X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

As a Grammar Nazi, I will point out that 'chair' is a verb.
    It's definition is: to preside over something, often a meeting.
    Anyone can chair but I agree it should be done by a board member.
    I also contest that it should be done by a 'neutral' board member.

As for the other topic, I agree with Sean. Couldn't have said it better.
    When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

[QUOTE=Yoduh
      It also seems like so close to an election if a board member spot was being vacated that the club would have the spot held up for an election. Also I do not like the policy the board adopted in the first place.

The charter was adopted unanimously by 36 Club members at the first nominations meeting in December, 2008. The Club leadership at that time voluntarily turned over any controlling interest it had in Club to open the way for a broad-based Club leadership core. The current structure was born there and the first slate of Club officers was elected and inaugurated on its heels.

Comment

SO we need to address this issue at tonight's meeting. Too bad I can't make it as I am in the Bay area right now. Hopefully other clubbies (wait am I not supposed to use this word?) will pick up the torch and run with it.
        Relax and enjoy your hair
        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I also can't make tonight due to school, which sucks.
          We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Candidates Forum

The next Open Member meeting of the Spokane Disc Golf Association will take place on Tuesday, Dec. 14, 2010 at 7:00 pm. The location has not yet been determined but will be posted here ASAP.

This meeting will have time set aside specifically for the Candidates to address the Membership.
            Last edited by Wobbly Bob; November 3rd, 2010, 09:12 AM.
            Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

I would like express my frustration that that member issues (New/Old business) were not heard at last night's meeting.

I know this is NOT an meeting but I would like to address a few items.

1. Our charter has very ambiguous language which needs to be amended.
              a. The grammar and tense should be consistent throughout.
              b. Our Board description and responsibilities might be clarified.
              c. Our charter amendment process should be discussed.
              d. Our mission statement could include our intent rather than just our past.
              e. The term 'vacated' needs to be addressed.

2. We have also been talking about Practice Baskets at both courses. Many suggestions have been made and set on the back burner... will we be waiting 6 more weeks before we can even address this discussion?
              When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                I would like express my frustration that that member issues (New/Old business) were not heard at last night's meeting.

I know this is NOT an meeting but I would like to address a few items.

1. Our charter has very ambiguous language which needs to be amended.
                a. The grammar and tense should be consistent throughout.
                b. Our Board description and responsibilities might be clarified.
                c. Our charter amendment process should be discussed.
                d. Our mission statement could include our intent rather than just our past.
                e. The term 'vacated' needs to be addressed.

2. We have also been talking about Practice Baskets at both courses. Many suggestions have been made and set on the back burner... will we be waiting 6 more weeks before we can even address this discussion?
                The agenda that Jeff proposed failed to have times assigned to each item. The main reason we had the meeting was to address nominations for the upcoming election. I think we spent less than 10 minutes on nominations.

Comment

Good Point

Good point Bob, I'm going to make better estimations of allowances for time at our next meeting - including how long to allow the candidates to speak. Also, I want to minimize the need for any unnecessary business at our next meeting.

As I recall the only board meeting I've been to that had any time limitations imposed was at the January voting meeting where the candidates were allowed 2 minutes to present their visions a ideas for the office they were running for.

I had the members present approve a 2 hour duration for the meeting at the beginning so that it wouldn't (or couldn't with out an official extension) go over-long. In addition:I presented (for the first time) an actual Order of Business that the club approved at the onset of the meeting, and I gave a copy to all 11 members that attended. In this way anyone that is not speaking in turn and to the point that we are on was out of order. This meeting wasn't unruly or disorganized as previous ones had been. It went very smoothly and the members all raised their hands and asked the Chair for permission to speak. The only problem was that there wasn't enough time for new business.

Sky Pilot
                  Distance Measurer
                  Rely on Me

Comment

Allocation

The first quarter of the meeting was devoted to discussion of the role of the Sgt. at Arms. That was eventually tabled and left to the Board and the Sgt. volunteers meeting in the near future to work out some arrangements to streamline order at the meetings. I don't think there was much support for adopting the text of Robert's Rules, but rather to identify some key points to adhere to. The Board and the volunteers agreed to try to have these key points in place for adoption at the next Club meeting....The next quarter of the meeting was spent working through a long Christmas list of everything the Grant Committee could think of in the course of the month since the last meeting. It sounded like the majority could see applying for funds to purchase materials to shore up eroded areas and build stairs; not so much support for getting funds to pay volunteers to do things because it cuts into how much materials you could get. I don't know if it was new or old business but it pretty much ate up all the time for that. The officers reports went quickly with a few questions popping in along the way. The nominations were also quick, the question being whether a nomination needs a second or not. It does need to be accepted by the nominee...... Probably half the people sat around for another 30 minutes and got better acquainted.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
                      to pay volunteers
                      You lost me at this oxymoron. Isn't the point of a 'volunteer' is that you don't have to pay them? I've done a lot of volunteering for a multitude of organizations and I have never gotten paid.... Am I missing something?
                      "When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace." -- Jimi Hendrix

Comment

Originally posted by Burge View Post
                        You lost me at this oxymoron. Isn't the point of a 'volunteer' is that you don't have to pay them? I've done a lot of volunteering for a multitude of organizations and I have never gotten paid.... Am I missing something?
                        You could be!

I think Gordy's talking about uber volunteers.

I do think we need to start thinking about how to make our sport more professional looking. The old adage applies here
                        "Speed costs money, How fast do you want to go"?

My point is Having some paid positions is not such a bad idea. The pDGA already does it so why shouldn't we follow their example. It would be great if an organization/series could find and RATIONALIZE a decent weekend wage.

Think of it this way
                        Fri 4 hrs from 1-5 in the afternoon,
                        This person would be the check in/PP distributor
                        any and all promotions would be offered by this same person
                        Sat and Sun 8 hrs each day check cards, spot, run promotions, General support kinda thing.

If we could attach a wage of say $8/hr or $160 for the weekend?

Back to the subject;Club meetings
                        Here are two suggestions

For the Planners
                        First have deadline for the next meetings agenda 2 weeks prior to it and then publish it. this allows planners the chance to know they will be on the agenda.

For the idea guy
                        Have all members sign in to meeting
                        On that same sheet have anyone with new business note their request for time.
                        As meeting starts Sec then reads each request. At that point the steward decides based on need and or constraints which requests will be allotted time either at that meeting or tabled till the next. This then becomes the new business section.

By allowing requests and then deciding publicly this would at least give the idea guy the feeling he was being heard. It also would encourage further participation down the road.
                        rewindb.com

Comment

Just so everyone is on the same page, the SDGA will not be paying volunteers for doing any volunteer work. This includes uber volunteers.

Comment

Burge

Originally posted by Burge View Post
                            Come out to 4-mound on Sunday and volunteer some timbers for use at Downriver. They're cut and stacked and ready to go.

Comment

The grant allows for volunteers to be paid for their work. So if these workers were paid than they would be paid for by the government, not the club. I believe the amount is $10 and some change.
                              Relax and enjoy your hair
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by jshrack View Post
                                As a Grammar Nazi, I will point out that 'chair' is a verb.
                                It's definition is: to preside over something, often a meeting.
                                Anyone can chair but I agree it should be done by a board member.
                                I also contest that it should be done by a 'neutral' board member.

As for the other topic, I agree with Sean. Couldn't have said it better.
                                Dictionary.com
                                chair   
                                [chair] Show IPA
                                –noun
                                a seat, esp. for one person, usually having four legs for support and a rest for the back and often having rests for the arms.
                                something that serves as a chair or supports like a chair: The two men clasped hands to make a chair for their injured companion.
                                a seat of office or authority.
                                a position of authority, as of a judge, professor, etc.
                                the person occupying a seat of office, esp. the chairperson of a meeting: The speaker addressed the chair.
                                (in an orchestra) the position of a player, assigned by rank; desk: first clarinet chair.
                                the chair, Informal . electric chair.
                                chairlift.
                                sedan chair.
                                (in reinforced-concrete construction) a device for maintaining the position of reinforcing rods or strands during the pouring operation.
                                a glassmaker's bench having extended arms on which a blowpipe is rolled in shaping glass.
                                British Railroads . a metal block for supporting a rail and securing it to a crosstie or the like.
                                –verb (used with object)
                                to place or seat in a chair.
                                to install in office.
                                to preside over; act as chairperson of: to chair a committee.
                                British . to carry (a hero or victor) aloft in triumph.
                                –verb (used without object)
                                to preside over a meeting, committee, etc.
                                —Idioms
                                get the chair, to be sentenced to die in the electric chair.
                                take the chair,
                                a.
                                to begin or open a meeting.
                                b.
                                to preside at a meeting; act as chairperson.
                                Rely on Me

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X