Want a new Seattle area course? The more people at this meeting the better Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Want a new Seattle area course? The more people at this meeting the better

I just received this email from Keith at Chainbanger'z, it could probably be put into the potential courses thread, but I think this one is worthy of it's own thread. Here's the email:

Greetings Fellow Disc Golfers,

I am pleased to announce that I have made some strides with the City of Seattle Parks & Recreation Department.

I have written a proposal for a new 18 hole Disc Golf Course inside West Crest Park (located about 5 minutes from Lakewood).

Along with this proposal I have written a grant for a ridiculous amount of money, starting at $200,000.00 and upwards of $750,000.00.

I am not telling you that I have gotten either of these approved yet, but I am telling you this is underway and very much a possibility. There will be a Community Meeting & Planning Session coming up quickly which means at this point it's a free game, and that any one person with any one activity can come along and get something into this park. BUT, if a large group of say, some Disc Golfers make it a point to show up at this meeting the parks department will have no choice but to take a second glance at this proposed project. This will take less than 2 hours of your weekend. PLEASE SHOW UP TO THIS MEETING.

The timing is perfect because the funding is set aside and they have already broke ground for the West Seattle reservoir project, inside this park. Which means it's much easier to work on new projects when there is an existing development underway.

I really just want to ask all of you for a favor. PLEASE COME TO THIS MEETING, AND PLEASE TELL EVERYONE YOU KNOW TO COME TO THIS MEETING.

I was trying to think of an incentive. Maybe something from Chainbangerz? A disc? Then I thought, “what if 100 people show up?” Of course that would be awesome, but that's a pretty hefty tab, even at wholesale prices. So here's what I'm thinking. I shouldn’t need to bribe you at all, as a large enough presence could mean A NEW DISC GOLF COURSE. I think that's a pretty good incentive in itself. Not to mention the fact that if this happens, we could actually have a National Disc Golf Tour right here. If you make it to this meeting and approach me, I will write your name on a list. I will personally implement a certain amount of my time that I will devote for money to go towards you getting a disc of your choice. If I get this grant (most grants offer a match program. For example, here’s $50,000.00 now that we have given you this money you have to match it at a 2 to 1 ratio. So you work so many hours, or volunteer such and such amount in exchange). I will put in an additional amount of my time to get you a disc. I know it may not sound like much, but after all it will be a free disc. I'll even let you pick which type, color, weight, plastic, you name it. After all, without all of your help this may not happen.

I just recently attended the "unofficial" Seattle Disc Golf Club meeting. One thing that was certain and unanimously agreed upon was a need for more courses. As I looked around the room I noticed that we had a pretty good turnout, for a meeting that wasn't promoted as great as some hoped or thought. If that presence alone wasn't an indication that Disc Golf is larger than one room crammed full of people, and that if we don't treat it as such than nobody else will. Then I don't know what is. All I ask is that we prove the need to our City Parks & Recreation people. They, by the way, think that, “yes there needs to be more courses other than Mineral Springs. Especially in a city whose population far exceeds 1,000,000.” Honestly, if you don't show up to this meeting they will never know how badly we feel the need. Granted, the course may happen, but wouldn't that be cool to say YOU had a part in the future of the sport? No matter how big or little. This is your chance.

So many people have approached me and said, “Hey Keith is there anything I can do to help?” Well here it is. You can help by showing up. Don't worry the work parties aren't starting yet, so you still have time to get your excuses ready for when that day comes. That is . . . if that time comes.

So, here are the details:

Saturday Feb. 6th

10am to noon

Southwest Community Center

2801 SW Thistle St

Seattle, WA 98126

There is also a link below with all of the info.

If you check out this link, scroll down and you will see in the notes section, which is also right below. It’s on the second page, the second item. “Frisbee Disc Golf.” I know it's not much, but hey that was my one voice out of about 80. That’s why you’re getting this e-mail.

Together we can make a lot more noise.

file:///Users/tech/Desktop/Notes.webloc

file:///Users/tech/Desktop/www.seattle.gov:.webloc

Please feel free to forward this information to everyone you know.

Get in touch with me for questions or concerns.

Thank you for your time.

I hope to see you there.

Keith Lionetti

--

Discovering Open Spaces

Chainbangerz Disc Golf Club
    Chainbangerz Disc Golf Shop
    www.chainbangerz.com
    (206)601-1188
    Everyone, let's do what we can to get butts in the seats for this meeting! Not only can a large presence be good for getting this course installed, but it can also help pave the road for other courses in the future.
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Want a new Seattle area course? The more people at this meeting the better

And tell every disc golfer you know to come as well.
    PLEASE.
    THANK YOU

http://seattle.gov/parks/projects/we...tle_reservoir/

Comment

Just so its clear, meeting details below. And yes, if you want new courses in Seattle PLEASE donate just 2 hours of time on this.

Community Meeting & Planning Session
      Saturday, February 6, 2010
      10 a.m. – noon
      Southwest Community Center
      2801 SW Thistle St
      Seattle, WA 98126
      'Weekend 4 Women':
      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Link out to google map- It's just above Lakewood. Do I smell post-meeting golf? Would it be weird to show up with our bags? Considering the dollar value of some peoples bags+plastic, it might show the parks department how much we have invested in the equipment to play the sport (poorly, in my case but I won't bring it up).
        2801 SW Thistle St.
        What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Comment

I'll be there! I'll do my best to promote this at Terrace weekly doubles on Saturday and Team Golf this Sunday.
          Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by The Course Bro View Post
            Link out to google map- It's just above Lakewood. Do I smell post-meeting golf? Would it be weird to show up with our bags? Considering the dollar value of some peoples bags+plastic, it might show the parks department how much we have invested in the equipment to play the sport (poorly, in my case but I won't bring it up).
            2801 SW Thistle St.
            This is a high quality post, chock full of good ideas.
            anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by The Course Bro View Post
              2801 SW Thistle St.
              I think we should also bring the owner of the Taco Bell on Ambaum & 110th, have him/her testify to the court as to the incredible percentage of their burrito profits come from disc golfers.
              The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Will see you there!

Comment

Ken, I didn't know you owned the Taco Bell.

Comment

Yep, just that one. For you Bro, free Chalupas after the meeting.

The chicks don't go south of the border for nothing!

Comment

I've entered the date in my calendar, I'll try to be there and lend support.
                      If only my discs would go where I want them to instead of where I throw 'em.

Comment

Word! WTG Keith!!! Spreading the word...
                        Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

Comment

I was just looking at the notes from the first meeting- about 70 people showed up and here were all of the suggestions for the "new" park. I post them so you can see that we are a small bullet on a long list, which means we need huge representation to be heard:
                          Comments taken from the flip charts at the first meeting
                           More dog park – it is too small – include the wooded area.
                           Frisbee Disc Golf to activate the woods.
                           Water drainage improvements needed.
                           More parking
                           Restrooms and lighting inside the off-leash area
                           Bridge to nowhere/gulley area needs improvements – What about parking?
                           Improve the view overlook for a gathering place.
                           Use original plan ideas from Richard Haag.
                           Picnic shelter, tennis courts, concert bowl
                           Skate spot
                           Water feature
                           Amphitheatre
                           Sidewalks on Cloverdale are needed on both sides of the street.
                           Wildlife/habitat enhancement
                           Sidewalks, safety, access, security more important than recreation amenities.
                           Rehab the greenbelt and connect bike trails for bikers to W Duwamish Bike Trail.
                           Invasive clean-up has been very successful in south part of park. Emphasize safety and lighting in this
                          area – There are homeless and illegal dumping here.
                           Encourage passive use also
                           Maintenance is a huge issue – There is not enough maintenance now – Can we build in maintenance
                          funding?
                           Construction noise concerns and road deterioration by lid contractor
                           Preserve/enhance unstructured play, natural playground
                           Large multi-use area like a village green, for farmer’s markets, swap meets, etc.
                           Need angled parking along 8th Avenue – in street R.O.W.
                           Soccer for youth (1,400 kids in W Seattle programs) - not dedicated for any one sport-multi-use, etc.
                           Ultimate Frisbee areas needed
                           Dedicated sports fields are needed that can be reserved.
                           Focus on activities for youth – i.e. cross-country trails.
                           Do not make scheduled athletics the dominant use of this new park!
                           Create active street entrances with sidewalks, entries...
                           Do outreach to youth for use ideas
                           P-patches and community garden areas, demonstration gardens
                           Need more diverse use – other nearby areas are available for organized sports.
                           Build on ethnically diverse population, such as Samoan cricket, art must reflect the community!
                           Get SDOT cooperation for sidewalks and drainage improvements.
                           Change stipulation about volunteers not being able to use power tools! Volunteers will do the maintenance
                          if allowed to!
                           LID soil profile of 24” (1/2 grass, ½ ground) – may not take much traffic – how about Synthetic turf?
                           Need lighted fields (note that Hiawatha & Delridge are soon on-line)
                           Pedestrian access from 8th & from Cloverdale is needed.
                           City can’t maintain the parks now, so low maintenance areas needed – such as hard surfaces and
                          synthetic turf.
                           Program park with schools for learning about the natural environment.
                           Light the dog park with ambient light from the lid.
                           Address the traffic issues on Cloverdale.
                           Additional viewpoints could be accommodated.
                           Exercise trail stations?
                           Signage should be multi-lingual.
                           Create links with the Duwamish for educational purposes.
                           Create a buffer for the neighbors to mitigate the higher use of the park.
                           Light the valley, not the lid
                           Expand the dog park into the greenbelt area.

Comment

Originally posted by Ken Smith View Post
                            The chicks don't go south of the border for nothing!
                            Yes, but nothing is what they find, unfortunately.

Hey, to piggyback on the idea Bro had, should we all wear any DG apparel we have, like tourney T-shirts, HukLab hats, etc? Something to act as a quasi-uniform, to display without a doubt that we're all part of a team of sorts? The Seattle Association For The Advancement Of DG In General team?
                            The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

Comment

Originally posted by ChUcK View Post
                              Yes, but nothing is what they find, unfortunately.

Hey, to piggyback on the idea Bro had, should we all wear any DG apparel we have, like tourney T-shirts, HukLab hats, etc? Something to act as a quasi-uniform, to display without a doubt that we're all part of a team of sorts? The Seattle Association For The Advancement Of DG In General team?
                              Excellent idea. Dibs on a red huklab hat (don't want to match anyone else! )

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X