X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Justin raises a most important point: the charter. I understand the situation by which the charter was adopted, but if the document is examined from the viewpoint of its purpose and function (its long-term function), then it needs to be overhauled. It may be seen by board members as 'good enough' and not deemed a top priority, but a charter needs to be highly specific for it to serve its purpose of, not only providing reference to procedure and responsibility, but guiding the intent and maintaining the focus of the club. The time spent rooting out all of the possible 'if/then' situations and containing them within the language of the charter is time saved from future debates and confusion. The club would do well to have the charter reviewed by a lawyer or someone familiar with drafting corporate charters and by-laws. Counsel pro bono might take a few phone calls, but this is something that could be made easier if the club re-invented itself as an official NPO.

In essence, the SDGA is already non-profit, but being registered as a 501(c)(7) would open the door for more funding and benefits. Has this ever been considered?

P.S. , Yoduh: The correct term is 'clubnik'
    "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Board Meeting 11/18/10

The minutes of the Board meeting that was held on Thursday, Nov. 18, 2010 are attached below.
      Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

The Board has no plans to be a non-profit but it has been offered the opportunity from local professionals (lawyers, accountants) but our treasurer doesn't want to deal with it. I on the other hand am willing to, and very interested in gaining nonprofit status for our club. I see it as essential to fueling the growth of our club and our sport.
        Relax and enjoy your hair
        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Some things are easier said than done.

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
          The Board has no plans to be a non-profit but it has been offered the opportunity from local professionals (lawyers, accountants) but our treasurer doesn't want to deal with it. I on the other hand am willing to, and very interested in gaining nonprofit status for our club. I see it as essential to fueling the growth of our club and our sport.
          Whereas non-profit status would most certainly be a boon to the club, it seems to me that we need to establish who would oversee the club's non-profit status and maintain it. It takes quite a bit of time and effort to do so as well as a management plan: how active will the board need to be? What will be expected of them? Who will they manage? What are the overhead costs and what is the operating budget? Who files the taxes? Who ensures that the organization is following proper protocol to continue non-profit status? Scrutiny on financial issues is higher for a non-profit and non-compliance can land an organization in a lot of trouble. As in legal trouble. As in Federal legal trouble. Who will be responsible for keeping up on necessary and detailed paperwork? What about creating articles of incorporation? I could go on, but will stop for now.

Time, money, knowledge, and much effort is needed to create and maintain a non-profit. Many people currently involved with the SDGA have committed time and effort not to mention money. Will they then have commit more? If these duties are to fall to the treasurer than I really do not blame him for not wanting to take this on. After all, I am sure we can all agree our treasurer has already gone above and beyond the call in terms of duties, commitment, time, effort and personal financial commitment.

Gaining non-profit status creates legal concerns. Everything must be above board. There is no room for error. None at all. So before bandying about a call for non-profit status, shouldn't we be clear on what it entails and what our future would look like as a non-profit organization? This is a long term ongoing commitment. Think hard.

Comment

Cart before the horse

Wow "the Corster" was on on a roll.

All the points raised are legit and need addressing before the grant shows. The main concern is how will the club control the funds? Because this info is not currently in the club bylaws That point alone would SNAFU the process from the beginning.

It seems to me that the club needs to add another committee or two to address these issues.
            One needs to look at the clubs bylaws and procedures to address all these concerns BEFORE the grant should even be written. The concept of DISPURSEMENT PROTOCOL needs to be paramount

Because I live westside I am offering to help online with this process of drafting the clubs "grant strategy and protocols"

and
            I certainly don't blame the Treasurer for not wanting to open yet another can of worms. The position has enough work as it is but in the end does control all the clubs purse strings. I would hate to see another DD situation arise because the club moved too quickly or impulsively disregarding checks and balances the Number 1 axiom for non profits.

Alternative suggestion

Why not approach business's about their promotional budget's?
            rewindb.com

Comment

The Spokane Disc Golf Association will be holding a Board meeting on Dec. 7, 2010 at 6 pm. We will be meeting at the Stadium Pizza and all disc golfers are welcome to attend. Here are some items that we will be discussing at the meeting.

• Giving a report on how the upcoming election will be conducted.
              • Setting the agenda for the upcoming Candidate's Forum on Dec. 14th.
              • Getting the reports from Tony Costanzo concerning the SDGA Weekly Tournaments.
              • Giving a report on our meeting with Tim Nevins concerning changes to our Charter.
              • Finalizing the reports from Lyle Parks from his time running the SDGA Weekly Reports.
              • Getting baskets and tee mats and storing them for the day that we are cleared by Parks to install another course.

I'm sure other items will be discussed.

Comment

Thanks for the invite!
                When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Is the meeting tomorrow night at 5 Mile or Stadium pizza?
                  When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

The Candidates Forum will be held on Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 at 5 Mile Pizza. The meeting will start at 7:00 pm. Come on out and become an informed voter.

Comment

Board Meeting 01/11/11

There will be a Board meeting this evening at Stadium Pizza at 7:00 pm.

Members are welcome to attend.

See you there.

Comment

Membership

Kevin Sakus, our Membership Whip will be attending the Board meeting this evening and you may join or renew your membership tonight at Stadium Pizza.

Comment

Open Board Meeting - Feb. 1, 2011

The SDGA Board will be meeting on Feb. 1, 2011 and all SDGA members are invited to attend.

We will be reviewing the Grant Committee's submission to the Spokane Parks Foundation.

Come on out and hear what Justin Shrack and the Grant Committee have put together for the SDGA.

We will be meeting at the Stadium Pizza Parlor at 7:00 pm.
                          Last edited by Wobbly Bob; January 20th, 2011, 09:41 AM.

Comment

Open Member Meeting - March 1, 2011

The SDGA will be holding an Open Member Meeting on March 1, 2011.

We will meet at Stadium Pizza at 7:00 pm.

We will have a sign-up sheet for disc golfers that would like to speak at the meeting.

You do not need to be a member to attend this meeting.

Comment

The SDGA Board will be meeting on Feb. 1, 2011 and all SDGA members are invited to attend.

We will be reviewing the Grant Committee's submission to the Spokane Parks Foundation.

Come on out and hear what Justin Shrack and the Grant Committee have put together for the SDGA.

We will be working on protocol for the weeklies at this meeting and would like all the weekly TD's to attend.

Think Globally and Play Locally in the PDGA Global Disc Golf Tournament.

We will be meeting at the Stadium Pizza Parlor at 7:00 pm.

Comment

Open Member Meeting - March 1, 2011

The SDGA will be holding an Open Member Meeting on March 1, 2011.

We will meet at Stadium Pizza at 7:00 pm.

We will have a sign-up sheet for disc golfers that would like to speak at the meeting.

You do not need to be a member to attend this meeting.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X