember that teepads (probably) and pins (definitely) cannot be within 200 feet of the river, and be mindful of flood areas like on the northwest side of People's Park.

I think the earlier we get this done the better. Doing the same for Camp Sekani would be a good idea as well. Posting your rough ideas in this thread would be a good start.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

By shady you mean lots of trees, right?

I made a .pdf of the area from Google Earth if anyone wants to use it as a planning aid for course design. For a rough idea of scale, the light-colored part of the long footbridge over the river is about 580 feet long.

Comment

Thanks, Timber.

Also, this is just trying to get people excited about the land and to find great holes. As far as I know, there isn't a set plan on what we are looking for in terms of difficulty or a how the design will be finalized.
      We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Going Forward

Originally posted by Parks View Post
        It is an amazing piece of land for disc golf.

As far as I know, this course needs four things before we as a club can move forward with it: approval from the communities involved in the land, funding, possibly clarification of the rules of where exactly we can set teepads, and a course design.

With regards to the last item, I think it would be great if we could get it planned out way ahead of time to iron out any messy details.

So get together with a couple friends since it is a shady area and scout out the land. Look for holes that are challenging, scenic, fair, and display the unique beauty and vegetation of this area.

Remember that teepads (probably) and pins (definitely) cannot be within 200 feet of the river, and be mindful of flood areas like on the northwest side of People's Park.

I think the earlier we get this done the better. Doing the same for Camp Sekani would be a good idea as well. Posting your rough ideas in this thread would be a good start.
        At the last SDGA Board meeting Jeff Crum informed us that he had talked with the Peaceful Valley Community and that they where positive about installing a disc golf course at People's Park.

As to funding, the SDGA is raising funds for this project through the weekend tournaments at High Bridge and Downriver, money received from memberships and the sale of SDGA discs from past tournaments.

We have been approved by the Parks Dept. to give recognition on tee-signs to businesses or individuals that would like to sponsor a disc golf hole. This opens a whole new world of funding for the SDGA. A three year sponsorship would cost $600 and sponsors would need to renew every three years. 18 sponsors for the new People's Park DGC would raise $10,800 that would be used for equipment to install the course. We could also hunt sponsors for the Downriver and High Bridge courses for improvements at these courses and/or development of Camp Sekani.

Jeff Crum is meeting with the Parks Dept. to get clarification on exactly where and where not we can put tee-boxes and baskets at People's Park this week.

That leaves course design and I believe that Lyle is right about getting an early start regarding this phase of the project.
        Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
        Collapse
        No announcement yet.
        Working...
        X