Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Downriver DGC and High Bridge DGC Moratorium Announcement

Greetings Everyone,
    It has recently been made aware to us by the (SPR)Spokane Parks & Recreation, that in order to continue operations at Downriver and High Bridge parks, the (SDGA)Spokane Disc Golf Association must become incorporated and acquire insurance on both parks. We come before you to announce that a vote has been passed by the SDGA Board Members on September 19th, 2014 that will place the disc golf facilities in Downriver and High Bridge Parks into moratorium. The SPR and the SDGA have been working together and have agreed upon placing the moratorium on all disc golf facilities until this process has been completed. This is a temporary closure that will allow the SDGA to enter into a period of negotiations with the SPR as well as You, the disc golf community.
    The SPR have informed the SDGA of their requirements to obtain an (MOU) Memorandum of Understanding. The requirements are as follows.
    1. Remove all Targets from Downriver and Highbridge parks.
    2. The SDGA obtains Business Incorporation and files with the Washington State (DOR)Department of Revenue and the Secretary of State.
    3. The SDGA obtains Insurance that protects the SDGA and the SPR of any liabilities. The SPR specified that there will need to be a policy with a minimum of $2,000,000 liability coverage.
    4. Upon completion of the previous requirements, the negotiations of the (MOU) can proceed.
    Once these steps have taken place, the MOU process can begin. Once the MOU is in place, regular disc golf activities (both maintenance and play) may once again resume. With these additional responsibilities, comes additional expenses never before seen by any of us. The additional cost to keep the parks open will be somewhere in the range of $2000-$2500 per year. That's where the negotiation with You, the disc golfing public, begins. Without your support through this process and into the future, there will simply be no feasible way to continue the operation of our local courses for the long term. We will be appealing to You for your support of Public Disc Golf through the SDGA with a monetary pledge to facilitate this process. The Moratorium is a dreadful inconvenience, but will serve well as a time for serious discussion and reflection of what is needed to properly facilitate and maintain the public courses here in Spokane. Now is the time for You to become involved as we create a sustainable model (for those who follow) by which the courses will be maintained and facilitated.
    Sincerely,
    Derek Cartwright Sr. - SDGA President
    Gordy Crafts - SDGA Treasurer
    Angela Diamond - SDGA Secretary
    Bob Perrewe - SDGA Membership WHIP
    Dana Simmelink - SDGA Public Relations
    Jon Verbarg - SDGA Facilities Coordinator
    -

It's time to begin meetings? Negotiations haven't started? I heard 30 months ago that an MOU was supposed to be started and completed with the city and the SDGA. How is it that we are at this point right now? Is it incompetence? Sounds like the board hasn't been doing the work it was elected to do. The SDGA has $5,000 in it's bank account. The time to ask for money is not after you've dropped the ball. I think it's time to hold elections and get some people involved that have disc golf in Spokane in our best interest. I call for the resignation of the 3 longest standing board member's. This has happened under your watch. I know the former SDGA president TIm Nevins, who for all intensive purposes runs a hospital told me that his number 1 priority was to get the MOU completed. If he couldn't make headway and this is as far it's gone then there's a serious problem with our lack of leadership.
    Relax and enjoy your hair
    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

This is very sad. I hope the disc golf community will pull together to show the city we really do want to support the disc golf parks at HighBridge and DownRiver. I'm curious...does the $2,000,000 yearly insurance policy cover both parks or do we need one for each? Does this raise our total yearly budget requirement (just for insurance) to 4-5 thousand dollars? With approximately 50 to 60 paid memberships a year at $20, it looks like there is a long way to go to re-open the parks.

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
        It's time to begin meetings? Negotiations haven't started? I heard 30 months ago that an MOU was supposed to be started and completed with the city and the SDGA. How is it that we are at this point right now? Is it incompetence? Sounds like the board hasn't been doing the work it was elected to do. The SDGA has $5,000 in it's bank account. The time to ask for money is not after you've dropped the ball. I think it's time to hold elections and get some people involved that have disc golf in Spokane in our best interest. I call for the resignation of the 3 longest standing board member's. This has happened under your watch. I know the former SDGA president TIm Nevins, who for all intensive purposes runs a hospital told me that his number 1 priority was to get the MOU completed. If he couldn't make headway and this is as far it's gone then there's a serious problem with our lack of leadership.
        couldn't have said it any better. Its despicable that the sdga is so lazy that the city has to pull the baskets to make then start moving their feet and sign some paperwork. Stop being lazy, get off your ass, write some checks from all that money in the bank account, and DO SOMETHING! There are people in spokane who rely on these disc golf courses for their exercise, and their peace of mind. now they are gone. If money was the issue, why are we hearing about it now that they are giving sdga an ultamatum? why wasnt the sdga asking for money or doing fundraisders all summer in anticipation of buying the new insurance and being incorporated. This is a level of incompetence i have never seen from grown men. Its like the sdga is run by a bunch of 15 year olds. Get your shit together, at least for the disc golf community, if not for it being the right thing..

Comment

Baskets are still in... What's the plan to keep it that way?

Comment

Tim and everyone, I wanted to get into a brief history of the SDGA so more folks would better understand how this organization came to be and why. Well, perhaps another time because right now we only have a limited amount of it... I understood and endorsed the decision to place the course and ourselves in moratorium with respect to SPR. Simply put, when we are compelled to enter into contractual partnership with SPR with incorporation as a prerequisite. The bright lights are all focused on SPR's and our liability. Culpability and liability are the core items on the menu. Our response upon entering into this negotiation with SPR was to take our liability and theirs off the table through the actions we proposed. SPR agreed for those very reasons. Not to do so would be like you letting someone else drive around in your uninsured car for the rest of the year hoping they don't crash it. We agreed that for our own sake, as we step up to the plate as prospective professionals, that as prudent people it was really our only choice. We were fully intending to round up the baskets and secure them and SPR instructed us to do so.
            I don't know what happened on the morning of Oct. 6th that made SPR change its mind. I can only assume that since we announced this action to the public that SPR's phone started ringing off the hook. It was their decision and what made that decision possible, we expect, that it was necessary for SPR to assume possession of the 'course' in order to legally assume ongoing liability. There it is again: liability. So our understanding at this time is that we no longer own our own baskets. We expressed to SPR, in order for this to be an amicable annexation, that we' gift ' the course to them in return for an acknowledgement of that gift.
            Even with that bullet dodged, social media and a board member are shooting our messenger. There is a game of 'rhetorical revolving door' being played out there now. Other members of the Board have been directly threatened with the same rhetorical but never-the-less actual harm. There has been personal property damage. We have asked our President directly to condemn all of this. For him not to do so is to endorse it.....
            Given this climate it makes most of us wonder why we should make the effort to remain engaged in this responsibility posed to us by SPR. We understand that a lot of folks have supported our efforts throughout the years, and that a lot of them have supported us with their membership and have actually gotten down on the ground with us. Thank You. But this situation right now is way to hot to handle.
            When we meet again as a Board and/or with SPR. I am going to recommend that we withdraw from the process now underway with SPR and place the balance of our treasury in the hands of a neutral third party, The Spokane Parks Foundation, where the monies will be available to any qualified group for an approved disc golf project within their oversight. If I can gain the support of the Board and obviously your support, I will move that this action be taken. I would like to point out, that if I haven't done so yet clearly enough, the Board members themselves are the ones in the cross hairs here and should reserve the right to excuse themselves from this contentious situation.
            With that action behind us, SPR, in full possession of the course and in a position to assume and extend liability coverage for as long as they want, and would then be free to entertain management proposals from whomever they choose. SDGA could become a happy sports group just like the many we already have in abundance and just go have fun like everyone else.
            My enduring love and respect, Gordy

Comment

Gordy,

Thank you for posting your thoughts on this. I'm really shocked and saddened that some members of the disc golf community have become outraged to the point of not actually trying to understand what the SDGA is up against and have even threatened and verbally abused SDGA Board members and club members.

As a long standing member of the SDGA, I fully support your recommendation for the SDGA to withdraw our interests from the process underway with the SPR, place the balance of the SDGA funds in the hands of the Spokane Parks Foundation and make sure the baskets become the property of the SPR so disc golf can continue in Spokane under a new organization or organizations who are prepared to step up and meet the requirements.

I want to stress that I feel like the intent and spirit of the SDGA has always been extremely noble and public serving despite the criticism. However, I also feel we failed the public in many ways due to out inability to execute widespread and regular communications. Looking back I think we did the best we could do for a group of volunteers. Throughout the years, at any time, we could count the people who were actively involved in the club activities on two hands. These people were generally hard working, dedicated, passionate disc golfers with full-time jobs and competing priorities. A dozen or so people trying to establish and maintain courses in Spokane compared to the hundreds of people playing on those courses. At times we tried very hard to recruit and involve more of the public. Sadly I cannot even count the number of work parties I attended that were exhaustively advertised but only had 6-8 people show up.

I think the SDGA can still do so much to support disc golf in the Spokane area as a regular sports club. I'm looking forward to seeing our members and our board feel safe again I won't be asking for any acknowledgement from the public on our 14 years of service in establishing and maintaining the courses. I'd just like to be able to hold my head high and feel proud of our efforts, although far from perfect, very productive and well meaning over the years.

Thank you and the rest of the SDGA Board and all the dedicated members for all you do.

Lesli

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
              Collapse
              No announcement yet.
              Working...
              X