X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I've updated the map with Westcrest Park, from this thread
    Last edited by sillybizz; January 14th, 2010, 10:53 PM. Reason: thread merged, updating link
    Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

While scouting, watch for wetlands (streams, marshes, swamps) due to the buffer required under the Critical area ordinance: link HERE

My friend, Darren Nienaber, is the assistant city attorney for the city of Olympia and is an expert on land use (he cowrote two amendments to the Growth Management Act). Any environmental question? Shoot me a email at nativeson66@gmail.com and I'll ask Darren.
      Cheers, Bro
      Last edited by The Course Bro; January 14th, 2010, 10:18 AM. Reason: mis-spelled wurd
      What would you attempt to do if you knew you could not fail?

Comment

FYI, I've integrated you guys' potential sites into the main Washington map:

http://www.oregondiscgolf.com/washington_map.html
        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I live in Duvall and would welcome a course at Tolt McDonald. I've hiked around it before, but that was before I was into disc golf so wasn't thinking about it along those lines. If memory serves me correctly, it should be a good candidate. I will go check it out maybe even tomorrow.

I think we need a throw across the river, too short and your disc is gone.

I've also been in contact with some parks people and am working on getting some support. Will tell more when I know more.
          If only my discs would go where I want them to instead of where I throw 'em.

Comment

What are your thoughts on

Magnusson

Marymoor

St. Edwards

I've scoped all these out and they have possibilities. What about Discovery Park?

Comment

The number I picked up somewhere is for a pro level course the math is 1 acre per hole but I don't know is that is low or high (obviously we can get by with less-North Park 1/6th of an acre per hole) but if you think about Seatac or Milo (my personal template for a BIG course) that's some acreage there.

Comment

The larger courses in the Portland area (Dabney, Pier, McIver) are about 1 acre per hole. The absolute smallest (Rockwood, Hoover) are 0.5 acres/hole. Most are in between.
                Oregon disc golf map

Comment

I think one acre per hole is right for a really big, championship caliber course that Washington would be proud of. If North Park is 1/6 then we know we would need a little more than that (1/3 or larger) for a decent sized course. Although the land at North park is cleverly used to fit nine holes plus dual pads, we would want more space as NP is VERY cramped.
                  Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Q

I have yet to find a smaller 18 hole course. Anyone?

King County Parks has 25000 acres available including old dumps that are sealed, covered and have some mature plants plus they are fenced off so disc golf only! I figure 60 acres could fit a 18 hole beginner course (fun for other with putters only), a 18 hole intermediate course about the size/challenge of a Lakewood/Terrace/White River and a 18 to 27 hole OH MY GOD THAT'S HUGE course so I can play fairway golf without driving to Oregon. Plus I want some (&U*%&*#$%&!!! par 4,5,6,7,8 holes!!! How many par 4 holes are there in the entire state of Washington?
                    This whole idea is stolen from the PDGA courses in Georgia. Heaven (even if it is on Strom Thurmond Reservoir ) is three different courses RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!! Plus a modest area for putting and a small pro shop (see attachments).

Comment

I think it would depend heavily on the maturity of the plants. I don't think it would be all that fun to wait 10 years for an open dump site to mature into a real golf course.

Also, my personal opinion is that the top priority is a championship caliber course (or 2!) - we've got beginner and intermediate courses already and they are easier to find land for later. With big acreage, I'd rather see multiple championship courses.
                      'Weekend 4 Women':
                      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Originally posted by The Course Bro View Post
                        I have yet to find a smaller 18 hole course. Anyone?

King County Parks has 25000 acres available including old dumps that are sealed, covered and have some mature plants plus they are fenced off so disc golf only! I figure 60 acres could fit a 18 hole beginner course (fun for other with putters only), a 18 hole intermediate course about the size/challenge of a Lakewood/Terrace/White River and a 18 to 27 hole OH MY GOD THAT'S HUGE course so I can play fairway golf without driving to Oregon. Plus I want some (&U*%&*#$%&!!! par 4,5,6,7,8 holes!!! How many par 4 holes are there in the entire state of Washington?
                        This whole idea is stolen from the PDGA courses in Georgia. Heaven (even if it is on Strom Thurmond Reservoir ) is three different courses RIGHT NEXT TO EACH OTHER!!!! Plus a modest area for putting and a small pro shop (see attachments).
                        Sounds like a Hornings North! Only Horning's has camping available. It would be awesome to have a big course complex like that, but it would especially be awesome to be able to offer camping. WA as a whole is woefully short on courses with camping available. Does anyone know of potential sites with campsites in the area?
                        Untwist thine undergarments, 'tis but a Frisbee.

Comment

Help, I'm lost in the Forum

I'm new to this forum and I am having a little trouble finding threads that I've responded to. Is there no feature that allows one to track their own posts?

Also, I posted this here because on the 14th I was searching through new disc golf courses and responded to someone who was thinking about the Tolt Macdonald Park in Carnation. I said I would go walk it the next day (Friday) and I did. I wanted to report what I found, but I can't find that thread. I also asked people what they thought of the possibilities of:

Magnusonn Park (Seattle Parks)

Marymore Park (King County)

St. Edwards Park (Washington St. Parks)

So if a moderator or anyone who knows how I might better navigate these threads I'd appreciate some tips. I've also come across a map of Washington that shows existing and potential disc golf courses and I don't know how to find it when I want it.

Help!

P.S. when you reply would you please PM me too. Thanks

Comment

Originally posted by Tim View Post
                            Sounds like a Hornings North! Only Horning's has camping available. It would be awesome to have a big course complex like that, but it would especially be awesome to be able to offer camping. WA as a whole is woefully short on courses with camping available. Does anyone know of potential sites with campsites in the area?
                            Tolt McDonald Park in Carnation: on-site camping with available yurt rentals, 500+ acres, , elevation changes galore, mountain bike trails, all on the Snoqualmie River. It's pinned on the map.
                            Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Choco View Post
                              What are your thoughts on

Magnusson

Marymoor

St. Edwards

I've scoped all these out and they have possibilities. What about Discovery Park?

Magnusson: Way crowded and I think the wetlands are OB to any use.

Marymoor: The parks people are aware that we'd like a chunk of it. There was even talk of taking Juel's baskets and putting them in Marymoor.

St Edwards: I think that's a state park, so that's a much bigger beuracracy to deal with. It'd be a nice spot for golf.
                              Panda...it's what's for dinner!

Team Deucebag

Comment

Originally posted by Choco View Post
                                I'm new to this forum and I am having a little trouble finding threads that I've responded to. Is there no feature that allows one to track their own posts?

Also, I posted this here because on the 14th I was searching through new disc golf courses and responded to someone who was thinking about the Tolt Macdonald Park in Carnation. I said I would go walk it the next day (Friday) and I did. I wanted to report what I found, but I can't find that thread. I also asked people what they thought of the possibilities of:

Magnusonn Park (Seattle Parks)

Marymore Park (King County)

St. Edwards Park (Washington St. Parks)

So if a moderator or anyone who knows how I might better navigate these threads I'd appreciate some tips. I've also come across a map of Washington that shows existing and potential disc golf courses and I don't know how to find it when I want it.

Help!

P.S. when you reply would you please PM me too. Thanks
                                OK, the post you are talking about is number 20 on this thread, on page one, this is page number two. How you find the number of the post is look to the top right of the post near the red flag, in fact left of the flag. If you want to see all of your recent posts, click on your own name, then you should see a couple of tabs that say "visitor messages" "about me" "statistics" etc. click on statistics, then go down to where it says "find all posts by choco" click that and it will show you a list of your recent postings.

If you want to find what page you are on, scroll down to the end of the posts on that page and on the right hand side you will see "page 1 of 2" or page "1 of 1" etc. click on the page number you want and it will take you there.

There is a link to that map, at least the map I think you are talking about, it's post number 1 on this thread (the first post on this thread on page one)

PM sent as well.
                                Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X