Get together to discuss the future of disc golf in Seattle: 1/6/10 7:00 PM Page Title Module
Move Remove Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Starting a Disc Golf Club article on PDGA

This may or may not have been mentioned, but seems like useful information:

http://www.pdga.com/affiliate_club/start-club

Comment

Originally posted by cefire View Post
      Based on conversations with a few people I've got a little bit of an agenda for the current meeting (which of course is just one person's thoughts and can be edited in any way!):

1. What are our priorities for improving disc golf in Seattle? (New courses, events, course maintenance, etc.)
      2. What are our priorities for a club/organization?
      3. Communication? (I'm thinking like maybe a unified mailing list or something for all Seattle Disc Golfers? What are other ways that work for spreading info about work parties, events, etc.?)
      4. Updates on current goings on (Keith from Chainbangers about his work, perhaps someone with information on potential Federal Way courses)
      5. Lakewood construction/maintenance update?
      6. Terrace Creek redesign update?

What else do people want to add???

Hey Andrew was Keith invited to this meeting? If not I know him pretty well and have a contact number for him besides the shop.

I would like to see us do something similar to the West Sound Disc Golf Association, check out their website (http://www.wsdga.org) and take a look at their bylaws and articles of incorporation specifically.
      Sometimes my mind boggles. It's so deep my mind actually boggles.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

And, we're back to the show and at least one or two of those posts actually accomplished something constructive. Mods, any way we can clean this thing up???

Great post Mr. Snooksie - I'll bring a few copies of that article along with me and hopefully a few others can read it before the meeting??

Yeah, Silly, I spoke with Keith and he said he'll be at the meeting - I'll call him and give him a reminder tomorrow as well, I've got his #

I just hope everyone realizes that we're TRYING, its been extremely hard to get everyone on the same page, and even now we're nowhere near where I was hoping. But at the same time, I've got to say its been really frustrating to deal with all the negativity that continues to be directed at the very few volunteers here who are trying to get things AT LEAST moving. I've been here for a little more than a year, I have very little clue about past histories in Seattle, I'm busy just like everyone else, but even so I'm out here giving things a go.

If you (internet reader) feels frustrated, imagine what the volunteers feel like...

For one day, Wednesday that is, lets all temporarily repress the past and figure out what we can do better in the future.

Requisite smiley guys:
        Last edited by cefire; January 4th, 2010, 09:48 PM.
        'Weekend 4 Women':
        Saturday, June 30th - Sudoku Showdown II - FREE PDGA XC Tier
        Sunday, July 1st - Seattle SuperClassic - FREE PDGA XC Tier

Comment

Andrew, I completely agree with your sentiment about keeping things positive and focusing on the issues at hand (not bitching about stuff). I'm just happy that we can get together, outside of a DG course, and talk about the local disc golf scene and what we can (organizationally) to make things better, more organized, and more fun.

Comment

How many are we expecting tonight?

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

I know of about 10 who said either in email or in person that they will be there. Other than that, you probably know as well as I do...

We'll find out in an hour or so
              'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

Yeah we know how that goes sometimes, hehe. Sounds good though, at least something is happening.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Totally slipped my mind until I just read this post. I am sorry I missed the meeting but will make sure I make it next time. Maybe I can carpool with Toby or Thomas. Glad it is happening and am excited to hear where we go next!
                  "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                  -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

That was the first time I've been in a room full (overflowing, really) with people talking about what can/should/will be done to improve our local disc golf scene... and it felt GREAT! Sure, at first there were a lot of "yeah, but..." type comments, and at times it felt like a boisterous town hall meeting, but by the end of it some really good info and ideas were put on the table, and most importantly initiative was taken to continue this constructive conversation where we left off tonight.

It was generally agreed that the central location for all club news & goings on will be Andrew's www.seattlediscgolf.com which has been in his signature for a few months now. Of course news about future meetings will still be posted in this thread, and this will continue to serve as the main online discussion forum for the club, but we want to move toward treating NWDGN as just one of several veins to lead people to the club website for an official and complete source for club info.

As I understand it, there is a committee formed to look at the existing club bylaws and see what needs to be updated or modified to establish some real organization as far as what our priorities are, and how the club and future meetings will be run. See you all at the next meeting, time and venue TBA.
                    anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                      That was the first time I've been in a room full (overflowing, really) with people talking about what can/should/will be done to improve our local disc golf scene... and it felt GREAT! Sure, at first there were a lot of "yeah, but..." type comments, and at times it felt like a boisterous town hall meeting, but by the end of it some really good info and ideas were put on the table, and most importantly initiative was taken to continue this constructive conversation where we left off tonight.

It was generally agreed that the central location for all club news & goings on will be Andrew's www.seattlediscgolf.com which has been in his signature for a few months now. Of course news about future meetings will still be posted in this thread, and this will continue to serve as the main online discussion forum for the club, but we want to move toward treating NWDGN as just one of several veins to lead people to the club website for an official and complete source for club info.

As I understand it, there is a committee formed to look at the existing club bylaws and see what needs to be updated or modified to establish some real organization as far as what our priorities are, and how the club and future meetings will be run. See you all at the next meeting, time and venue TBA.
                      I feel really good about that meeting, everything is all out in the open and I think we are all on the same page and working together for the same goals. I am excited about the future of Seattle Disc Golf, I have to apologize for some of my comments as of late but my frustration level had almost reached it's critical mass I hope you can all forgive me. A lot more people showed up then I expected and the meeting was much more positive then I expected and I want to thank all of you who showed up. A lot of people were saying "Who's Sillybizz?" I'm not sure if that's a good thing or not, lol but now you all know. One of my favorite parts was the Parks Department guy (I apologize I forgot his name) saying that there is a ton of land and money waiting for us and it doesn't even have to be in King County.

Originally posted by JR Stengele View Post
                      Totally slipped my mind until I just read this post. I am sorry I missed the meeting but will make sure I make it next time. Maybe I can carpool with Toby or Thomas. Glad it is happening and am excited to hear where we go next!
                      I'll give you a call or something next time buddy and we can carpool for sure.

~ Cyndi Lauper ~

Comment

Originally posted by killa View Post
                        It was generally agreed that the central location for all club news & goings on will be Andrew's www.seattlediscgolf.com which has been in his signature for a few months now. Of course news about future meetings will still be posted in this thread, and this will continue to serve as the main online discussion forum for the club...
                        Do you want us to create a separate section on NWDGN for Seattle Disc Golf Club discussion?
                        Oregon disc golf map

Comment

Adam, I think that would be a good thing to do. It would be strange to arbitrarily pick one of several possible locations, possibly making some people feel that this is being territorial.

I counted 28 people (27 put their e-mails on the sign in sheet). I shot out an e-mail with everybody on it to get that e-mail "thread" started. For some reason Curt's and Nathan Bell's came back after I re-sent it twice to them. Not sure if it's on your end guys, or mine?

Thanks to all that showed. My office was really swallowed up by everybody, so sorry about that.

The man from King County is TJ Davis. Many thanks to TJ for that great information!!

Wow. Let's keep this going. The hard work is yet to come. Ken

Comment

I'd like to echo the comments about the really positive nature of the meeting. I know I learned a lot about what is possible for the road ahead and it was great to see soo many people come out to the meeting.

I'm going to work on the website a bit tomorrow and upload a short description of the meeting (not minutes though) and what the action steps that came out of it were.
                            'Weekend 4 Women':

Comment

That's great, Andrew. I agree that minutes are not the most important thing to be recorded from that meeting. Perhaps later when the conversation is more structured. Thanks again for doing your part in getting things rolling. You should also be commended for keeping things focused enough during the meeting to cover most everything from your agenda... and for being so darned positive and level headed. Three cheers for Andrew!
                              anything truly worth doing is not likely to be easy.

Comment

Originally posted by sillybizz View Post
                                One of my favorite parts was the Parks Department guy (I apologize I forgot his name) saying that there is a ton of land and money waiting for us and it doesn't even have to be in King County.

How about Everett??!!??@!@
                                "What's in the bag", pdga #37977, dgcr #356, **Team Chainbanger'z**

You are never really playing an opponent. You are playing yourself, your own highest standards, and when you reach your limits, that is real joy.
                                -- Arthur Ashe

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X