Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

All of the current course users are benefiting from the efforts of all past and current members of the SDGA

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
    I guess I could see your theory working but to me it seems like the opposite occurred. The original stance held by the club itself probably was a main contributor to people not showing up. If I want people to come to a meeting to help out and join in I'm going to hold the meeting open to the public so people that are excited about disc golf and have extra energy will get involved. You can play most PDGA tournaments without being a member. Many after playing a few decide to join cause they see the value in it.
    Is this a comment about the last SDGA meeting or a way to bolster your upcoming DGU meeting? (us vs them theory). The national stance on allowing any tom dick or mary can pay an extra $10 and get to play with Climo is one of the reasons why this sport languishes.

This would slow the growth of the PDGA which I believe has 52,000 members. Not all of them are current either Bob.... I appreciate flippant record keeping, the record low number of club members must be a reflection of these sort of remarks and attitudes.
    The current % of active members nationally is ~ 40% of 52K.
    No matter how you phrase it

All of the current course users are benefiting from the efforts of all past and current members of the SDGA

Taking the time to find out how many have ever signed up, but not to find out how many there actually are
    Is there a sentence here ? All I see are a bunch of verbs

This is versus excluding people from playing until they join your club.
    Is that exactly like the SCC club wanting to adopt (a park) Sekani and where told they had to join DGU to be allowed to keep up the course?

My agenda is the same agenda I have had since becoming involved with building disc golf in 2001. Whether it's with a shovel, on the phone or on the computer I try to use logic to help figure out problems. Can't say that I'm always right but I know my heart is in the right place.
    The problem is not where your heart is but where your heads at.

My agenda is the same agenda... I'll be at Downriver tomorrow helping James get ready for the DRO RE-O. There's lots to do, come on down people with energy and time!
    Your agenda is to look reasonable onsite and outrageous online
    rewindb.com

Comment

Some History

Just sharing my perspective on members and non-members attending any club meetings. As I remember, in the early years of the SDGA we had several club meetings where non-members attended and dominated the conversations in the meeting so far as to completely disrupt the agenda and business of the club.

I'm an SDGA club member but not currently an avid attendee of the meetings so I'm only speculating this might be one of the reasons the club considered a members only rule.

In the old days when I was an SDGA Board member, I was a propionate of following Robert's Rules of Order and producing, distributing and following an agenda. Non-members would be allowed to attend club meetings but would not be privileged with rights to propose agenda topics, comment, bring motions or vote. Each meeting would allow a public comment period with a set start and end time where any non-members could speak for a predetermined amount of time.

It's was way too much structure for most volunteer organizations but in my professional experience it's been an effective method that has demonstated success, fairness and civility.

I'm not sure of the current meeting structure but from the meeting notes it appears everything is moving forward in a positive way.

Comment

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
        Just sharing my perspective on members and non-members attending any club meetings. As I remember, in the early years of the SDGA we had several club meetings where non-members attended and dominated the conversations in the meeting so far as to completely disrupt the agenda and business of the club.

I'm an SDGA club member but not currently an avid attendee of the meetings so I'm only speculating this might be one of the reasons the club considered a members only rule.

In the old days when I was an SDGA Board member, I was a propionate of following Robert's Rules of Order and producing, distributing and following an agenda. Non-members would be allowed to attend club meetings but would not be privileged with rights to propose agenda topics, comment, bring motions or vote. Each meeting would allow a public comment period with a set start and end time where any non-members could speak for a predetermined amount of time.

It's was way too much structure for most volunteer organizations but in my professional experience it's been an effective method that has demonstated success, fairness and civility.

I'm not sure of the current meeting structure but from the meeting notes it appears everything is moving forward in a positive way.
        I don't remember non members dominating topics to often but maybe I missed a couple meetings. I remember drunk people not listening and talking anyways. I also remember topics getting started and then new ones getting started and then new ones.. Roberts rules were a pain, especially for those that aren't up to speed on proceedures. It sounds as if the meeting was fine, with 9 people it's probably much easier. I don't remember you being an officer for very long. Whatever the case all I was advocating is holding open meetings in general seems to shed the right light about the club you are promoting. Dissallowing a non member to bring up an issue seems like a negative. Obviously not allowing them to vote is a given. Also not being allowed to bring it to a vote is also good policy.
        Relax and enjoy your hair
        TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

The only real thing that Jub brings up other than static is a need to address a sentence I didn't word properly.. For Bob, the SDGA membership whip, to go through the effort to figure out that there have been 325 members in the past, when the question clearly stated, "How many members are there at this time?" was clearly a flippant answer to a very clear and simple question. This is good policy to reinforce if you only want to have a couple people in your club.
          Jub when you actually live over here, you can pretend to know whats going on. I've been on these forums for 13 years and you've constantly said things way out of line and off base. I do appreciate your consistency
          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh
            The only real thing that Jub brings up other than static is a need to address a sentence I didn't word properly..
            No, actually that appears to be the only thing you are willing to look at and make issue with, as he clearly has several other very valid points that you easily dismiss and/or pretend are either not there are.

Originally posted by Yoduh
            For Bob, the SDGA membership whip, to go through the effort to figure out that there have been 325 members in the past, when the question clearly stated, "How many members are there at this time?" was clearly a flippant answer to a very clear and simple question.
            Relax, he has the master list on a spreadsheet. Currents at top, the rest below. He didn't devise some master attack on you. He looked at the bottom of the spreadsheet and reported where the rows ended.

How many club members are there?
            hm... I see no "at this time". Apparently the question was not as simple as your mind devised it.

This is good policy to reinforce if you only want to have a couple people in your club.
            Yeah, I think we get it, you don't like how the SDGA runs things. Feel free to move on any time this decade.

Jub when you actually live over here, you can pretend to know whats going on. I've been on these forums for 13 years and you've constantly said things way out of line and off base. I do appreciate your consistency
            Yeah you may be the gold medal winner for longevity around here or whatever, but I have been around her long enough to know when a pot is calling a kettle black. I thought I came here to hear chains but seems like too often it is just a bunch of rusty kitchenware banging against each other....

I think Jub makes a good point. The problem is not where your heart is at but where your head is at. I know you love disc golf. That cannot be questioned. But your disdain for the SDGA and your apparent love of bashing it is BEYOND old. You may say that the way we run things make people not want to join, but the way you conduct yourself online does you and DGU no favors either.
            SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment

Yoduh . Simmeltron ,lj jubner..... Please for the love of disc golf. Stop ! None of you are making this any better ,we all know jeremy likes to stir things up we also know the sdga feeds him with this type of b.s. ... Please stop it is not good for the disc golf commuinty to see a couple of little kids fighting over who gets to play in the sandbox ....

Comment

Apologize for taking it all too serious. I got caught up. People say things on these pages that they would never say to anybody's face.. I know that I need to ignore the bait. There's lots of exciting disc golf going on all over the place..
                TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                Collapse
                No announcement yet.
                Working...
                X