Move Remove Collapse
X
Conversation Detail Module
Collapse
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

I finally got out and played the course. Hats off to everyone who put time, money, and effort into getting this course in the ground. Its ridiculously good, and requires a lot of shots that you simply don't ever need to throw at HB or DR. Its cool walking up to a narrow, slight hyzer hole and actually needing to throw a gentle hyzer flip that barely flips flat, or a hole that can use a long downhill turnover shot that requires hitting an early gap. I also like that elevation comes into play on almost every hole. I found almost every teepad and pin easily, and that's always nice when playing a new course. Here's to hoping that the bikers and golfers can co-exist and have a good relationship.
    We're at our best when it's from our hips

Comment

Happy to hear you like it Parks. We have had several meetings with Bikers, Hikers, and the City Parks to come up with what you have played. We are fully approved to be where we are as of right now. I am working with our team on the the second course's initial design and it will take a year to be able to begin construction. The upper course will be easier to design around bike trails because there is way less congestion up top. I also have found a route that really minimizes the severeity of the hike, and maximizes the downhill potential on each shot. Should be two uphill holes, 4 slightly uphill shots with all the rest being flat or slightly to extremely downhill. It will be a blast!
      Relax and enjoy your hair
      TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Originally posted by Yoduh View Post
        We have had several meetings with Bikers, Hikers, and the City Parks to come up with what you have played. We are fully approved to be where we are as of right now.
        I know that, but I'm more talking about the golfers out there playing and the bikers that are riding that may be casual park users and not a member of any bike or disc club. These people may not really know who is supposed to be where, and there is always the possibility of conflict when the two groups are each trying to do their own thing near each other.

Comment

Originally posted by Parks View Post
          I know that, but I'm more talking about the golfers out there playing and the bikers that are riding that may be casual park users and not a member of any bike or disc club. These people may not really know who is supposed to be where, and there is always the possibility of conflict when the two groups are each trying to do their own thing near each other.
          Exactly, I feel that this is possibly the single most important factor that could make or break this amazing place. I have noticed that virtually every biker I have come across has either been afraid or just doesn't want to make eye contact and acknowledge our presence there. I make it a point to be as friendly as possible and say hello to them when they pass (on the "in between" connector trails, not the actual tracks, mind you)

We all need to do our best to be positive ambassadors for the sport in hopes we can continue working on a positive relationship with the other users of the area as a whole.
          SDGA PR Guy.... bringing the Public to the Relations... or the Relations to the Public?

Comment

The city is supposed to be coming up with signage to direct bikers, hikers and we are generating our own signage. It will take a bit to get the wrinkles ironed out but I think we can figure it out.
            TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Hey, I noticed there was some kind of event going on last Saturday on Jamboree. What was it? What part of this board are you posting Sickani events on?
              "Please throw away or pack out your garbage--except for glow stick litter."

Comment

Originally posted by White Walls View Post
                Hey, I noticed there was some kind of event going on last Saturday on Jamboree. What was it? What part of this board are you posting Sickani events on?
                The event you saw is the weekly doubles event. The weeklies information is posted on the Disc Golf Uprising Facebook page.

Comment

Originally posted by jtoney View Post
                  The event you saw is the weekly doubles event. The weeklies information is posted on the Disc Golf Uprising Facebook page.
                  Thank you.

Anybody know when Sickani will get its own sub-forum on this board? I'm sure more people are likely to check this site than DGU's facebook page.
                  Last edited by White Walls; March 10th, 2013, 08:02 PM. Reason: grammar
                  "Please throw away or pack out your garbage--except for glow stick litter."

Comment

This is sekanis sub forum. As of right now dubs starts at 9:30 ob saturday. It's $7 to register.
                    TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

HUGE Bike Event

Originally posted by Simmeltron View Post

We all need to do our best to be positive ambassadors for the sport in hopes we can continue working on a positive relationship with the other users of the area as a whole.
                      So will the disc golf courses at Sekani be closed for the HUGE bike event March 22-24?

Comment

Originally posted by Lyounger View Post
                        So will the disc golf courses at Sekani be closed for the HUGE bike event March 22-24?
                        ill be playing downriver that weekend to avoid the madness of sekani. the bikers need the parking slots cause theres gonna be a lot of them.. i think out of respect we should close the course for that weekend.

just from the sounds of this message on the bikers website, its gonna be packed to the gills that weekend.

"Spread the word! This will be the final Double Down Hoe Down, and the last year of racing at Beacon Hill. A new landowner has taken ownership of the top of the hill and it sounds like we will be losing all trails above Girthmore.

Lushcinema will be out to document the end of downhill mountain bike racing at Beacon Hill, so please help us make this a year to remember!"

Comment

Thanks for the reminder Leslie. We were aware of it and it has been being worked on in the MOU meetings. Since there is no official decision yet from the parks department and the city we have talked to the Mountain biking organization. We are going to physically close holes 5, 10, 11 and 18. These at the request of the event organizer. We are also encouraging disc golfers to play another place March 22-24th. It should be busy and probably won't be the best place to play. We also know that not all golfers are on the Forums and Facebook and the task of physically closing down a whole entire course is not easy. Just as closing down Mountain bike trails isn't either. I will be going up to monitor the situation and the organizer has our contact info if there needs to be further closures. I also can't wait to see the freestyle competition!
                          TNT Yardworks.com

Comment

Feedback 50/50

I want to give kudos to the 50% of the golfers who are being wonderful stewards of the sport and of the local course. Your attitude and behavior goes a long way to growing cooperation between us and other park users.

To those other 50% who are obtuse (and especially those three golfers at Jamboree who were harrassing the poor 10 year old who was trying to get his chain back on his bike and wandered too close to your basket) PLEASE you guys....be civil...be polite...be patient.... Your actions poison the GOOD work others are doing to try to provide all of us with ample and phenomenal places to play.

Comment

So I shouldn't have gone and pooped on every bike ramp that I could find? I really wish you had posted this yesterday...

Comment

Crap

Originally posted by Parks View Post
                                So I shouldn't have gone and pooped on every bike ramp that I could find? I really wish you had posted this yesterday...
                                Yep, I knew I recognized that stink, Parks!!!

BTW, the word is there will hundreds of campers pouring in over the next few days into that big open field at Camp Sekani on the DG side for the Double Down Hoe Down this weekend.....
                                Last edited by Lyounger; March 20th, 2013, 02:24 PM. Reason: spelling correction

Comment

Announcement Announcement Module
                                Collapse
                                No announcement yet.
                                Working...
                                X