What did you get out of the SDG meeting last night? Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
new posts

  • What did you get out of the SDG meeting last night?

    The main feeling I had while listening to everybody is that there's a high chance for a relative slew of new courses in the 'burbs, as long as we play our cards right and assemble a strong labor force.

    One thing Tuffi mentioned to me was that we need to form some teams that will scout areas heavily for possible new courses. By heavily, I mean with a few discs, notes/maps, etc. I feel that with some well-organized and meaningful data- other major park uses, acreage, elevation changes, etc. we will have a better shot at convincing the county to give us some $$ and a thumbs-up for basket installation and course construction.

    A few numbers I heard thrown around were $100,000 from King County and $75,000 from Youth Sports Foundation, which sounds like a damn good bit of news for Seattle area DGers. Many in attendance knew exactly the forms and political requirements required apply for this money, and I liked the sound of that as well.

    What else did people take away from the meeting?
    The only thing miraculous about ICP is the fact that their children look like them...

  • #2
    Hey Chuck, we already have a forum for Seattle Disc Golf set up here: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...play.php?f=163

    Maybe a Mod can move this thread over please?

    But anyway yeah Chuck I came away with the same type of conclusion: that this area will get better in the coming months and years if we continue to work together with each other and people like T.J. from King County. I am excited to look over the by-laws when Lowell gets a hold of those and I am very excited moving forward, this meeting was a lot more than I expected it to be, I was surprised but in a good way, especially that everyone and everything was so positive and that we had such a great turnout.
    Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

    ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

    Comment


    • #3
      Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
      Hey Chuck, we already have a forum for Seattle Disc Golf set up here: http://www.nwdiscgolfnews.com/forum/...play.php?f=163

      Maybe a Mod can move this thread over please?

      But anyway yeah Chuck I came away with the same type of conclusion: that this area will get better in the coming months and years if we continue to work together with each other and people like T.J. from King County. I am excited to look over the by-laws when Lowell gets a hold of those and I am very excited moving forward, this meeting was a lot more than I expected it to be, I was surprised but in a good way, especially that everyone and everything was so positive and that we had such a great turnout.
      Moved!
      "You won't like me when I am angry, because I always back up my rage with facts and documented sources". - The Credible Hulk

      Comment


      • #4
        Very productive

        Yeah, great idea on the thread Chuck.

        I agree that TJ's presentation was really exciting to hear. I think you and Tuffi are totally right that we need to develop a systematic way of looking at parks and writing up reviews - I'm wondering if a new thread in this section just about different parks and reviews would do the trick. That way, everyone can be involved in checking out new places and sharing information so we can more systematically determine which parks work (and for what they will work - casual 9, championship 18+, etc), on our end anyway, and which ones we know aren't ideal for disc golf.

        Seriously, for those who weren't there, the next step in the process for leveraging the development funds set aside by King Co suggested by TJ was that we start looking at park space which has the potential for course development . Having said that, it sounds like it *may* be a long process to find a piece of land that fits our needs and the requirements that King Co must fulfill.


        My other thoughts:

        It was great to get so many people (total count was 28!) at this meeting. I think it demonstrates the excitement building in the area around some of this stuff. We do have a lot of expertise in areas that will be helpful to getting new courses and leveraging the $$, but there is definitely a lot of work to do!

        Lowell is going to be providing a workgroup with the current bylaws/ constitution to review and consult with the current club officers about. Tim Coye, Thomas Little, Aaron Holley, Andrew Rivers, Kelly Smith, Bro Berg, and Curt Mott all volunteered to review the current club bylaws/ constitution and will consult and make recommendation for change with the current club board of Lowell Shields, Gordy Kirkpatrick, and Bill Weyrick.

        My take was that the Youth Sports Facilities Grant (YSFG) deadline is coming up soon, sometime in March, and that the club will have to act very quickly to be able to have a chance of obtaining those additional funds ($75,000).
        For the record, information about the YSFG is here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation...ners/ysfg.aspx

        The other grant that is really just waiting for a course is called Community Partnerships and Grants (CPG) and information for this fund ($100,000 for us) can be found here:
        http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation...tnerships.aspx

        We also spoke a little about communication options for events, club business, etc. It sounds like we will need a multipronged approach to reach those who prefer internet sources for their information and for those who use course kiosks and word of mouth for most information. The latest idea I heard was that a website like www.seattlediscgolf.com could house most of the club business (it currently does not, but I will be updating this weekend to include this information). To do this, we will need to post information at course kiosks that can link people to the website and we may need to develop a way (individuals who are responsible at each course) to cross-advertise events in Seattle at the kiosks.


        The action steps I took out of this meeting just to keep myself focused on what needs to be done was:
        1. Check out parks for courses
        2. Review the current club constitution/bylaws
        3. Schedule an official club meeting
        4. Find course volunteers who can post information at their respective course kiosks (Curt volunteered for Terrace Creek, I'm going to ask Tuffi about Lakewood/Seatac, need a rep for North Park and for Juel)



        Please let me know if I left anything critical off of here!
        Last edited by cefire; January 8th, 2010, 04:49 PM. Reason: Fixing the name error
        'Weekend 4 Women':
        Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
        Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

        Comment


        • #5
          Wow, lot's of exciting news... wish I could've made the meeting.
          I will volunteer for NP Andrew. Once membership issues are ironed out, perhaps there could be a club 'recruitment committee' with rep's from each course.
          Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

          Comment


          • #6
            I would like to help with club recruitment too if needed. I can partner up with anyone who wants a little extra help. I have contacts if needed to make t-shirts and metal water bottles that could be sold at a reasonable price but at the same time help create extra funds to be put towards the SDGC. Just a thought but I know people have mentioned before how they would like to see some stuff to help show our colors.....Let me know what I can do and I would like to make sure I am at the next meeting as well. Nice work everyone.
            "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**


            You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
            -- Arthur Ashe

            Comment


            • #7
              Originally posted by cefire View Post
              Lowell is going to be providing a workgroup with the current bylaws/ constitution to review and consult with the current club officers about. Tim Coye, Thomas Little, Aaron Holley, Andrew Rivers, Kelly Little, Bro Berg, and Curt Mott all volunteered to review the current club bylaws/ constitution and will consult and make recommendation for change with the current club board of Lowell Shields, Gordy Kirkpatrick, and Bill Weyrick.
              Sounds great Andrew except for one thing; Kelly's last name is Smith, not Little, he's my dad but he's actually my step-dad.
              Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

              ~ Cyndi Lauper ~

              Comment


              • #8
                Aha, I will correct!
                'Weekend 4 Women':
                Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

                Comment


                • #9
                  Originally posted by cefire View Post
                  Yeah, great idea on the thread Chuck.

                  I agree that TJ's presentation was really exciting to hear. I think you and Tuffi are totally right that we need to develop a systematic way of looking at parks and writing up reviews - I'm wondering if a new thread in this section just about different parks and reviews would do the trick. That way, everyone can be involved in checking out new places and sharing information so we can more systematically determine which parks work (and for what they will work - casual 9, championship 18+, etc), on our end anyway, and which ones we know aren't ideal for disc golf.

                  Seriously, for those who weren't there, the next step in the process for leveraging the development funds set aside by King Co suggested by TJ was that we start looking at park space which has the potential for course development . Having said that, it sounds like it *may* be a long process to find a piece of land that fits our needs and the requirements that King Co must fulfill.


                  My other thoughts:

                  It was great to get so many people (total count was 28!) at this meeting. I think it demonstrates the excitement building in the area around some of this stuff. We do have a lot of expertise in areas that will be helpful to getting new courses and leveraging the $$, but there is definitely a lot of work to do!

                  Lowell is going to be providing a workgroup with the current bylaws/ constitution to review and consult with the current club officers about. Tim Coye, Thomas Little, Aaron Holley, Andrew Rivers, Kelly Smith, Bro Berg, and Curt Mott all volunteered to review the current club bylaws/ constitution and will consult and make recommendation for change with the current club board of Lowell Shields, Gordy Kirkpatrick, and Bill Weyrick.

                  My take was that the Youth Sports Facilities Grant (YSFG) deadline is coming up soon, sometime in March, and that the club will have to act very quickly to be able to have a chance of obtaining those additional funds ($75,000).
                  For the record, information about the YSFG is here: http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation...ners/ysfg.aspx

                  The other grant that is really just waiting for a course is called Community Partnerships and Grants (CPG) and information for this fund ($100,000 for us) can be found here:
                  http://www.kingcounty.gov/recreation...tnerships.aspx

                  We also spoke a little about communication options for events, club business, etc. It sounds like we will need a multipronged approach to reach those who prefer internet sources for their information and for those who use course kiosks and word of mouth for most information. The latest idea I heard was that a website like www.seattlediscgolf.com could house most of the club business (it currently does not, but I will be updating this weekend to include this information). To do this, we will need to post information at course kiosks that can link people to the website and we may need to develop a way (individuals who are responsible at each course) to cross-advertise events in Seattle at the kiosks.


                  The action steps I took out of this meeting just to keep myself focused on what needs to be done was:
                  1. Check out parks for courses
                  2. Review the current club constitution/bylaws
                  3. Schedule an official club meeting
                  4. Find course volunteers who can post information at their respective course kiosks (Curt volunteered for Terrace Creek, I'm going to ask Tuffi about Lakewood/Seatac, need a rep for North Park and for Juel)



                  Please let me know if I left anything critical off of here!
                  Andrew: Numbers 1, 2 and 4 seem to have happened (or are happening) ... how is #3 coming along? See you on Saturday. Ken

                  Comment


                  • #10
                    I can be the Juel guy
                    "I love it when a plan comes together" -John 'Hannibal' Smith

                    Comment


                    • #11
                      Yes, things are moving along and I'll make some calls and see if we can get at least a date in the near future scheduled for another general meeting.

                      To update everyone on the bylaws process: I'm still in the process of compiling suggestions for the bylaws into a comprehensive document and then the review team will be meeting with Lowell, Gordy, and Bill to discuss potential revisions/changes.

                      I will post here when I know more!
                      'Weekend 4 Women':
                      Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                      Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

                      Comment


                      • #12
                        Just spoke with Lowell again and it looks like we will be having our by-laws review meeting tentatively on the 13th of February, in the evening so it won't interfere with the Sumner tourney.

                        I think it makes sense to schedule a general meeting after this meeting and after the upcoming (hint, hint) meeting about Westcrest park THIS SATURDAY.

                        I know its still moving rather slowly, but I'm not sure anyone wants to attend meetings where there isn't new concrete developments and goals.

                        Sound good?
                        'Weekend 4 Women':
                        Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                        Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

                        Comment


                        • #13
                          Originally posted by cefire View Post
                          Just spoke with Lowell again and it looks like we will be having our by-laws review meeting tentatively on the 13th of February, in the evening so it won't interfere with the Sumner tourney.

                          I think it makes sense to schedule a general meeting after this meeting and after the upcoming (hint, hint) meeting about Westcrest park THIS SATURDAY.

                          I know its still moving rather slowly, but I'm not sure anyone wants to attend meetings where there isn't new concrete developments and goals.

                          Sound good?
                          Yep, sounds good. Thanks Rivers.

                          Comment


                          • #14
                            Did the meeting take place?
                            Don't just walk past that candy wrapper on the fairway-- I know you saw it!

                            Comment


                            • #15
                              The quick answer is no, it was rescheduled for this weekend because the current board wanted more time to review the bylaws. However, I have yet to confirm even this weekend's meeting (not for lack of trying!). I'll make a few more calls but I've also got PretzelBowl stuff to be wrapping up before Sat.
                              'Weekend 4 Women':
                              Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
                              Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

                              Comment

                              Announcement Announcement Module
                              Collapse
                              No announcement yet.
                              Working...
                              X