X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Meeting at Stadium Pizza

I cleared having our meeting at Stadium Pizza on November 2, 2010 at 7pm (sorry Schrack).

The address is 4423 W. Wellesley, its in the shopping center by the VA Hospital.
    Fly free and straight to the pin!

Comment

sweet
      I know that place...

If someone chairs the meeting we should be fine.
      When a ball dreams, it dreams it's a Frisbee.

Comment

Board meets prior to Nov. 2nd member meeting

Calling all Board members. We are trying to meet on Friday afternoon at three pm to discuss the agenda for the upcoming meeting. We want to come to grips with how to better manage large meetings so that all our time is better spent. One method we used in the past was to have the Board members take turns chairing the meetings. The problem is that some Board members' responsibilities at the meetings don't allow them the luxury of also chairing the meetings. That raises the possibility of pre-identifying a volunteer to manage an upcoming meeting.With that in mind if there is anyone interested in that role please come to this meeting. Please bring your ' Robert's Rules of Order!' Also the position of the Fac. Coor. needs to be discussed. There is a lot of new work going on these days and a regular 'can-do-hands-on' type who plays well with others would be worth a closer look. We have some good helpers who deserve a regular go-to guy or gal who is also capable of working within the Board. Any suggestions? The Fri. meeting is at Benidittos Pizza at the corner of 15th and Monroe just uphill from Rousaurs.
        Last edited by Gordy #21004; October 27th, 2010, 10:08 PM. Reason: spelling

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
          Calling all Board members. We are trying to meet on Friday afternoon at three pm to discuss the agenda for the upcoming meeting. We want to come to grips with how to better manage large meetings so that all our time is better spent. One method we used in the past was to have the Board members take turns chairing the meetings. The problem is that some Board members' responsibilities at the meetings don't allow them the luxury of also chairing the meetings. That raises the possibility of pre-identifying a volunteer to manage an upcoming meeting.With that in mind if there is anyone interested in that role please come to this meeting. Please bring your ' Robert's Rules of Order!' Also the position of the Fac. Coor. needs to be discussed. There is a lot of new work going on these days and a regular 'can-do-hands-on' type who plays well with others would be worth a closer look. We have some good helpers who deserve a regular go-to guy or gal who is also capable of working within the Board. Any suggestions? The Fri. meeting is at Benidittos Pizza at the corner of 15th and Monroe just uphill from Rousaurs.

I would be willing to chair some of the meetings. I do know that it is hard to ask questions when everyone is talking at the same time.

Comment

Originally posted by Gordy #21004 View Post
            We want to come to grips with how to better manage large meetings so that all our time is better spent. One method we used in the past was to have the Board members take turns chairing the meetings. The problem is that some Board members' responsibilities at the meetings don't allow them the luxury of also chairing the meetings. That raises the possibility of pre-identifying a volunteer to manage an upcoming meeting. With that in mind if there is anyone interested in that role please come to this meeting.
            Is this something we can consider adding permanently to the Charter?
            I would guess that having a neutral Chair on the Board could really help our club.
            (I am not volunteering here )

Comment

Club Meeting Nov. 2, 2010

Club members and local disc golfers are invited to attend the next SDGA club meeting. It will take place at Stadium Pizza located at 4423 W. Wellesley Ave. The meeting will start promptly at 7pm and should last about 2 hours. Nominations will be opened for the three Board positions up for election in January. This meeting offers an excellent opportunity to renew your membership so that you can vote in January. Hope to see you all there.

Comment

Friday Board meeting @ Beni's, Oct.29th

Jaymie and Deron came down to the meeting to offer their help to chair Club meetings. They will come to the meeting on Tuesday. Jon Verbarg was also there in response to our invitation to a prospective Facilities coordinator. He will also come to the Tuesday meeting. All in all a productive meeting; Hot pizza, cold beer and fresh ideas. Lousy tippers. Thanks to all who showed.Gordy

Comment

So you invited board members to a meeting and somehow that included Jon Verbarg, Deron, and Jaymie... How cute.
                  Relax and enjoy your hair
                  TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

There were no invitations sent out Gordy. It sounds like you had one to pass out to an unvoted on group decision.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I don't remember seeing any invitations for F.C. either... just an invite for people who wanted to chair the meeting. (This would be reason enough for the extra three individuals, Yoduh)

I also read that the board does have a right to appoint an individual for vacated positions. I would hope club considerations might be taken into account with a meeting coming up so soon though.
                      Last edited by jshrack; October 31st, 2010, 03:48 PM.

Comment

Clarifications

Note: It isn't proper terminology to say that any member may 'chair' the meeting. Chair is short for Chairman, and Chairman implies that they are an elected Officer.
                        "the presiding officers' official place or station (usually in the center of the platform or stage, if there is one, is called "the chair. During meetings, whoever is presiding is said to be. "in the chair..." - Roberts Rules of Order
                        The Seargent at Arms title is a more appropriate designation for someone who is willing to help control the masses at a meeting. Yet, this also must be decided by a Board decision. As with any appointment, the Seargent at Arms is still subject to presiding Officer.
                        Any one of the Elected Officers can be designated to chair any meeting. However, the board has not done so. As elected President - Chief Officer and Senior Advisor, I will Chair the meeting until the Board votes otherwise.
                        Further clarification:
                        The Board hasn't discussed possible candidates or actually officially vacated Eric's position as of yet. So, let's back up a bit and wait until the Board can confer about appointing someone to the position of Facilities Coordinator, which is an important topic before we start 'inviting' anyone to take a position.

Sky Pilot
                        Still President
                        Rely on Me

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
                          There were no invitations sent out Gordy. It sounds like you had one to pass out to an unvoted on group decision.
                          There were no decisions made at the above meeting.

Discussion yes.

I would like to have seen participation by Jeff, Lyle and Eric, they were invited to discuss the seemingly vacated position of Course Facilitator and possibly some way to get a better handle on the meetings.

Without four board members there, it was just a get together of some disc golfers having beer and pizza and all the board members know this.

Comment

So the president "Chairs the meeting". I always thought that. Gordy used to do so back in the day. At the last meeting I attended I felt like we had a good flow of conversation with only a few "off topic discussion comments". Not sure what the need of a chair is.
                            It also seems like so close to an election if a board member spot was being vacated that the club would have the spot held up for an election. I would venture that this is a very good topic to be held at this upcoming meeting. Also I do not like the policy the board adopted in the first place. BOARD MEMBERS SHOULD BE ELECTED BY THE CLUB> >NOT BY THE BOARD Seems like the board gets a lil to big for it's britches.
                            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

It is not that hard to have a small window for nominations and a club meeting to vote in a new board member. Somehow the board found this to be to difficult and adopted a much more convenient strategy to bring in a new board member's even though the club elected them..
                              TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

I agree with Yoduh on this one. The position has been essentially vacant for some time, so I see no harm in adding this position to the upcoming election. With the elections so close, and given the fact that there has been no rush to fill the position before now, there is absolutely no good reason not to allow the club to vote a new board member into this position. Just because the board can do something, doesn't mean that they should.

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X